Help - problem with last automatic update

few days ago the microsoft automatic update center downloaded to my computer
the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - March 2005 (KB890830).

Since then I have experienced problems with my wireless network connection.
The signal has disappeared and when I press the repair, or connect button I
do not get any result.

If I use the utility software provided with my network card everything works
fine but if I try to us Windows' it does not work. My network is on the list
of the available wireless networks but cannot connect.

Sometimes I get an error saying that the network has failed to provide a
valid IP.

The same thing has happened with the laptop of my wife, that is connected to
the same network.

Anyone knows what the problem is?

Malke

Acrichar wrote:

> few days ago the microsoft automatic update center downloaded to my
> computer the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - March 2005
> (KB890830).
>
> Since then I have experienced problems with my wireless network
> connection. The signal has disappeared and when I press the repair, or
> connect button I do not get any result.
>
> If I use the utility software provided with my network card everything
> works fine but if I try to us Windows' it does not work. My network is
> on the list of the available wireless networks but cannot connect.
>
> Sometimes I get an error saying that the network has failed to provide
> a valid IP.
>
> The same thing has happened with the laptop of my wife, that is
> connected to the same network.
>
> Anyone knows what the problem is?

Unless both you and your wife's machines are infected, it is unlikely
that the MSRT did anything. It runs and if it doesn't find the target
infectors for which it was created it leaves. It doesn't install itself
or make any changes. It is more likely that you got a Windows Update
for a network driver and you took it, not knowing that installing
drivers from Windows Update is not a good idea. Try either rolling back
your network adapter drivers or, if that doesn't work, updating the
drivers from the card mftr.'s website. As far as using the card mftr.'s
connectivity software, that's fine and your experience is normal - you
have to choose which method you want to use, Windows or the network
card utility; you can't use both.

Of course, you must have current antivirus installed using updated
definitions. Virus and/or malware infections can definitely cause
problems with network connectivity.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User