8KNXP 1.x Hard drive config

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2005 11:54:56 PM

I have an 8KNXP Rev 1 board, and am having trouble setting up my desired
combination of drives.
I don't use RAID.

I have:
1 x 80Gb SATA drive (boot drive)
1 x 40Gb PATA drive (used for data backup)
2 x optical drives (CD-RW & DVD-RW)

And I've just added:
1 x 160Gb SATA drive (data)

I have the two SATA drive plugged into the first of the two SATA
controllers, which remaps the two SATA drives as Primary PATA master and
slave.
But doing this locks out the 40Gb PATA drive, which is plugged into the
primary IDE channel.
The two optical drives are on the secondary PATA channel.

Is there a way to have both SATA drives AND the PATA 40Gb drive available?

The whole SATA/RAID config in the BIOS is very confusing!

Thanks for any help

--
NeilA
Sydney, Australia

"NeilA" <ngroup@N_O_S_P_A_Matrixministry.net> wrote in message

>I have an 8KNXP Rev 1 board, and am having trouble setting up my desired
>combination of drives.
> I don't use RAID.
>
> I have:
> 1 x 80Gb SATA drive (boot drive)
> 1 x 40Gb PATA drive (used for data backup)
> 2 x optical drives (CD-RW & DVD-RW)
>
> And I've just added:
> 1 x 160Gb SATA drive (data)
>
> I have the two SATA drive plugged into the first of the two SATA
> controllers, which remaps the two SATA drives as Primary PATA master and
> slave.
> But doing this locks out the 40Gb PATA drive, which is plugged into the
> primary IDE channel.
> The two optical drives are on the secondary PATA channel.
>
> Is there a way to have both SATA drives AND the PATA 40Gb drive available?
>
> The whole SATA/RAID config in the BIOS is very confusing!

Follow these steps, and hopefully I haven't forgotten anything. You'll need
to enable and install the 82801ER (ICH5R) SATA RAID controller.

1. Back up everything as a precaution.

2. Go to the Gigabyte or Intel site and download the IAA (82801ER) drivers.
Put the four driver files (IASTOR.SYS, IASTOR.INF, IASTOR.CAT, TXSETUP.OEM)
on a floppy disk.

3. Reboot, enter bios and change the following items:
On-Chip SATA: Manual
SATA Port0 Configure as: SATA Port0
SATA Port1 Configure as: SATA Port1
SATA RAID function: Enabled

Keep in mind that the "On-board SATA" is the Sil3112 controller, which isn't
what you're trying to enable.

4. XP will find the new hardware (82801ER SATA RAID controller) and will
prompt for drivers. Point to the floppy and let them install.

5. Reboot, enter bios and make sure your Hard Disk Boot Priority is set
properly (mine reads "Intel RAID_Volume1" with a RAID0 array), then let it
boot into XP. You should then be in business.

Caveat: I used this procedure on the same mobo and it worked perfectly, but
I started with my OS on a PATA drive, and enabled the SATA RAID controller
before installing a SATA drive. I installed the SATA drive after Step 4,
and between Step 4 and 5 I cloned the PATA to SATA with Norton Ghost. Later
on (months later) I moved to RAID0 and that transition was also a piece of
cake.

This procedure should work as well, but please make sure you're backed up!

I believe the drives will stay mapped to the IDE controller until Step 5, at
which time the 82801ER will be installed and the drives will be picked up on
that controller, freeing the IDE controllers for IDE drives.

Please let us know if you run into any glitches.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 23, 2005 10:13:57 AM

"Bob Davis" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

> "NeilA" <ngroup@N_O_S_P_A_Matrixministry.net> wrote in message
>
>>I have an 8KNXP Rev 1 board, and am having trouble setting up my desired
>>combination of drives.
>> I don't use RAID.
>>
>> I have:
>> 1 x 80Gb SATA drive (boot drive)
>> 1 x 40Gb PATA drive (used for data backup)
>> 2 x optical drives (CD-RW & DVD-RW)
>>
>> And I've just added:
>> 1 x 160Gb SATA drive (data)
>>
>> I have the two SATA drive plugged into the first of the two SATA
>> controllers, which remaps the two SATA drives as Primary PATA master and
>> slave.
>> But doing this locks out the 40Gb PATA drive, which is plugged into the
>> primary IDE channel.
>> The two optical drives are on the secondary PATA channel.
>>
>> Is there a way to have both SATA drives AND the PATA 40Gb drive
>> available?
>>
>> The whole SATA/RAID config in the BIOS is very confusing!
>

> Follow these steps, and hopefully I haven't forgotten anything. You'll
> need
> to enable and install the 82801ER (ICH5R) SATA RAID controller.
>
> 1. Back up everything as a precaution.
>
> 2. Go to the Gigabyte or Intel site and download the IAA (82801ER)
> drivers.
> Put the four driver files (IASTOR.SYS, IASTOR.INF, IASTOR.CAT,
> TXSETUP.OEM)
> on a floppy disk.
>
> 3. Reboot, enter bios and change the following items:
> On-Chip SATA: Manual
> SATA Port0 Configure as: SATA Port0
> SATA Port1 Configure as: SATA Port1
> SATA RAID function: Enabled
>
> Keep in mind that the "On-board SATA" is the Sil3112 controller, which
> isn't what you're trying to enable.
>
> 4. XP will find the new hardware (82801ER SATA RAID controller) and will
> prompt for drivers. Point to the floppy and let them install.
>
> 5. Reboot, enter bios and make sure your Hard Disk Boot Priority is set
> properly (mine reads "Intel RAID_Volume1" with a RAID0 array), then let it
> boot into XP. You should then be in business.
>
> Caveat: I used this procedure on the same mobo and it worked perfectly,
> but
> I started with my OS on a PATA drive, and enabled the SATA RAID controller
> before installing a SATA drive. I installed the SATA drive after Step 4,
> and between Step 4 and 5 I cloned the PATA to SATA with Norton Ghost.
> Later
> on (months later) I moved to RAID0 and that transition was also a piece of
> cake.
>
> This procedure should work as well, but please make sure you're backed up!
>
> I believe the drives will stay mapped to the IDE controller until Step 5,
> at
> which time the 82801ER will be installed and the drives will be picked up
> on
> that controller, freeing the IDE controllers for IDE drives.
>
> Please let us know if you run into any glitches.

Bob

Thank you so much for the great level of detail in your response.

Your caveat does impact on my situation, but I will probably Ghost my boot
drive to a PATA drive, install that as the boot drive, and then go through
your process.

Out of interest, does setting the drives up as you suggest result in any
better performance from the SATA drives?
I've always felt that the remapping process I currently use, slows things
down a bit.

Thanks again.

--
Neil Atwood
Sydney, Australia

> "Bob Davis" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Follow these steps, and hopefully I haven't forgotten anything. You'll
>> need
>> to enable and install the 82801ER (ICH5R) SATA RAID controller.
>>
>> 1. Back up everything as a precaution.
>>
>> 2. Go to the Gigabyte or Intel site and download the IAA (82801ER)
>> drivers.
>> Put the four driver files (IASTOR.SYS, IASTOR.INF, IASTOR.CAT,
>> TXSETUP.OEM)
>> on a floppy disk.
>>
>> 3. Reboot, enter bios and change the following items:
>> On-Chip SATA: Manual
>> SATA Port0 Configure as: SATA Port0
>> SATA Port1 Configure as: SATA Port1
>> SATA RAID function: Enabled
>>
>> Keep in mind that the "On-board SATA" is the Sil3112 controller, which
>> isn't what you're trying to enable.
>>
>> 4. XP will find the new hardware (82801ER SATA RAID controller) and will
>> prompt for drivers. Point to the floppy and let them install.
>>
>> 5. Reboot, enter bios and make sure your Hard Disk Boot Priority is set
>> properly (mine reads "Intel RAID_Volume1" with a RAID0 array), then let
>> it boot into XP. You should then be in business.
>>
>> Caveat: I used this procedure on the same mobo and it worked perfectly,
>> but
>> I started with my OS on a PATA drive, and enabled the SATA RAID
>> controller
>> before installing a SATA drive. I installed the SATA drive after Step 4,
>> and between Step 4 and 5 I cloned the PATA to SATA with Norton Ghost.
>> Later
>> on (months later) I moved to RAID0 and that transition was also a piece
>> of cake.
>>
>> This procedure should work as well, but please make sure you're backed
>> up!
>>
>> I believe the drives will stay mapped to the IDE controller until Step 5,
>> at
>> which time the 82801ER will be installed and the drives will be picked up
>> on
>> that controller, freeing the IDE controllers for IDE drives.
>>
>> Please let us know if you run into any glitches.
>>

> Bob
>
> Thank you so much for the great level of detail in your response.
>
> Your caveat does impact on my situation, but I will probably Ghost my boot
> drive to a PATA drive, install that as the boot drive, and then go through
> your process.
>
> Out of interest, does setting the drives up as you suggest result in any
> better performance from the SATA drives?
> I've always felt that the remapping process I currently use, slows things
> down a bit.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> --
> Neil Atwood
> Sydney, Australia

Neil, doing the extra step of Ghosting to a PATA might be a good idea, but I
really can't think of a reason it wouldn't work with the SATA in place.
When you install the hardware and drivers, the SATA drive will be mapped
through IDE, and when you reboot again it should use the 82801ER SATA RAID
controller. I would think it would switch to it without issues.

You could use your clone to PATA as a backup in case the process goes awry.
Anyway, using the PATA route did work for me, so that is a known bit of
evidence. I've never heard about doing it the other way, so if you do it
you may be blazing a trail for others to follow. Do you feel like an
trailblazer? <g>

As for performance, I never did run my SATA drives mapped through IDE, so I
don't know. Before I did the PATA-to-SATA swap, I was advised to enable
RAID from the outset, which is what enables the 82801ER controller, mostly
to open the door for RAID installation later if desired, plus keeping my IDE
capabilities intact. I do seem to recall someone recommending it for
performance reasons, and the concensus at the time was to use the ICH5R
instead of Sil3112.

Since you want to retain operation of all your hardware, there would be some
other choices, too. You could always install a PCI controller, or enable
the Gigaraid (IDE) controller already on-board. I would try what we've been
talking about first, though.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 23, 2005 9:32:02 PM

> [...]
> of evidence. I've never heard about doing it the other way, so if you do
> it you may be blazing a trail for others to follow. Do you feel like an
> trailblazer? <g>
>
> As for performance, I never did run my SATA drives mapped through IDE, so
> I don't know. Before I did the PATA-to-SATA swap, I was advised to enable
> RAID from the outset, which is what enables the 82801ER controller, mostly
> to open the door for RAID installation later if desired, plus keeping my
> IDE capabilities intact. I do seem to recall someone recommending it for
> performance reasons, and the concensus at the time was to use the ICH5R
> instead of Sil3112.
>
> Since you want to retain operation of all your hardware, there would be
> some other choices, too. You could always install a PCI controller, or
> enable the Gigaraid (IDE) controller already on-board. I would try what

Thanks again Bob...

Appreciate the good advise... I've collected the drivers I need, so will
Ghost as a backup and then see how it all goes!

Will report back...

--
Neil Atwood
Sydney, Australia

> [...]
> of evidence. I've never heard about doing it the other way, so if you do
> it you may be blazing a trail for others to follow. Do you feel like an
> trailblazer? <g>
>
> As for performance, I never did run my SATA drives mapped through IDE, so
> I don't know. Before I did the PATA-to-SATA swap, I was advised to enable
> RAID from the outset, which is what enables the 82801ER controller, mostly
> to open the door for RAID installation later if desired, plus keeping my
> IDE capabilities intact. I do seem to recall someone recommending it for
> performance reasons, and the concensus at the time was to use the ICH5R
> instead of Sil3112.
>
> Since you want to retain operation of all your hardware, there would be
> some other choices, too. You could always install a PCI controller, or
> enable the Gigaraid (IDE) controller already on-board. I would try what

Hey Bob,

Just tried your instructions...

>>> On-Chip SATA: Manual
>>> SATA Port0 Configure as: SATA Port0
>>> SATA Port1 Configure as: SATA Port1
>>> SATA RAID function: Enabled

And saw a confiuration screen flash by, then the XP splash screen, then... a
BSOD! ;-)

So... back to square one at the moment...

But out of interest, If set the on board SATA settings in the BIOS to:

>>> On-Chip SATA: Manual
>>> SATA Port0 Configure as: SATA Port0
>>> SATA Port1 Configure as: SATA Port1
but with SATA RAID function: DISabled

I can't boot from the SATA drive... Why is that, and how can I boot from a
SATA drive without the remapping to IDE Master 1?

Thanks

Neil Atwood...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2005 3:19:40 PM

Ok Bob, - all solved and done.

For any others, here's a summary of what I did:

Original situation:

Drives:

On on-board SATA (82801ER Controller)
1 x 80GB SATA (boot)
1 x 160Gb SATA

2 x Optical drives (on secondary IDE channel)
1 x PATA HDD (on primary IDE channel)

Problem: SATA drives were being remapped to the primary IDE channel, locking
out the use of the PATA drive.

Solution:

Ghost (well, True Image, actually) Boot drive to spare PATA disk
Set SATA drives to SATA-0 and SATA-1 RAID enabled
Change boot order to PATA cloned disk
Boot system
Install 82801 drivers for RAID controller when Windows asks
Ghost PATA boot drive back to SATA-0 (original boot disk)
Change boot order in BIOS to SATA-0
Boot from SATA-0 disk

All done!

Speed on SATA drives is well up now, using the proper SATA drivers, and I
have access to the extra PATA drive on the IDE channel.

Thanks heaps Bob for your good advise...

Cheers

--
Neil Atwood
Sydney, Australia

> [...]
> but
> I started with my OS on a PATA drive, and enabled the SATA RAID controller
> before installing a SATA drive. I installed the SATA drive after Step 4,
> and between Step 4 and 5 I cloned the PATA to SATA with Norton Ghost.
> Later
> on (months later) I moved to RAID0 and that transition was also a piece of
> cake.
>
> This procedure should work as well, but please make sure you're backed up!
>
> I believe the drives will stay mapped to the IDE controller until Step 5,
> at
> which time the 82801ER will be installed and the drives will be picked up
> on
> that controller, freeing the IDE controllers for IDE drives.
>
> Please let us know if you run into any glitches.

July 2, 2005 3:19:41 PM

> Ok Bob, - all solved and done.
>
> For any others, here's a summary of what I did:
>
> Original situation:
>
> Drives:
>
> On on-board SATA (82801ER Controller)
> 1 x 80GB SATA (boot)
> 1 x 160Gb SATA
>
> 2 x Optical drives (on secondary IDE channel)
> 1 x PATA HDD (on primary IDE channel)
>
> Problem: SATA drives were being remapped to the primary IDE channel,
> locking out the use of the PATA drive.
>

> Solution:
>
> Ghost (well, True Image, actually) Boot drive to spare PATA disk
> Set SATA drives to SATA-0 and SATA-1 RAID enabled
> Change boot order to PATA cloned disk
> Boot system
> Install 82801 drivers for RAID controller when Windows asks
> Ghost PATA boot drive back to SATA-0 (original boot disk)
> Change boot order in BIOS to SATA-0
> Boot from SATA-0 disk
>
> All done!
>
> Speed on SATA drives is well up now, using the proper SATA drivers, and I
> have access to the extra PATA drive on the IDE channel.
>
> Thanks heaps Bob for your good advise...

Great! Sorry for being out of pocket when you needed help in the last day
or so. Yes, you apparently have a rev. 2 board, which I think has a label
or stencil on the corner of the board nearest PCI5. That won't matter for
all this HD rigmarole, though, since the only difference between the two
boards is the sound controller, and the bios, of course.

I've been running SATA RAID0 (36gb x 2 Raptors) on the ICH5R for almost 10
months now without a burp, and 25 months now on this rev. 1 board (knock on
wood) with very stable results. Can't brag on it enough, and hope it stays
this way.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2005 4:50:47 AM

That won't matter for
> all this HD rigmarole, though, since the only difference between the two
> boards is the sound controller, and the bios, of course.

Can you give details on this difference?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2005 4:50:48 AM

"Craig Sutton" <xcxcnxxnxxx@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
news:D a62jf$rve$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...

> "Bob Davis" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
> That won't matter for
>> all this HD rigmarole, though, since the only difference between the two
>> boards is the sound controller, and the bios, of course.
>>>
> Can you give details on this difference?

Had to Google for this one, as I was aware only of the sound change:

1. The Realtek audio codec in a rev. 2 board is an ALC658. Original board
used a ALC655 II.

2. The SYS_FAN header for revision 2 was moved from the bottom of the board
the front near SATA0_SB.

3. The board revision number location has moved from near the middle by the
GA-8KNXP logo to the bottom near the IR_CIR header.
April 6, 2006 6:42:57 PM

Actually I have a setup quite like this...plug both of your dirves in ...Set the SATA to Manual SATA0 SATA1, but DONOT enable the RAID. Then you'll see in the other menu, "Hard Disk Boot Order", move SATA0 up to the top. And when you install windows it will detect all 3 drives, just make sure you select the right one.
!