What does Dual Channel Mean ?

I have a A8V Deluexe with WinXP SP2
I added some more Ram, I had 512 and added 512.

It say's in the book where to put them (which slot), but it say's for DUAL
CHANNEL, put them here. Does that mean for the 32 plus 32 bit = 64 bit I
have, or does that mean for Dual Output Video cards ?

bar

It refers to RAM.

Dual Channel DDR structure uses Twin Bank mode, and requires two memory
modules plugged into the appointed DIMM slots in order to enable 2 Channel
DDR.

There is no such thing as Dual Channel DDR Memory Modules. Regular DDR is
installed two modules at a time, each module controlled by a separate channel
of the memory controller.

The following data refers to the various ways in which the dual channel
controllers are implemented on various motherboards.

To make it easier for users to identify systems with the 2 Channel feature,
MSI has considerately chosen to colour the DIMM slots differently to better
distinguish them from each other.

Take GNB Max for example, the green DIMM1 and DIMM3 are Channel A, while the
purple DIMM2 and DIMM4 are Channel B. In order for the user to enable the 2
Channel feature, two memory modules must be plugged in different
channels--one in Channel A and another one in Channel B.

"Joe H" wrote:

> I have a A8V Deluexe with WinXP SP2
> I added some more Ram, I had 512 and added 512.
>
> It say's in the book where to put them (which slot), but it say's for DUAL
> CHANNEL, put them here. Does that mean for the 32 plus 32 bit = 64 bit I
> have, or does that mean for Dual Output Video cards ?

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Joe H wrote:
> I have a A8V Deluexe with WinXP SP2
> I added some more Ram, I had 512 and added 512.
>
> It say's in the book where to put them (which slot), but it say's for DUAL
> CHANNEL, put them here. Does that mean for the 32 plus 32 bit = 64 bit I
> have, or does that mean for Dual Output Video cards ?

asked and answered

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

BAR wrote:
> It refers to RAM.
>
> Dual Channel DDR structure uses Twin Bank mode, and requires two memory
> modules plugged into the appointed DIMM slots in order to enable 2 Channel
> DDR.
>
> There is no such thing as Dual Channel DDR Memory Modules. Regular DDR is
> installed two modules at a time, each module controlled by a separate channel
> of the memory controller.
>
> The following data refers to the various ways in which the dual channel
> controllers are implemented on various motherboards.
>
> To make it easier for users to identify systems with the 2 Channel feature,
> MSI has considerately chosen to colour the DIMM slots differently to better
> distinguish them from each other.
>
> Take GNB Max for example, the green DIMM1 and DIMM3 are Channel A, while the
> purple DIMM2 and DIMM4 are Channel B. In order for the user to enable the 2
> Channel feature, two memory modules must be plugged in different
> channels--one in Channel A and another one in Channel B.
>

> "Joe H" wrote:
>

>> I have a A8V Deluexe with WinXP SP2
>>I added some more Ram, I had 512 and added 512.
>>
>>It say's in the book where to put them (which slot), but it say's for DUAL
>>CHANNEL, put them here. Does that mean for the 32 plus 32 bit = 64 bit I
>>have, or does that mean for Dual Output Video cards ?

Actually on a A8V the slots are blue

Sandman

the term "dual channel" refers to a DDR motherboards chipset that's designed
with two memory channels instead of one.

Nevertheless, that misnomer is the manner in which these pairs stix are
being marketed, and most people don't care or know what it really means and
neither does this guy I bet.
'Joe' check your motherboard manual before installing these as the Asus
boards usually tell you to 'skip' one slot between the 2 stix.

> It refers to RAM.
>
> Dual Channel DDR structure uses Twin Bank mode, and requires two memory
> modules plugged into the appointed DIMM slots in order to enable 2 Channel
> DDR.
>
> There is no such thing as Dual Channel DDR Memory Modules. Regular DDR is
> installed two modules at a time, each module controlled by a separate
channel
> of the memory controller.
>
> The following data refers to the various ways in which the dual channel
> controllers are implemented on various motherboards.
>
> To make it easier for users to identify systems with the 2 Channel
feature,
> MSI has considerately chosen to colour the DIMM slots differently to
better
> distinguish them from each other.
>
> Take GNB Max for example, the green DIMM1 and DIMM3 are Channel A, while
the
> purple DIMM2 and DIMM4 are Channel B. In order for the user to enable the
2
> Channel feature, two memory modules must be plugged in different
> channels--one in Channel A and another one in Channel B.
>

> "Joe H" wrote:
>
> > I have a A8V Deluexe with WinXP SP2
> > I added some more Ram, I had 512 and added 512.
> >
> > It say's in the book where to put them (which slot), but it say's for
DUAL
> > CHANNEL, put them here. Does that mean for the 32 plus 32 bit = 64 bit I
> > have, or does that mean for Dual Output Video cards ?

TRENDING THREADS