K7S5A m/bd built in sound

Hello,

I hope someone can help.

My 2 y.o generic computer has the above motherboard with on board AC97
chipset for sound. Worked OK (stuttering rather) under '98. When I
ran the compatability wizard before upgrading to XP, I got the warning
that I could expect several incompatabilities. Two were to do with
sound, the AC3 filter and the CMI Audio config. I was unable to
uninstall either of these as recommended (not in the Control panel
remove programs list, and neither with their own uninstall utility.

Before upgrading I downloaded a newer version of the drivers, as
recommended and also the latest codec.

On upgrading to XP, I wasn't astonished to find no sound. I then ran
both utilities and was disappointed to find that they made no
difference. In Control Panel, clicking on the Sounds & Audio Icon
shows no Audio device present.

Anyone know what to do now?

--
All the best
Ian Hoare

bar

If you downloaded newer drivers before XP upgrade: which Op Sys were they
for? XP or 98?

Go to http://www.ecs.com.tw/ and find out information for the Mobo and
Downloads.

Also check in Device Manager to see if there are any devices with a Yellow
Exclamation Mark. If so you can right click and update drivers [that is if
you are sure you know what it is. If the device type is unclear, then
'remove' the device and reboot. XP will identify the device and install its
drivers or else ask for you to provide them.

"Ian Hoare" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hope someone can help.
>
> My 2 y.o generic computer has the above motherboard with on board AC97
> chipset for sound. Worked OK (stuttering rather) under '98. When I
> ran the compatability wizard before upgrading to XP, I got the warning
> that I could expect several incompatabilities. Two were to do with
> sound, the AC3 filter and the CMI Audio config. I was unable to
> uninstall either of these as recommended (not in the Control panel
> remove programs list, and neither with their own uninstall utility.
>
> Before upgrading I downloaded a newer version of the drivers, as
> recommended and also the latest codec.
>
> On upgrading to XP, I wasn't astonished to find no sound. I then ran
> both utilities and was disappointed to find that they made no
> difference. In Control Panel, clicking on the Sounds & Audio Icon
> shows no Audio device present.
>
> Anyone know what to do now?
>
> --
> All the best
> Ian Hoare

I'd like to join in this, since I have similar prob. m/b is Asus A7V266-E
with BIOS reporting AC97 (but on-board chipset is actually CMI8738) - PC is
3 yrs old, came pre-loaded with XPHome, sound did work OK but had problems
with mic recording (inadequate because of no enhanced support in the mixer,
part of the driver)

Sound subsequently deteriorated as described by Ian, so, just 2 days ago
installed new SB Audigy Live! Sound card.

RTFM, instruction said, disable on-board sound chip. M/b manual gives little
help on this.

On advice from this NG I disabled both AC97 references in BIOS. According to
conventional wisdom, that should have removed the on-board chip from XP
device manager.
No, it didn't. So, in System/Device Manager, I've made the CMI8738 "disabled
in this configuration"

This inelegant solution seems to work. I'd spent many many hours over best
part of a year trying to get updated drivers for the CMI8738 chipset, also
the manual for the motherboard from Asus - seems the idea of providing
customer service for kit over a year old is anathema.

My advice to Ian is to get a new Sound Card. Read its manual before
installing, and hope your m/b manual is clearer than mine. Failing that, do
what I've done. But - Ian and I are both open to better, more knowledgable
advice!

Sincerely, Len.

"Ian Hoare" <ianhoare@angelfire.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I hope someone can help.
>
> My 2 y.o generic computer has the above motherboard with on board AC97
> chipset for sound. Worked OK (stuttering rather) under '98. When I
> ran the compatability wizard before upgrading to XP, I got the warning
> that I could expect several incompatabilities. Two were to do with
> sound, the AC3 filter and the CMI Audio config. I was unable to
> uninstall either of these as recommended (not in the Control panel
> remove programs list, and neither with their own uninstall utility.
>
> Before upgrading I downloaded a newer version of the drivers, as
> recommended and also the latest codec.
>
> On upgrading to XP, I wasn't astonished to find no sound. I then ran
> both utilities and was disappointed to find that they made no
> difference. In Control Panel, clicking on the Sounds & Audio Icon
> shows no Audio device present.
>
> Anyone know what to do now?
>
> --
> All the best
> Ian Hoare

A7V266-E manual

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7V266-E&langs=09

CMI8738 drivers

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/download/OS-e-cmi8738_WDM_OS.htm

http://members.driverguide.com/index.php?action=dosearch&qm0=cmi8738&qa6=223&dp=2&sm=b&jmd=and

--
Jonah
"yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to join in this, since I have similar prob. m/b is Asus A7V266-E
> with BIOS reporting AC97 (but on-board chipset is actually CMI8738) - PC
> is 3 yrs old, came pre-loaded with XPHome, sound did work OK but had
> problems with mic recording (inadequate because of no enhanced support in
> the mixer, part of the driver)
>
> Sound subsequently deteriorated as described by Ian, so, just 2 days ago
> installed new SB Audigy Live! Sound card.
>
> RTFM, instruction said, disable on-board sound chip. M/b manual gives
> little help on this.
>
> On advice from this NG I disabled both AC97 references in BIOS. According
> to conventional wisdom, that should have removed the on-board chip from XP
> device manager.
> No, it didn't. So, in System/Device Manager, I've made the CMI8738
> "disabled in this configuration"
>
> This inelegant solution seems to work. I'd spent many many hours over
> best part of a year trying to get updated drivers for the CMI8738 chipset,
> also the manual for the motherboard from Asus - seems the idea of
> providing customer service for kit over a year old is anathema.
>
> My advice to Ian is to get a new Sound Card. Read its manual before
> installing, and hope your m/b manual is clearer than mine. Failing that,
> do what I've done. But - Ian and I are both open to better, more
> knowledgable advice!
>
> Sincerely, Len.
>
> "Ian Hoare" <ianhoare@angelfire.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I hope someone can help.
>>
>> My 2 y.o generic computer has the above motherboard with on board AC97
>> chipset for sound. Worked OK (stuttering rather) under '98. When I
>> ran the compatability wizard before upgrading to XP, I got the warning
>> that I could expect several incompatabilities. Two were to do with
>> sound, the AC3 filter and the CMI Audio config. I was unable to
>> uninstall either of these as recommended (not in the Control panel
>> remove programs list, and neither with their own uninstall utility.
>>
>> Before upgrading I downloaded a newer version of the drivers, as
>> recommended and also the latest codec.
>>
>> On upgrading to XP, I wasn't astonished to find no sound. I then ran
>> both utilities and was disappointed to find that they made no
>> difference. In Control Panel, clicking on the Sounds & Audio Icon
>> shows no Audio device present.
>>
>> Anyone know what to do now?
>>
>> --
>> All the best
>> Ian Hoare

Thanks - I did actually get it (eventually) Len