This may be silly - but... how do I get 3 CD-Roms on a 7N4..

This may be silly - but... how do I get 3 CD-Roms on a 7N400Pro 2

I'm running a SATA HDD and 2 CD-Roms off the mobo.

I can't seem to work out a setting to allow another cable to get a 3rd
CD-Rom to go.

Am I have a huge blonde moment ?

Rob

Jambo

Distinguished
May 17, 2003

"Rob Cullen" <Robert.Cullen@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> This may be silly - but... how do I get 3 CD-Roms on a 7N400Pro 2
>
> I'm running a SATA HDD and 2 CD-Roms off the mobo.
>
> I can't seem to work out a setting to allow another cable to get a 3rd
> CD-Rom to go.
>
> Am I have a huge blonde moment ?
>

> Rob

You could either set up one IDE channel with two devices setting (one CD
jumper to Master and the other to Slave. This will work but you will stuggle
trying to write to 2 CD-RWs on one channel - it will actually take over
twice as long as it would to burn 2 discs on one drive - if that makes
sense) or you could buy a PCI ATA controller to give you two extra IDE
channels. Be warned though that you must make sure the ATA controller
supports optical drivers - promise cards as far as I know don't get on well
with optical drives, they were really meant to run HDs. Siig on the other
hand make cards that are specified for optical drives, so they might be
worth a look.