intellimouse responds slowly to left-click

I have an Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 with Intellipoint
software downloaded from the Microsoft website and am
running Windows XP SP2, with the mouse connected through
the PS/2 socket.

When I first had this mouse, it used to work well, but
from some reason, it now won't respond to quick clicks
when I am working in applications, using Windows explorer
etc. The click has to be slow and very deliberate before
the computer sees it, and double-clicking is a pain in
the neck.

I've tried running the mouse set-up in Control Panel
where you can set the click speed etc. and have no
problems at all in there - it behaves as you would expect
and is very responsive - but as soon as I go back to XP,
wordprocessors, DTP etc. many of the clicks are missed.

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Thanks.

Rob
2 answers Last reply
More about intellimouse responds slowly left click

    What version of the Intellipoint drviers? Version 5.2 have custom controls
    per applications.

    "Rob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 with Intellipoint
    > software downloaded from the Microsoft website and am
    > running Windows XP SP2, with the mouse connected through
    > the PS/2 socket.
    >
    > When I first had this mouse, it used to work well, but
    > from some reason, it now won't respond to quick clicks
    > when I am working in applications, using Windows explorer
    > etc. The click has to be slow and very deliberate before
    > the computer sees it, and double-clicking is a pain in
    > the neck.
    >
    > I've tried running the mouse set-up in Control Panel
    > where you can set the click speed etc. and have no
    > problems at all in there - it behaves as you would expect
    > and is very responsive - but as soon as I go back to XP,
    > wordprocessors, DTP etc. many of the clicks are missed.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas, please?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Rob

    I have had the exact same problem with my intellimouse explorer 4.0. it
    has worked flawlessly for almost a year but as i reinstalled winxpsp2
    corp the other day it started bevahing like this. according to
    microsoft this is due to new drivers being installed over old drivers
    where the old drivers remain on the computer still active in some way.
    i tried completely removing all drivers/regkeys/file related to the
    mouse and reinstall it, including USB controllers etc. this worked for
    about 4 hours before it started to slow down again. it seems whenever i
    try to select an inactive process - a window, application blabla it
    takes alot more time for windows to switch to that process. is that
    just me or have other people had the same problem? whenever i work
    inside an active area it works fine but being a multitaskin operating
    system that's not quite enough..

    here's the suggested solution provided by microsoft:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;321122

    other intellimouse related problems:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=intellimouse

    --