Replacing CPU cooler - GA-K8NXP-SLI

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

Hi,

Thinking of replacing the stock cooler that came with my A64 3200+ and was
wondering if there were any particular issues with the above board. For
example would one of the big Zalman coolers fit with the DPS module
installed and would I need to un-install the motherboard?

TIA

BillL

TheDude

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

"" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thinking of replacing the stock cooler that came with my A64
> 3200+ and was
> wondering if there were any particular issues with the above
> board. For
> example would one of the big Zalman coolers fit with the DPS
> module
> installed and would I need to un-install the motherboard?
>
> TIA
>
> BillL

HI Bill,

I currently run:

GA-K8NXP-SLI
AMD 64 3500+
2 * 1gb Corsair PRO DDR
Gigabyte PCIe 6600GT
Zalman Flower AlCu 8800 (well the big one anyway!)

It works a treat. Only issues:

- can’t install the Dual Power daughterboard
- not a lot of room between RAM and cooler, but not a problem for
cooling the RAM (in fact it helps).

The mounting will probably mean you need to remove the mobo from the
case, as you need access to the back of it (from memory)

CHeers,
theDude

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-Replacing-CPU-cooler-GA-K8NXP-SLI-ftopict58772.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=300131

On 22 Jul 2005 00:36:04 -0400, theDude
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

>"" wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thinking of replacing the stock cooler that came with my A64
> > 3200+ and was
> > wondering if there were any particular issues with the above
> > board. For
> > example would one of the big Zalman coolers fit with the DPS
> > module
> > installed and would I need to un-install the motherboard?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > BillL
>
>HI Bill,
>
>I currently run:
>
>GA-K8NXP-SLI
>AMD 64 3500+
>2 * 1gb Corsair PRO DDR
>Gigabyte PCIe 6600GT
>Zalman Flower AlCu 8800 (well the big one anyway!)
>
>It works a treat. Only issues:
>
>- can’t install the Dual Power daughterboard
>- not a lot of room between RAM and cooler, but not a problem for
>cooling the RAM (in fact it helps).
>
>The mounting will probably mean you need to remove the mobo from the
>case, as you need access to the back of it (from memory)
>
>CHeers,
>theDude

The smaller Zalman will fit (7700cu)?with the DPS fitted but only just
about 5mm tween them. You will need to remove the MB from the case. If
the main reason is noise try un plugging the fan on the DPS H/S it's a
real noisy ah heck. I also replaced the HSF on my Gainward GT6600 GLH
with an Artic Cooling solution which helped a lot.

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

"Andy Lee" <andy.lee@siemens.com> wrote in message
> On 22 Jul 2005 00:36:04 -0400, theDude
> <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:
>
>>"" wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Thinking of replacing the stock cooler that came with my A64
>> > 3200+ and was
>> > wondering if there were any particular issues with the above
>> > board. For
>> > example would one of the big Zalman coolers fit with the DPS
>> > module
>> > installed and would I need to un-install the motherboard?
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >
>> > BillL
>>
>>HI Bill,
>>
>>I currently run:
>>
>>GA-K8NXP-SLI
>>AMD 64 3500+
>>2 * 1gb Corsair PRO DDR
>>Gigabyte PCIe 6600GT
>>Zalman Flower AlCu 8800 (well the big one anyway!)
>>
>>It works a treat. Only issues:
>>
>>- can't install the Dual Power daughterboard
>>- not a lot of room between RAM and cooler, but not a problem for
>>cooling the RAM (in fact it helps).
>>
>>The mounting will probably mean you need to remove the mobo from the
>>case, as you need access to the back of it (from memory)
>>
>>CHeers,
>>theDude
>

> The smaller Zalman will fit (7700cu)?with the DPS fitted but only just
> about 5mm tween them. You will need to remove the MB from the case. If
> the main reason is noise try un plugging the fan on the DPS H/S it's a
> real noisy ah heck. I also replaced the HSF on my Gainward GT6600 GLH
> with an Artic Cooling solution which helped a lot.

Thanks for the replies (I thought no one had seen my postion!). I'll have to
put any buying on hold at the moment - got a finacial star well on its way
to becoming a black hole! ;o)

BillL