Computer won't recognize disk Drive.

When I start it up, try to go to the 'welcome' screen... then, to go to the
account screen... I always have to open my cd-rom drive. Otherwise the
computer just freezes. How can I reformat the drive so that this problem
isn't occuring? I can't load anything in that drive because XP doesn't
recognize it.
2 answers Last reply
More about computer recognize disk drive

    First of all, disconnect the power cable from your CD and try booting up the
    computer.

    If all goes correctly, then open up device manager and remove the CD from
    the hardware listing.

    Now turn off the PC and reboot.

    Make sure the CD is not shown in device manager.

    Plug the CD back in: make sure that the jumper settings are such that it
    doesn't conflict with another device on the same cable [no 2 devices can be
    set as Master or SALVE].

    Ideentify that BIOS has properly located the CD ROM.

    Boot up to Windows and it should reinstall drivers etc for the CD.

    Reboot Windows and csee if all runs properly.

    It this doesn't work, then consider replacing the CD ROM.

    BAR <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> typed out:

    > First of all, disconnect the power cable from your CD and try booting up
    > the computer.
    >
    > If all goes correctly, then open up device manager and remove the CD from
    > the hardware listing.
    >
    > Now turn off the PC and reboot.
    >
    > Make sure the CD is not shown in device manager.
    >
    > Plug the CD back in: make sure that the jumper settings are such that it
    > doesn't conflict with another device on the same cable [no 2 devices can
    > be set as Master or SALVE].
    >
    > Ideentify that BIOS has properly located the CD ROM.
    >
    > Boot up to Windows and it should reinstall drivers etc for the CD.
    >
    > Reboot Windows and csee if all runs properly.
    >
    > It this doesn't work, then consider replacing the CD ROM.
    >
    > "magicdoll" wrote:
    >
    >> When I start it up, try to go to the 'welcome' screen... then, to go to
    >> the
    >> account screen... I always have to open my cd-rom drive. Otherwise the
    >> computer just freezes. How can I reformat the drive so that this
    >> problem
    >> isn't occuring? I can't load anything in that drive because XP doesn't
    >> recognize it.

    Test

    --
    William