Computer won't recognize disk Drive.

January 13, 2005 9:47:02 PM

When I start it up, try to go to the 'welcome' screen... then, to go to the
account screen... I always have to open my cd-rom drive. Otherwise the
computer just freezes. How can I reformat the drive so that this problem
isn't occuring? I can't load anything in that drive because XP doesn't
recognize it.
January 13, 2005 10:45:03 PM

First of all, disconnect the power cable from your CD and try booting up the
computer.

If all goes correctly, then open up device manager and remove the CD from
the hardware listing.

Now turn off the PC and reboot.

Make sure the CD is not shown in device manager.

Plug the CD back in: make sure that the jumper settings are such that it
doesn't conflict with another device on the same cable [no 2 devices can be
set as Master or SALVE].

Ideentify that BIOS has properly located the CD ROM.

Boot up to Windows and it should reinstall drivers etc for the CD.

Reboot Windows and csee if all runs properly.

It this doesn't work, then consider replacing the CD ROM.

"magicdoll" wrote:

> When I start it up, try to go to the 'welcome' screen... then, to go to the
> account screen... I always have to open my cd-rom drive. Otherwise the
> computer just freezes. How can I reformat the drive so that this problem
> isn't occuring? I can't load anything in that drive because XP doesn't
> recognize it.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 9:08:14 AM

BAR <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> typed out:

> First of all, disconnect the power cable from your CD and try booting up
> the computer.
>
> If all goes correctly, then open up device manager and remove the CD from
> the hardware listing.
>
> Now turn off the PC and reboot.
>
> Make sure the CD is not shown in device manager.
>
> Plug the CD back in: make sure that the jumper settings are such that it
> doesn't conflict with another device on the same cable [no 2 devices can
> be set as Master or SALVE].
>
> Ideentify that BIOS has properly located the CD ROM.
>
> Boot up to Windows and it should reinstall drivers etc for the CD.
>
> Reboot Windows and csee if all runs properly.
>
> It this doesn't work, then consider replacing the CD ROM.
>
> "magicdoll" wrote:
>
>> When I start it up, try to go to the 'welcome' screen... then, to go to
>> the
>> account screen... I always have to open my cd-rom drive. Otherwise the
>> computer just freezes. How can I reformat the drive so that this
>> problem
>> isn't occuring? I can't load anything in that drive because XP doesn't
>> recognize it.

Test

--
William