GA-8KNXP Ultra replacement chipset fan

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could order a factory
replacement northbridge chipset fan for the GA-8KNXP Ultra
motherboard. I had to replace it when it failed with the large Zalman
heat sink but it still gets too hot during extended usage. I would
like to order a factory replacement with the two mounting pins (they
broke when I removed the old one).

Does anyone have a contact method for Giga-Byte parts?

Many thanks,

Bryan
4 answers Last reply
More about 8knxp ultra replacement chipset

    Bryan Williams wrote:
    > I was wondering if anyone knew where I could order a factory
    > replacement northbridge chipset fan for the GA-8KNXP Ultra
    > motherboard. I had to replace it when it failed with the large Zalman
    > heat sink but it still gets too hot during extended usage. I would
    > like to order a factory replacement with the two mounting pins (they
    > broke when I removed the old one).

    Gigabyte NB fans are notoriously prone to failure. I wouldn't replace
    it with an OEM version.

    How hot is "too hot"? The silicon die in the NB chip can be up to 99
    degrees C - depending on the efficiency of the heat sink solution this
    means the heat sink temperature could easily reach 60-70 degrees C
    without compromising the chip's thermal specs. Not a problem as long as
    you have good case ventilation. Note also that the reference design for
    the 875P MCH used in the 8KNXP calls for a passive sink.

    http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/designex/25252803.pdf

    "Bryan Williams" <bryandmc at gamew00d dot net> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone knew where I could order a factory
    > replacement northbridge chipset fan for the GA-8KNXP Ultra
    > motherboard. I had to replace it when it failed with the large Zalman
    > heat sink but it still gets too hot during extended usage. I would
    > like to order a factory replacement with the two mounting pins (they
    > broke when I removed the old one).
    >
    > Does anyone have a contact method for Giga-Byte parts?

    I agree with Travis. The stock fan is a sleeve-bearing design that is more
    inclined to fail over time than a ball-bearing type. My stock fan is still
    working, but I bought a BB fan on Ebay for about $5 each, if I recall. The
    Specs are 40mm across, 10mm deep. Look for one with the right connector,
    but this is not very important since you can splice the old one onto the new
    fan. The thinner 10mm-deep fans are a bit hard to find compared to the more
    common 20mm design, but they're out there.

    Thanks for the specifications on the fan folks. The problem I was
    having was that after replacing the fan with the heatsink, I would get
    lockups during heavy gaming. I added another case fan (had an extra
    space for it) and this stopped the lockups but it is loud as hell.

    I also am going to need those two little nylon push pin mounts that
    hold the thing on. Any ideas as to how to find them?

    Thanks again for the info.

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:30:42 -0500, "Bob Davis" <nospam@nospam.net>
    wrote:

    >"Bryan Williams" <bryandmc at gamew00d dot net> wrote in message
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> I was wondering if anyone knew where I could order a factory
    >> replacement northbridge chipset fan for the GA-8KNXP Ultra
    >> motherboard. I had to replace it when it failed with the large Zalman
    >> heat sink but it still gets too hot during extended usage. I would
    >> like to order a factory replacement with the two mounting pins (they
    >> broke when I removed the old one).
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a contact method for Giga-Byte parts?
    >
    >I agree with Travis. The stock fan is a sleeve-bearing design that is more
    >inclined to fail over time than a ball-bearing type. My stock fan is still
    >working, but I bought a BB fan on Ebay for about $5 each, if I recall. The
    >Specs are 40mm across, 10mm deep. Look for one with the right connector,
    >but this is not very important since you can splice the old one onto the new
    >fan. The thinner 10mm-deep fans are a bit hard to find compared to the more
    >common 20mm design, but they're out there.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Just a follow up:

    I got a ball bearing fan off of Ebay for .99 with a few bucks
    shipping. I did just like I sometimes do with power supplies with bad
    fans. I just unsoldered the wires that came on the new fan from under
    the label and soldered in the wires from the original fan that went
    bad. Once it was all put back together it looked completely original.

    It was strange to look at the old Zalman heat sink and the original
    Giga-Byte one. The Zalman did not have much more heat sink area than
    the Giga-Byte and it was the taller of the two that Zalman offered.
    Removing the active cooling from the equation may have been enough to
    cause the problem.

    Thanks again for the info.

    Bryan

Gigabyte Chipsets Fan Motherboards