Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.

I'm running XP Home, NTSF, SP2 on a machine with an AMD 2500+ processor,
Gigabyte of RAM and a Maxtor 40 gig hd. Recently I've had occasion to find
the machine had crashed, attempted to reboot and hung unable to detect the C:
drive.

A cold boot got it up and chkdsk kicked in correcting file errors. ( on a
possibly related note, I also noticed in the last 3 months that I cannot get
System Restore to perform a restore, no matter which restore point I select.)
Suspecting a failing hard drive, I ordered another one and am about to put
it in this weekend.

But I'm wondering if it really isn't the hard drive but other file errors
that chkdsk can't seem to fix. I'll run chkdsk in read only and it says:

"Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system."

When I set it to reboot and run chkdsk /f, it goes through the process and
doesn't fix the errors. I'm running chkdsk about twice a day now.

I was planning on Ghosting the current drive and cloning it to the new
drive. But if the errors are OS related, won't I just be here with a new but
still unstable drive? Is there some way to fix these errors? Or, could it
just be that the drive is failing and that's the real cause?

thx.
8 answers Last reply
More about correcting errors volume bitmap

    Hi,

    Your restore files are corrupted. Right click My Computer/Properties, click
    the System Restore tab and check the box "Turn off system Restore on all
    drives" and then reboot. This will clear all old corrupted restore files.
    After reboot, uncheck the box to restart system restore and then reboot.
    Try to create a new restore point. If it works, the system restore is now
    working normally.

    To run chkdsk and repair, Start/Run/chkdsk /f/r, reboot to let chkdsk run,
    do not disturb until it finish the process.

    Hope it helps.

    Peter

    "frankswildnight" wrote:

    > I'm running XP Home, NTSF, SP2 on a machine with an AMD 2500+ processor,
    > Gigabyte of RAM and a Maxtor 40 gig hd. Recently I've had occasion to find
    > the machine had crashed, attempted to reboot and hung unable to detect the C:
    > drive.
    >
    > A cold boot got it up and chkdsk kicked in correcting file errors. ( on a
    > possibly related note, I also noticed in the last 3 months that I cannot get
    > System Restore to perform a restore, no matter which restore point I select.)
    > Suspecting a failing hard drive, I ordered another one and am about to put
    > it in this weekend.
    >
    > But I'm wondering if it really isn't the hard drive but other file errors
    > that chkdsk can't seem to fix. I'll run chkdsk in read only and it says:
    >
    > "Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    > Windows found problems with the file system."
    >
    > When I set it to reboot and run chkdsk /f, it goes through the process and
    > doesn't fix the errors. I'm running chkdsk about twice a day now.
    >
    > I was planning on Ghosting the current drive and cloning it to the new
    > drive. But if the errors are OS related, won't I just be here with a new but
    > still unstable drive? Is there some way to fix these errors? Or, could it
    > just be that the drive is failing and that's the real cause?
    >
    > thx.

    Peter,

    thanks for the input. I turned off System Restore and I'll check that out
    in a bit. I was more concerned with the disk errors, so I ran chkdsk /f/r at
    startup as you suggested. It ran through everything, although it started
    rebooting before I could read the results.

    However, once I was back in Windows, I ran the readonly chkdsk and got a
    similar error message as before, telling me to run chkdsk /f again at
    startup.

    "CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
    master file table (MFT) bitmap.
    Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    Windows found problems with the file system.
    Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these."

    Wondering if this is a false reading and all errors were actually corrected,
    I ran chkdsk readonly from an admin login on another computer running XP Pro
    and got the exact same errors. That computer has never shown any evidence of
    disk problems. One possible explanation (?) I have Executive Software
    Diskeeper running for a couple of years on both computers. Maybe it is
    causing chkdsk to report errors that really don't threaten the file system.
    Any ideas? thanks.

    richard

    "Peter" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Your restore files are corrupted. Right click My Computer/Properties, click
    > the System Restore tab and check the box "Turn off system Restore on all
    > drives" and then reboot. This will clear all old corrupted restore files.
    > After reboot, uncheck the box to restart system restore and then reboot.
    > Try to create a new restore point. If it works, the system restore is now
    > working normally.
    >
    > To run chkdsk and repair, Start/Run/chkdsk /f/r, reboot to let chkdsk run,
    > do not disturb until it finish the process.
    >
    > Hope it helps.
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > "frankswildnight" wrote:
    >
    > > I'm running XP Home, NTSF, SP2 on a machine with an AMD 2500+ processor,
    > > Gigabyte of RAM and a Maxtor 40 gig hd. Recently I've had occasion to find
    > > the machine had crashed, attempted to reboot and hung unable to detect the C:
    > > drive.
    > >
    > > A cold boot got it up and chkdsk kicked in correcting file errors. ( on a
    > > possibly related note, I also noticed in the last 3 months that I cannot get
    > > System Restore to perform a restore, no matter which restore point I select.)
    > > Suspecting a failing hard drive, I ordered another one and am about to put
    > > it in this weekend.
    > >
    > > But I'm wondering if it really isn't the hard drive but other file errors
    > > that chkdsk can't seem to fix. I'll run chkdsk in read only and it says:
    > >
    > > "Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    > > Windows found problems with the file system."
    > >
    > > When I set it to reboot and run chkdsk /f, it goes through the process and
    > > doesn't fix the errors. I'm running chkdsk about twice a day now.
    > >
    > > I was planning on Ghosting the current drive and cloning it to the new
    > > drive. But if the errors are OS related, won't I just be here with a new but
    > > still unstable drive? Is there some way to fix these errors? Or, could it
    > > just be that the drive is failing and that's the real cause?
    > >
    > > thx.

    Hi,

    I also use diskkeeper and have not seen the problems like you have.
    May be there are physical bad sectors on the Hdd.
    You can go to maxtor website to download the disk utility tools to find and
    fix the disk problems.

    By the way, I would suggest you to clean install XP instead of cloning the
    OS unless you are 100% sure the existing OS is absolutely stable and free
    from any registries errors.
    Also, clean installation would make you to clear out any unwanted/obsolete
    applications and dummy registries.

    Peter

    "frankswildnight" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > System Restore to perform a restore, no matter which restore point I select.)
    > > > Suspecting a failing hard drive, I ordered another one and am about to put
    > > > it in this weekend.
    > > >
    > > > But I'm wondering if it really isn't the hard drive but other file errors
    > > > that chkdsk can't seem to fix. I'll run chkdsk in read only and it says:
    > > >
    > > > "Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    > > > Windows found problems with the file system."
    > > >
    > > > When I set it to reboot and run chkdsk /f, it goes through the process and
    > > > doesn't fix the errors. I'm running chkdsk about twice a day now.
    > > >
    > > > I was planning on Ghosting the current drive and cloning it to the new
    > > > drive. But if the errors are OS related, won't I just be here with a new but
    > > > still unstable drive? Is there some way to fix these errors? Or, could it
    > > > just be that the drive is failing and that's the real cause?

    Running the chkdsk /f /r was the right thing to try. Unfortunately on rare
    occasions there are logical disk errors (where there is no related hardware
    problem) that chkdsk simply can't repair. 3rd party tools might or might
    not help. I've run into a few cases with precisely the situation you
    describe and had to backup the client's system, reformat the hard drive, and
    restore to finally resolve it.
    --

    "frankswildnight" <frankswildnight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:1D2930A7-0168-4151-B7DD-97BE121D8DCC@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    >> > it in this weekend.
    >> >
    >> > But I'm wondering if it really isn't the hard drive but other file
    >> > errors
    >> > that chkdsk can't seem to fix. I'll run chkdsk in read only and it
    >> > says:
    >> >
    >> > "Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    >> > Windows found problems with the file system."
    >> >
    >> > When I set it to reboot and run chkdsk /f, it goes through the process
    >> > and
    >> > doesn't fix the errors. I'm running chkdsk about twice a day now.
    >> >
    >> > I was planning on Ghosting the current drive and cloning it to the new
    >> > drive. But if the errors are OS related, won't I just be here with a
    >> > new but
    >> > still unstable drive? Is there some way to fix these errors? Or,
    >> > could it
    >> > just be that the drive is failing and that's the real cause?

    Hi Peter,

    "Peter" wrote:
    > I also use diskkeeper and have not seen the problems like you have.
    > May be there are physical bad sectors on the Hdd.
    > You can go to maxtor website to download the disk utility tools to find and
    > fix the disk problems.

    Glad to hear that (diskeeper). Good idea on the Maxtor disk utility tool.
    I'll also try that from the WD site on the other computer that's showing the
    same error running chkdsk from within Windows.

    > By the way, I would suggest you to clean install XP instead of cloning the
    > OS unless you are 100% sure the existing OS is absolutely stable and free
    > from any registries errors.
    > Also, clean installation would make you to clear out any unwanted/obsolete
    > applications and dummy registries.
    >
    > Peter

    Yes, a clean install would be best, especially if I can't fix the errors.
    Before that I'll make sure I have all the emails from MS Support on getting
    Access 97 to run under SP1 without having out of memory errors (long story
    but excellent help from MS Support on an old application). Maybe SP2 would
    correct it anyway. Thanks for your help, Peter.

    richard-
    > <snips>

    Yes, I'm starting to think I'll need a clean install. Strange that I'm
    running into the same error on another machine that has seemed perfectly
    stable. I'd like to find out what application might have caused it all.
    Thanks for your reply.

    richard

    "GTS" wrote:

    > Running the chkdsk /f /r was the right thing to try. Unfortunately on rare
    > occasions there are logical disk errors (where there is no related hardware
    > problem) that chkdsk simply can't repair. 3rd party tools might or might
    > not help. I've run into a few cases with precisely the situation you
    > describe and had to backup the client's system, reformat the hard drive, and
    > restore to finally resolve it.

    Update: Figuring I was going to install Windows again and format the new HD,
    I went agains MS Support's advice to not install Diskeeper Pro 8.0. After
    installing, I defragged and then set a boot defrag, including the MFT.

    Long story short, after it reported an MFT with 0 fragments, I ran chkdsk
    again from the command line within Windows and got no errors for the first
    time. Running Diskeeper MFT defrag had never worked on the old drive. All I
    can think is that installing it *after* SP2 had installed was the answer.
    Hope this is helpful. I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling Diskeeper on the
    other computers and see if that helps.

    The messages
    "CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap
    Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap"
    may be only informational and not be real errors. You need to get to MS
    -- this is a problem that has come up with SP2 but you need to be
    careful because it could hide a real problem (how about that for
    rolling the dice).
    Secondly --- DO NOT RUN DISKEEPER AND Norton GoBack. In fact, I
    wouldn't run any defrag with Norton GoBack -- it's prone to disassemble
    your file system. File corruption and all heck breaks loose!!! JUST
    DON'T DO IT!!!

    --
    Gnugs
    Gnugs's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=889