K8NS-939 F4 BIOS Warning

Just tried the F4 BIOS in my K8NS-939.

I have 4 sticks of Kingmax Super Ram 512 pc3200 (2 dual channel kits) in
there and with F3 it will run at pc3200 if you set it manually*. But with F4
if I try that it gets a checksum error and resets everything. So I went back
to F3.

Could be it wouldn't do this with 2 sticks. I don't know.

* On auto at 166 it chooses tighter timings from spd; I'm actually running
with a 240 clock and the memory set to 166 -- memory then runs at 200. So,
to run the pc3200 spd timings, before upping the clock to 240 I set it the
memory to 200, reboot, then check that the timings loosened up, and set them
to manual, then set the memory to 166, then set the clock to 240

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.
5 answers Last reply
More about k8ns bios warning

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:40:06 -0700, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there>
    wrote:

    >Just tried the F4 BIOS in my K8NS-939.
    >
    >I have 4 sticks of Kingmax Super Ram 512 pc3200 (2 dual channel kits) in
    >there and with F3 it will run at pc3200 if you set it manually*. But with F4
    >if I try that it gets a checksum error and resets everything. So I went back
    >to F3.
    >
    >Could be it wouldn't do this with 2 sticks. I don't know.
    >
    >* On auto at 166 it chooses tighter timings from spd; I'm actually running
    >with a 240 clock and the memory set to 166 -- memory then runs at 200. So,
    >to run the pc3200 spd timings, before upping the clock to 240 I set it the
    >memory to 200, reboot, then check that the timings loosened up, and set them
    >to manual, then set the memory to 166, then set the clock to 240

    It is said to be due to the cpu's memory controller. Winchester
    defaults memory speed with 4 sticks to 166. With Venice one can run 4
    sticks at 200.

    Your trick with 240 (and memory at 166 x (240/200)=200 ) is a
    classical way to cheat bios defaulting with.

    best regards

    John

    "John" <johnknuhtsenSP@Mail.dk> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:40:06 -0700, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Just tried the F4 BIOS in my K8NS-939.
    >>
    >>I have 4 sticks of Kingmax Super Ram 512 pc3200 (2 dual channel kits) in
    >>there and with F3 it will run at pc3200 if you set it manually*. But with
    >>F4
    >>if I try that it gets a checksum error and resets everything. So I went
    >>back
    >>to F3.
    >>
    >>Could be it wouldn't do this with 2 sticks. I don't know.
    >>
    >>* On auto at 166 it chooses tighter timings from spd; I'm actually running
    >>with a 240 clock and the memory set to 166 -- memory then runs at 200. So,
    >>to run the pc3200 spd timings, before upping the clock to 240 I set it the
    >>memory to 200, reboot, then check that the timings loosened up, and set
    >>them
    >>to manual, then set the memory to 166, then set the clock to 240
    >
    > It is said to be due to the cpu's memory controller. Winchester
    > defaults memory speed with 4 sticks to 166. With Venice one can run 4
    > sticks at 200.
    >
    > Your trick with 240 (and memory at 166 x (240/200)=200 ) is a
    > classical way to cheat bios defaulting with.
    >
    > best regards
    >
    > John

    Thanks, John.

    If you read my post again, you'll see that before overclocking it I set the
    memory to 200 and rebooted, and all was well; in memtest 86 is was pc3200.
    That's how I got it to reveal the spd timings for pc3200, then I locked them
    down and set the memory to 166 and overclocked the pc.

    So, with the F3 BIOS, the Winchester can indeed run 4 sticks of pc3200, or
    at least that Kingmax.

    That's why I'm not too glad the F4 BIOS pulled a checksum error instead, and
    reset all the settings. I didn't go further to see if it ran ok at 166
    overclocked. The memory timing selections were rather meager compared to F3.
    Since I'm not getting an x2 soon, I went back to the F3.
    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:42:51 -0700, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there>
    wrote:

    >If you read my post again, you'll see that before overclocking it I set the
    >memory to 200 and rebooted, and all was well; in memtest 86 is was pc3200.
    >That's how I got it to reveal the spd timings for pc3200, then I locked them
    >down and set the memory to 166 and overclocked the pc.
    >
    >So, with the F3 BIOS, the Winchester can indeed run 4 sticks of pc3200, or
    >at least that Kingmax.
    >
    >That's why I'm not too glad the F4 BIOS pulled a checksum error instead, and
    >reset all the settings. I didn't go further to see if it ran ok at 166
    >overclocked. The memory timing selections were rather meager compared to F3.
    >Since I'm not getting an x2 soon, I went back to the F3.

    Well, I will follow your advice and try the F3 again.

    Thanks !

    best regards

    John
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    No, sorry

    I have the ultra version. We have F6 and F5.

    http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-K8NS%20Ultra-939.htm

    and I actually have also heard of a F7beta with X2 support. But it
    should be bad.

    Maybe I should go back to F5. I saw some strange issues when I changed
    from F5 to F6. Dual band was obtained with different slots !

    best regards

    John
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    "John" <johnknuhtsenSP@Mail.dk> wrote

    > Maybe I should go back to F5. I saw some strange issues when I changed
    > from F5 to F6. Dual band was obtained with different slots !

    I guess it's all in whether the current one is doing everything you want.

    Gigabyte, for some reason, no longer offers F3 for the K8NS-939 on their
    site. They offer F1, F2, and F4! Really strange.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\