Installing New Motherboard and CPU..how to avoid reformat

RickyD

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2005

I am installing a new motherboard and CPU and I do not want to do a "clean
install".
Can someone give me the steps I need to follow?

I have Windows XP Pro

Thanks
RickyD

Ricky;
Normally a Repair Installation is required to properly detect the new
hardware:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

RickyD wrote:
> I am installing a new motherboard and CPU and I do not want to do a "clean
> install".
> Can someone give me the steps I need to follow?
>
> I have Windows XP Pro
>
> Thanks
> RickyD

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations and
licenses, especially those of the branded, BIOS-locked variety, are not
transferable to a new motherboard - check yours *before* starting),
unless the new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same
IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
(a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least.

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
"tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:22:12 -0700, Bruce Chambers wrote:

> RickyD wrote:
>> I am installing a new motherboard and CPU and I do not want to do a "clean
>> install".
>> Can someone give me the steps I need to follow?
>>
>> I have Windows XP Pro
>>
>> Thanks
>> RickyD
>>

> Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations and
> licenses, especially those of the branded, BIOS-locked variety, are not
> transferable to a new motherboard - check yours *before* starting),
> unless the new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same
> IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
> installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
> (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least.
>
> How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341
>
> The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
> licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
> You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
> you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
> Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
> foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
> is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
> old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
> "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
> reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
> than the Win9x group.
>
> As always when undertaking such a significant change, back up any
> important data before starting.
>
> This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
> Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
> 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
> likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
> been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here but I'm having a similar problem.

I have installed a new MB and CPU and I fully expected to have to do a
'repair' install. My problem is that I can't get to a position where I can
do a repair!

I've set the PC to boot from CD which it does but then I just get a blank
screen a few beeps and the PC reboots so I just get in an endless loop.

I've tried booting in safe mode as well but when I do that I get a screen
full of drivers loading then, again, the PC reboots.

I'm a little confused, I've fitted a Gigabyte 7VM400AMF MB with 512Mb
333MHz RAM and an AMD Sempron 2800 cpu. The strange thing is that when I
switch on the POST screen reports the CPU as being an Athlon XP 1200. I've
checked on the Gigabyte web site and the BIOS I've got is the latest
version which includes Sempron support. This particular BIOS has no jumpers
to speak of other than a 100Mhz/Auto switch for the FSB. I've got that set
at 100 at the moment 'cos it won't boot at all with it set to Auto.

All suggestions VERY gratefully received.

--
Best regards
Barry