This is also posted in "basics" - apols for dual-posting, mea culpa.

I hate laptops!!
Daughter's Samsung V20 (XPHE, SP2 ) screen has started going red all over.

On initial power-up (battery or mains) the blank screen is totally red.
When the XP "welcome" screen appears, display may or may not be almost
normal
When the system is fully loaded, the "Office" toolbar background is red.

Laptop is just over a year old, no mods other than software - AV is totally
up to date.

Other than this "red" phenomenon, pc seems normal (though we've had one
instance of Word crashing (encountered an error/illegal operation and must
close down) for no apparent reason, in midddle of creating a text doc.

Any suggestions as to cause would be welcome.

Have you tried to connect a regular monitor to the external monitor
connector? If the "red" still occurs, then the video card on the laptop may
be failing. If not, then it may be the LCD screen that is failing.

Yves Leclerc wrote:
> Have you tried to connect a regular monitor to the external monitor
> connector? If the "red" still occurs, then the video card on the
> laptop may be failing. If not, then it may be the LCD screen that is
> failing.
>
> "yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
>> This is also posted in "basics" - apols for dual-posting, mea culpa.
>>
>> I hate laptops!!
>> Daughter's Samsung V20 (XPHE, SP2 ) screen has started going red all
>> over. On initial power-up (battery or mains) the blank screen is
>> totally
>> red. When the XP "welcome" screen appears, display may or may not be
>> almost normal
>> When the system is fully loaded, the "Office" toolbar background is
>> red. Laptop is just over a year old, no mods other than software - AV
>> is
>> totally
>> up to date.
>>
>> Other than this "red" phenomenon, pc seems normal (though we've had
>> one instance of Word crashing (encountered an error/illegal
>> operation and must close down) for no apparent reason, in midddle of
>> creating a text doc. Any suggestions as to cause would be welcome.

It could also be someone fooling around with the video adapter gamma
setting for red.

Quaoar wrote:

> It could also be someone fooling around with the video adapter gamma
> setting for red.

No, it can't be anything but hardware. The problem occurs *before*
Windows even starts to boot.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: