please help i have no hair left
os winxp pro sp1
processor amd athlon 1.2ghz
ram 250 going on 496 meg

My problem is this.I have been given some memory from a friend but when i
have it in my machine it will not cleanly start up.What happens is a number
of things it may start but then tries to restart and fails or sometimes it
wont get past the first screens.I have found a way round it by clearing the
cmos by the jumper on the motherboard then when i start up on the first
screen it tells me "cmos check sum error defaults loaded press f1 after
pressing f1 and starting in normal windows mode it runs all day with 496 meg
in.Could it be the cmos battery is flat or is it the memory or something
else?any advice will be recieved with gratatude thanks

ravingbong wrote:
> please help i have no hair left
> os winxp pro sp1
> processor amd athlon 1.2ghz
> ram 250 going on 496 meg
>
> My problem is this.I have been given some memory from a friend but when i
> have it in my machine it will not cleanly start up.What happens is a number
> of things it may start but then tries to restart and fails or sometimes it
> wont get past the first screens.I have found a way round it by clearing the
> cmos by the jumper on the motherboard then when i start up on the first
> screen it tells me "cmos check sum error defaults loaded press f1 after
> pressing f1 and starting in normal windows mode it runs all day with 496 meg
> in.Could it be the cmos battery is flat or is it the memory or something
> else?any advice will be recieved with gratatude thanks

It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the
manufacturer's web site for specific instructions and compatibility
requirements.

If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

SiSoft's Sandra
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&lang=en

Belarc Advisor

Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

Lavalys' Everest Home
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
computer and/or motherboard.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Thank you for the swift and very helpful advice

ravingbong wrote:
> Thank you for the swift and very helpful advice

You're welcome.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

ravingbong wrote:

>My problem is this.I have been given some memory from a friend but when i
>have it in my machine it will not cleanly start up.What happens is a number
>of things it may start but then tries to restart and fails or sometimes it
>wont get past the first screens

It is probably not well enough matched to your old RAM. Windows is very
fussy on this. Try each of the modules on its own. If they work
individually but not together, pass the gift back with thanks, but. . .