XP Mode 32 bit on 64 bit system

faubcc

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Hello, I'm thinking of upgrading my Dell Studion 540 Vista Home Premium 64 bit system to Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate. Since I bought my Studio desktop last year, i've been unable to install some of my older XP software (mostly 16-bit games.) I get the pop-up saying that it not compatable. My question is, if I buy Win 7 ultimate and install it on my 64-bit system, will the downloaded XP mode VM run 32-bit apps or does it have to be the same as the "host" operating system? If it won't work, i don't wwant to spend the extra $100 - i'll just get Windows 7 Home Premium instead.

Also, one more question. I ran Microsoft's Hardware Assisted Virtualization tool, and it says that my Bios doesn't have Hardware virtualization. I spoke to Dell on their chat side, and they say my system will run XP mode fine. I don't know whow to believe. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike.

Sateg

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Don't spend $100 for games. You always can use Virtualbox for that.

XPMode is for professionals, for programs really important that uses the old XP API. (it doesn't run 3d games anyway)

If they are older games that don't require heavy graphics processing power, then go for Ultimate (or Professional if you don't need all the features in Ultimate). 32 bit guests can run inside of 64 bit hosts (and the other way around works as well), but have a poke through your BIOS and find anything resembling a setting for Virtualization in your BIOS. If you're not sure where to look, call up Dell and have them walk you through it.

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Since you have a copy a of Vista, I recommend you get Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade version and use Virtual machine programs to run Vista. VMware by far is one of the best VM programs if not the best. It also supports directx 9c and Open GL. You can access your DVD/USB/SD drives very easily.

Use VMware Player 3, free download here http://www.vmware.com/products/player.

Don’t waste extra $100+ on Pro or Ultimate versions just for sake of XP mode.

........................................................................................................
Other option is to have Windows Vista/7 Premium dual boot.
........................................................................................................

Sun’s Virtual box, seems to run slower than VMware.