GA-8KNXP USB Controller Problem, BIOS FG, FH, FI, FJ, FKa,..

Problem:
I recently upgraded my CPU from a 2.6 to a 3.4 Prescott, and added a
SATA HD (WD Raptor). After installing the CPU I checked my system
configuration in XP and noticed that the CPU was only recognized as 2.8
GHz. I figured this to be BIOS related and proceeded to upgrade my
BIOS. I was originally using BIOS version FE. I upgraded to newer
versions FG, FH, FI, FJ and FKa. In every version the first boot screen
(with the Gigabyte logo and memory check) hangs for well over a minute
- almost two. If I disable the onscreen branding for the Gigabyte logo
and Intel logo I can see that it hangs before the memory check. It just
sits there for an eternity. The good news is after the long boot
everything loads normally and the system runs fine. However I can’t
deal with a 2 minute load time. It’s killing me. When I revert back
to BIOS version FE – the load time is great and it works fine (minus
my CPU not being recognized)

System Config:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA8KNXP (rev 2.)
CPU: Intel Prescott 3.4
VGA: Asus V9560 /TD
OS: Win XP SP2
Memory: Kingston KHX3200K2/1G DDR 2x512 Speed : 2-2-2-6-1
Power Supply : Antec 500 W
HD 1: SATA WD Raptor 74GB (primary OS)
HD 2: IDE WD 200GB (storage)

General Useless info:
I spent countless hours trying to find the culprit. I contacted
customer support at Giga-byte, read every Google Groups post for 8KNXP
imaginable and found nothing. I wasted days of my life that I’ll
never get back �

Cause:
I finally found the problem. I decided to disable every item in my BIOS
and slowly one by one enabled each item and restart the system. In
doing this I was able to determine that it was my USB CONTROLLER that
was causing the long boot time. When I disabled that the boot time
worked great. It was the last thing I would have suspected. I tried
disconnecting my components and reconnecting them – but that didn’t
work. If I install a PS2 mouse and keyboard – and disable the USB
controller in the bios it boots right up. However I can’t live
without USB all my components are USB.

Please Help!
Has anyone experienced this? – if so is there any way to fix the
problem. I realize I could splurge on a PCI card but I’d rather not
if there is a solution out there.
17 answers Last reply
More about 8knxp controller problem bios

    I would suggest you load the latest Intel 875P Chipset Driver (7.2.1.1003)
    this compares with the 6.2.1.1001 version on the Gigabyte website. This INF
    file provides a USB instruction set. Checkout the information on the Intel
    website. Good Luck

    Jeff
    <email@davefink.com> wrote in message
[...]

    Jeff,

    I tried installing the Intel 875P Chipset Driver from the intel
    website. I used the auto installer and it didn't seem to work. I also
    tried downloading the version from the Giga-byte website. That didn't
    work either. Is there a manual instal process that I should be doing? I
    do see i875P AGP on the bios screen where it hangs.

    Thanks again for you help.

    Jeff,

    I guess I wasn't clear with my last message. I do apologize. I was able
    to install the Intel 875P Chipset Driver (7.2.1.1003). The
    INFINST_AUTOL.EXE did seem to detect my motherboard's chipset and it
    did install while I was in Windows, when it was finished it also did
    ask me to reboot. After I rebooted it didn't fix the problem - thats
    what I meant earlier by it didn't work. After that I also tried
    installing the verssion from the Gigabyte website - which also
    installed OK, but that didn't seem to fix the problem either. One thing
    I did not do was go into my hardware device manager and check on the
    date of the drivers. I will double check that tonight.

    I understand what you are saying about updating device drivers and how
    that can have an effect at load time - however the problem that I am
    having occurs well before XP is even initiated in the BIOS. It does
    make sense that it has something to do with the i875 chipset drivers as
    that chip controls the USB function. What is troblesome to me is - it
    works fine in BIOS version FE - but not others. I know perhaps I'm
    repeating myself - I'm still "thinking out loud." I'm completely
    stumped on this one. Let me try to explain in more detail what is
    happening and perhaps try to answer some questions for you. BTW I
    appreciate all your help. Gigabyte has been asking me stupid frikin'
    questions - you seem to have a much better grasp of whats going on. Ok
    here it goes:

    My sytem was stable running fine - but of course I had to upgrade a few
    things - new CPU, new SATA Raptor. My system is water cooled so the
    Prescott was appealing to me (price and all). I installed the CPU first
    without any problems. I then restarted my system with no changes to any
    settings (running BIOS FE). The CPU was in fact recognized in the BIOS
    as 3.4Ghz as I could see on the initial BIOS screen - however when I
    went into my system properties in XP - it read something like 3.4ghz
    CPU running at 2.8Ghz. I thought this was strange and my first reaction
    was - BIOS! So, I proceded to update to a newer version. Scared by FKa
    Beta I installed version FJ. After using the Q-Flash utility I instaled
    the new version without a hitch. I loaded fail safe defaults and
    proceded to reboot my sytem.
    PROBLEM STARTS HERE: Upon pressing the power button on my machine the
    very first BIOS screen hangs - for two minutes +. :( It does absolutely
    nothing. At the top the screen it says something like i875 AGPchipset
    running BIOS version FJ (not quoting - but its close) at the bottom it
    says Press del to enter bios - bla bla bla. So there it sits for two
    minutes + (IT'S PAINFULL!!!). Especially when your loading a new system
    and repeatidly restarting. Anyway after an eternity it goes into
    "memory check" which takes a few seconds - then it detects my drives
    which load quick - then it loads right into XP. In any regards the
    update to FJ (and others newer then FE) did fix my system settings in
    XP and it does say running at 3.4Ghz.

    Moving on - Initially I figured this problem was something with BIOS
    version FJ - so I proceded to upgrade to every other version upward
    from FE. The same thing happed with every single version - including
    FKa. By now - I've spent countless hours on this. Getting frustrated
    with the wait I decided to Disable every single item in my bios to see
    if that would even fix the problem - it did. So then I went back in and
    repeatidly enabled every item i was using for my system - one by one,
    and then rebooting. Finally I came to the USB controller - and BAM -
    LONG BOOT. SOB!!! WTF!!! I was shocked to find this the problem. Any
    who - I disabled it - went on to enable all my other componets and then
    restarted. It worked like a charm. I installed my PS 2 keyboard and
    mouse and have been using them ever since.

    Now that I had determined the problem and disabled the USB controller
    my boot times were great. I was so tired of wasting time on this I just
    wanted to install my new SATA Raptor and move on. So I took out my old
    IDE - installed XP on the SATA - went through the whole "SATA F6"
    extravaganza and was on my way. Wow what a diference a 3.4 cpu and a WD
    Raptor make - I was so happy with the performance. I installed all my
    other stuff. And now I'm back to this. I need my USB devices!!! - I
    know the hardware works - Your right it appears to be related to the
    i875 chipset as this controls USB. but how to fix?

    My last resort is purchasing a PCI USB conroller - but I can't bring
    myself to do it. I KNOW THIS CAN BE FIXED - I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW.
    Troubleshooting and fixing problems are my nature - I'm a developer by
    trade, so its part of what I do everyday - but this is killing me and I
    need help desparetly. I've become obsessed with this problem and I wont
    rest until its fixed. I'm afraid if I dont fix it soon my wife is going
    to kill me! Thanks again for all your help.

    Dave
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Dave,
    If you can't install the latest Intel INF file on top of your OS
    installation you have even more problems than you think. The
    INFINST_AUTOL.EXE file should detect your motherboard's chipset and apply
    the driver updates automatically (while in Windows) and only ask for a
    reboot after the installation process.
    Are you watching the date of the drivers installed for your devices in the
    Device Manager? What is the date of the USB Controllers drivers?
    Speaking of the Display Adapter. Have you recently updated your Display
    Adapter driver? ASUS posts updated drivers for your video card frequently.
    I keep bringing you back to checking the various device drivers because that
    is where boot-hangs are most often caused. Another area of suspect are
    programs that are being loaded at boot-up. Have you tried disabling many of
    your startup programs? List some of your programs that are being loaded at
    startup.
    I might add, the Gigabyte FD BIOS should have properly detected that 3.4
    Prescott CPU. Since you started your CPU upgrade with the FE BIOS it should
    have worked? Are you using default BIOS (no advanced) settings?

    Good Luck
    Jeff

    "dave" <email@davefink.com> wrote in message
    > Jeff,
    >
    > I tried installing the Intel 875P Chipset Driver from the intel
    > website. I used the auto installer and it didn't seem to work. I also
    > tried downloading the version from the Giga-byte website. That didn't
    > work either. Is there a manual instal process that I should be doing? I
    > do see i875P AGP on the bios screen where it hangs.
    >
    > Thanks again for you help.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Dave,
    Thanks for clarifying your problem. You are right, it is a BIOS problem. I'm
    keying on your remark about loading defaults after installing the new BIOS.
    There are many RAID settings that are enabled when defaults are loaded. I
    assume you have your WD Raptor installed on SATA port0. Can I make the
    following suggestions (all other settings set to default):

    In the BIOS, on the Intergrated Peripherals page.
    On-Chip SATA AUTO
    SATA RAID Function Disabled
    USB Keyborad Support Enabled
    USB Mouse Support Enabled
    Serial ATA Function Base
    Onboard H/W GIGARAID Disabled
    GigaRAID Function ATA

    On the Frequency/Voltage Control page
    CPU Host Clock Control Enabled

    I have the 8KNXP Ultra 64 board and 3.0 Prescott. I enable the CPU Host
    Clock Control option. Look at the top of page 58 in your users manual, read
    the note about the CPU Host Clock Control BIOS option. This sounds like what
    is happening to your setup. I'm guessing the 3.4 Prescott is is clock ratio
    locked and that the CPU Clock Ratio is displaying 'Locked'.

    Let me know

> [...]
    > IDE - installed XP on the SATA - went through the whole "SATA F6"
    > extravaganza and was on my way. Wow what a diference a 3.4 cpu and a WD
    > Raptor make - I was so happy with the performance. I installed all my
    > other stuff. And now I'm back to this. I need my USB devices!!! - I
    > know the hardware works - Your right it appears to be related to the
    > i875 chipset as this controls USB. but how to fix?
    >
    > My last resort is purchasing a PCI USB conroller - but I can't bring
    > myself to do it. I KNOW THIS CAN BE FIXED - I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW.
    > Troubleshooting and fixing problems are my nature - I'm a developer by
    > trade, so its part of what I do everyday - but this is killing me and I
    > need help desparetly. I've become obsessed with this problem and I wont
    > rest until its fixed. I'm afraid if I dont fix it soon my wife is going
    > to kill me! Thanks again for all your help.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I'm sad to say that didn't work either. I did read what you were saying
    about the Clock Bios Control option, and it did seem to fit the
    description of what was happening. Though mine hangs for much more then
    20 seconds - I think I could deal with a 20 seconds lag. In any regards
    I tried the settings you suggested - but it didn't seem to help. :( The
    long boot time was still the same. I'm going to put this down for the
    weekend and pick it back up on Monday. If there's anything else you can
    think of let me know. Thanks again for all your help - I'm still
    optomistic.

    Dave
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Dave,
    Quoting you: "PROBLEM STARTS HERE: Upon pressing the power button on my
    machine the
    very first BIOS screen hangs - for two minutes +. :( It does absolutely
    nothing. At the top the screen it says something like i875 AGPchipset
    running BIOS version FJ (not quoting - but its close) at the bottom it
    says Press del to enter bios - bla bla bla. So there it sits for two
    minutes + (IT'S PAINFULL!!!). "

    With the BIOS load screen displaying only its' version line; the first thing
    the BIOS is doing is identifying your CPU and completing a system health
    check. That seems to be what your BIOS is hanging-on.

    I know if I power-down in the middle of a boot-up, my next BIOS boot-up
    screen
    will display information about my CPU. If after a successful boot-up, the
    next BIOS boot-up screen will not display the CPU information and until the
    boot-up process is interupted again will never display the CPU information.

    Your BIOS is being interupted while making its' system health check. The
    first part of that check is connection with the CPU. Have you thought about
    the possibility that the 3.4 Prescott is bad? Can you get an exchange on the
    CPU?

    I know it's a pain but have you tried reinstalling your old CPU?

    > I'm sad to say that didn't work either. I did read what you were saying
    > about the Clock Bios Control option, and it did seem to fit the
    > description of what was happening. Though mine hangs for much more then
    > 20 seconds - I think I could deal with a 20 seconds lag. In any regards
    > I tried the settings you suggested - but it didn't seem to help. :( The
    > long boot time was still the same. I'm going to put this down for the
    > weekend and pick it back up on Monday. If there's anything else you can
    > think of let me know. Thanks again for all your help - I'm still
    > optomistic.
    >
    > Dave

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Jeff,

    I've been away all weekend so I haven't been able to "play". In any
    regards - I haven't really focused on the CPU as the issue. The reason
    being: If I disable the USB controller and use a PS 2 keyboard and
    mouse my system runs great. The boot time is super fast and XP loads in
    a jiff. Not to mention it's been super stable. (I've played some games
    to test and left it on for a few days without any problems). The other
    odd thing is if I enable the USB Controller and wiat through the long
    boot - after that everything is fast and stable as well. Also - if I
    use BIOS version FE, the USB contoller doesn't seem to be an issue. I
    guess to me it doesn't seem like it's a faulty CPU. Is this something
    that could be caused by a faulty CPU? If so then I think I better get
    on the ball - I baught it from ewiz and I think there warranty period
    is only 30 days - I'll have to check. I know there return policy is
    only 7 days - which is BS b/c it took 8 days to ship. Had I had it to
    do over I definetly would have spent the extra 5 bucks at newegg.
    Heinsight :( ah well.

    Also I just got a reply from gigabyte - I sent them a copy of this post
    basically - minus some edits. They said if I have tried everthing and
    have determined it's the USB controller to send it back for RMA. I'm
    just not so sure though - and I can't go without my MOBO - god knows
    how long they'll have it.

    I think at this point I'll take your advice and reinstall the old CPU
    and see what happens. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

    Thanks,
    Dave
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Ok! - So I you said something about rebooting during start up and then
    looking for an error message. So I did this, and found something very -
    very interesting which I "think" might be "IT". OK so - I pressed the
    reset button during the long wait to see what would happen. When my
    machine rebooted it flew past the initial (hang) screen and loaded
    right into my "old" OS. (I never deleted my old XP partition on my IDE
    drive) Somehow the false restart triggered my bios to load into the IDE
    hard drive. This gave me a huge clue and I got to thinking. Why would
    it boot right into my old IDE drive and not hang on the boot screen? It
    has to be "some" configuration/driver. Here's my theory - I never
    mentioned this befor b/c I thought it was irrevelant, however I think
    it may play a huge part in my problem. I think it has to do with the
    "F6" intel chipset driver.

    When I installed my SATA HD - I tried downloading the ICH5R driver from
    the Gigabyte website however I could not get it to work properly (after
    trying numerous times to download it). So as a last resort I followed
    the instructions from the ICH5R install document on the Gigabyte
    website
    (http://america.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_sata_raid_os_ich5r_e.pdf).
    In this document it had me get the "old" driver from the original
    install disc. I made a floppy from that and was on my way. I think now
    I have reason to believe that this "old" driver was not sufficient.
    Whadya think? My next question is - can I get the new driver from the
    Intel website - is it compatabile? and can I reinstall the new "F6"
    ICH5R driver without reinstalling XP? I SURE HOPE SO. I've spent hours
    reconfiguring my PC - however I guess shame on me for not getting the
    bugs out first. So my question to you is - do you think this is it? and
    can I fix it without reinstalling everything else. Thanks for all you
    help! - Dave
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I've been digging around and have found some important information. It
    seems you were right from the get go - to install the Intel Chipset
    Drivers. However, I installed them using the Auto.exe method. Aparently
    this does not work if you have already installed other drivers on your
    OS. There is another manual method that you must follow to install from
    the zip version. I overlooked this originally thinking the auto method
    would acomplish the same thing - Aparently not. :-( From reading this
    post
    (http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7599&highlight)
    and others, they seem to fit my problem almost to a T. It has to be it!
    My next step is to follow the manual instal method and see what
    happens. I have my fingers crossed - I think this is it. I'll let you
    know.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Dave,
    The IAA_Raid.exe driver from your motherboard CD is the driver that should
    be used to install your OS on a SATA drive on the ICH5R Intel Chipset. It
    sounds as if you have properly installed this driver while prompting an F6
    during installation of the OS.

    Once the OS is installed, insert the motherboard CD and using the Gigabyte
    'Xpress Install" application, install all the motherboard drivers (there is
    even an 'USB Patch for WinXP'). Gigabyte recommends you install all
    components on the list. Just select the drivers you want and click the 'GO
    Button'. 'Xpress Install' will execute the installation for you by itself.

    Once the motherboard CD has been used to load the chipset drivers then it's
    time to configure the system to log onto the Internet and download all the
    OS updates. Remember there is a USB-2 update that you will most likely need.

    Please try the following settings in the BIOS.

    Under the "integrated Peripheral" -
    1) Make sure the "On-Chip SATA" is set to "Manual".
    2) Set the "SATA Port0" to SATA port0.
    3) Set the "SATA Port1" to SATA port1.
    4) Set "SATA RAID function" to disable.

    Under the "advanced BIOS feature" -
    Place the "SCSI-SATA HDD " to the first one in "HDD boot priority".

    Using the EXE Intel Chipset Utility will normally update drivers that
    require updating. The manual method using the ZIP version allows you update
    the drivers as you wish. The manual method is usually not required and would
    not advise. You could use this method to update just your USB controller
    drivers (worth a shot?).

    Let me know if this works.

    > I've been digging around and have found some important information. It
    > seems you were right from the get go - to install the Intel Chipset
    > Drivers. However, I installed them using the Auto.exe method. Aparently
    > this does not work if you have already installed other drivers on your
    > OS. There is another manual method that you must follow to install from
    > the zip version. I overlooked this originally thinking the auto method
    > would acomplish the same thing - Aparently not. :-( From reading this
    > post
    > (http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7599&highlight)
    > and others, they seem to fit my problem almost to a T. It has to be it!
    > My next step is to follow the manual instal method and see what
    > happens. I have my fingers crossed - I think this is it. I'll let you
    > know.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Jeff,
    That didn't work :'-( I really thought it was going to - I thought we
    had it.
    I tried everything:
    - installed all drivers from install disk (express install) - no luck
    - reconfigured my bios settings as you suggested - no luck
    - updated my intel drivers manually - no luck

    Next steps
    - Disconnect SATA entirely - disable in BIOS - boot to originial IDE
    drive - see if still hangs. If this works (no hang) - then i'll
    continue to reinstall my SATA drive from scratch and follow all the
    "rules", if it still hangs - well I just don't know.

    Everything is stable after the boot - I ran my Hot CPU Tester Pro -
    everything came up great - I've played games and got awsome performance
    (more stable then prior to the install - no crashes). The system seems
    flawless, except for this one thing.

    Is there any way to disable the Healtscan so it will just bypass the
    test?

    Thanks for all your help - I really do appreciate it - This one is
    starting to ware me out - I've spent sooooooooooooooo much time on it.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I GOT IT!!!
    ok - shame on me for not trying this sooner, but anyway I found the
    problem. I had my USB 6 in 1 Internal Card Reader hooked up to my
    internal USB 2.0 connector. I disconect this and Bam - works great.
    Start up is QUICK. I just don't get it, the device worked fine once it
    was up and running. Anyway it's not the board connection b/c i placed
    my External USB adapter to each connection and it worked fine. Weird.
    So anyway I'm gonna try a new card ready and hope it works. I thought
    about trying that soon - I wish I had. Ah well at least its fixed. I
    just want to thank you again for all your help - I learned alot in the
    process even though the things didn't work.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    >I GOT IT!!!
    > ok - shame on me for not trying this sooner, but anyway I found the
    > problem. I had my USB 6 in 1 Internal Card Reader hooked up to my
    > internal USB 2.0 connector. I disconect this and Bam - works great.
    > Start up is QUICK. I just don't get it, the device worked fine once it
    > was up and running. Anyway it's not the board connection b/c i placed
    > my External USB adapter to each connection and it worked fine. Weird.
    > So anyway I'm gonna try a new card ready and hope it works. I thought
    > about trying that soon - I wish I had. Ah well at least its fixed. I
    > just want to thank you again for all your help - I learned alot in the
    > process even though the things didn't work.
    Remember if you have USB emulation for disk drives enabled in the BIOS,
    every adapter of this sort, has the potential to contain a 'boot' device.
    If you don't need to boot from USB, disable this emulation, and you may
    find the performance improves.

    Best Wishes
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    As the problem has been identified I have started a separate post to
    determine the solution.

    Please go here:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte/browse_thread/thread/22bceb92e7e1688d/b242ad660f15cc93?hl=en#b242ad660f15cc93

    Thank you for all your help.
    Dave
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I was looiking on the web for info on the Kingston Memory
    KHX3200K2/1G, because I have this kit. I noticed that you have the
    same motherboard as me and I basically had the same issues. I did
    solve the problem but since then I could not find any more of these
    kits so I switched memory and now they are just sitting on my desk
    ready to get ebay'ed. But this is what I found out as I was working
    out this problem. I tried everything you have, I did have to go into
    the advanced settings in the BIOS and make sure the setting were set
    perfectly for the ram(no overclocking). But I still had the problem,
    and as you have figured out it was the USB causing the errors. Well
    since the USB has little to do with what was going on I was clueless.
    So I decided to contact Microsoft and used the email support system. I
    got a responds back within 24hrs and the tech asked me to do a memory
    dump and email it, so I did. A few days later the tech emailed me
    back and told me to try this solution. Which to tell you sounded odd.
    But I tried it anyway, and poof no more problems.

    All the tech said was it was probable a USB issue so here is the fix.

    Go into device manager/hardware and go to the USB section. Then
    UN-install
    all USB items listed. then Reboot.
    Doing this will allow windows to find and reinstall the USB devices in
    the proper order in which windows finds them.
    It seems that adding the usb devices one at a time while setting up
    the system did not take into account how windows finds them in the
    boot process. So allowing the windows OS to do it the way it wants to
    seems to solve the problem, Go Figure!

    Well I hope this helps, and just a quick comment, the memory is great
    but I don't think overclocking is really worth the gain and with the
    memory and motherboard you have it's a great system anyways so
    overclocking really doesn't help.

    I think at this point the problem is a 1-2-3 issue, Motherboard,
    memory, USB. After I switched memory I never did have this issue
    again. So yes it is a motherboard issue but it is how it handles the
    memory, which inturn is how the memory handles the USB. 1-2-3

Gigabyte BIOS Motherboards