Multifunction printer/scanner

Greetings,
Can anyone recommend a good multifunction printer/scanner?
Primarily for printing color photographs. I know multifunction
machines are jacks of all trades and masters of none, and I don't need
supreme quality, just something that would look good up close or hung
on a wall. So many reviews of new ones on the market talk about
banding and color bleeding. I'd like to try color printing and if I
could dump my old scanner in the process that would be great. Faxing
and copying are not important. Thanks for any help.
-Mark
6 answers Last reply
More about multifunction printer scanner

    "Mark C" <markc@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    > Can anyone recommend a good multifunction printer/scanner?
    > Primarily for printing color photographs. I know multifunction
    > machines are jacks of all trades and masters of none, and I don't need
    > supreme quality, just something that would look good up close or hung
    > on a wall. So many reviews of new ones on the market talk about
    > banding and color bleeding. I'd like to try color printing and if I
    > could dump my old scanner in the process that would be great. Faxing
    > and copying are not important.

    You might take a look as the HP PSC Photosmart 2410. It makes very nice full
    bleed (4 sided edge to edge) photo prints, scans, prints and copies. It also
    has fax capability and card slots for printing from memory cards. If you
    install the optional photo cartridge in place of the included black cartridge
    it will give six color printing. See
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/ho/WF06b/18972-238444-410635-12085-410635-303752-303754-303755.html
    for details. $299 US. The 2410 also supports an optional two sided duplexer
    to print double sided (but not on photo paper).

    The PSC 2175 is similar but does not have capability to print full bleed
    photos - there is a 0.46" bottom margin and 0.25" side margins required. The
    2175 also does not have fax. See
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/ho/WF06b/18972-238444-410635-12085-410635-90805-90810-90811.html
    for details. $179 US.

    Regards,

    Mark C wrote:
    > Greetings,
    > Can anyone recommend a good multifunction printer/scanner?
    > Primarily for printing color photographs.

    Hi Mark,
    take a look at hp's office jet series... some colleagues told me they had
    made good experiences with them.

    manuel

    The Canon MP730 does it all. Photo printing is excellent, scanning is
    relatively quick and accurate and although faxing and copying are not among
    your major prerequisites it also does those functions extremely well. I've
    used one for about a year and am quite satisfied. The photos from my canon
    i960 are certainly superior but it takes a close comparison to discern the
    difference.

    Mark C wrote:

    > Greetings,
    > Can anyone recommend a good multifunction printer/scanner?
    > Primarily for printing color photographs.

    Maybe Epson RX500?

    http://www.epson.com/cmc_upload/0/000/026/864/Rx500_InfoSheet.pdf

    Uses 6 different colour cartridges, same as R300, which produces great
    pictures. Epson scanners are considered to be one of the best. Doesn't
    have fax because Epsons doesn't have it but you don't need it. Think
    about it.

    --
    #£ukasz Ledóchowski
    #lukled@tlen.pl

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:28:15 -0400, Mark C <markc@nowhere.com> wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a good multifunction printer/scanner?
    >Primarily for printing color photographs.[snipped]...

    hi, have rx600, great photos, nice scans & copies, can be used as
    plain paper fax (with your fax software); has about 8 card reader
    slots incl micro-drive, film negative & slide scan capability. for my
    purposes its fine. had one of the first hp officejets (1170cse), it
    cost 800 at the time & lasted 7 years; when it died last month i
    started checking around for a $300.00 replacement. found the rx600 at
    MWave for 308.00 and so far haven't regretted it.

    this is my first epson, and some of the quirks associated with it (IC
    Chips on ink carts, prone to head clogging when not in use for fairly
    short periods of time) MAY have led me to a different decision had i
    known about them before i bought it. i never had a prob with the hp
    until it died; (bad scanner assembly, replacement cost 297.00
    refurb!!). the hp 2410 & canon 730 were my other two possibles, of
    course YMMV, good luck

    pax,
    h2

    Thanks everyone for your responses. I ended up with a Canon MP390, so
    far so good.

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:28:15 -0400, Mark C <markc@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >Greetings,
    > Can anyone recommend a good multifunction printer/scanner?
    >Primarily for printing color photographs. I know multifunction
    >machines are jacks of all trades and masters of none, and I don't need
    >supreme quality, just something that would look good up close or hung
    >on a wall. So many reviews of new ones on the market talk about
    >banding and color bleeding. I'd like to try color printing and if I
    >could dump my old scanner in the process that would be great. Faxing
    >and copying are not important. Thanks for any help.
    >-Mark

Printers Scanners Peripherals