8KNXP - 875P chipset

Phillip

Wondering if anyone can help.

Am I able to run 2 SATA drives off the Intel ICH5r whilst having IDE 1 and 2
occupied by a DVD writer, CD writer and DVD ROM?

I am finding that I can have drives connected to either Intel SATA ports or
the IDE ports 1 and 2 but not both at the same time?

At the moment I have both my SATA HDD's connected to the Sil ports with a
third HDD connected to the ITE IDE port 3. I would prefer to have the SATA
drives connected to the Intel ICH but I cannot seem to get the bios right
because I always loose my optical drives.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Phil

Phillip wrote:
> Am I able to run 2 SATA drives off the Intel ICH5r whilst having IDE
> 1 and 2 occupied by a DVD writer, CD writer and DVD ROM?

I have this configuration on the reduced-feature version of this board,
the 8IK1100. It works fine.

From GB's instructions relative to ICH5R driver installation, etc. on
the 8IK1100 - your board should be similar.
------------------
Please try the following settings in the BIOS.

Under the "integrated Peripheral" -
1) Make sure the "On-Chip SATA" is set to "Manual".
2) Set the "SATA Port0" to SATA port0.
3) Set the "SATA Port1" to SATA port1.
4) Set "SATA RAID function" to enable.

Under the "advanced BIOS feature" -
1) For Rev.1.1 -
Place the "SATA" to the first one in "/SCSI/SATA/RAID boot order".Set
the "first boot device" to SCSI.
2) For Rev. 2.0 -
Place the "SCSI-SATA HDD " to the first one in "HDD boot priority".

You need to prepare the RAID driver on the floppy disk.
1) Browse the M/B utility CD.
2) Open the "bootdrv" folder.
3) Double click "Menu".
4) Type the number for the needed driver( IAARAID). It will copy the
driver to the floppy disk automatically.

If you have only one SATA HDD, you don"t need to get into the RAID setup
utility.

If you have two SATA HDDs and want to set to RAID0/RAID1, you will need
to get into the RAID setup utility to set it up. (Press "Ctrl+I" key to
get in.)

When you boot from the CD and the Windows setup screen comes up, press
"F6" to install the 3rd party driver and follow the instruction to
install the OS.

Thank you for using Gigabyte products.
Gigabyte technical support team.

You don't mention if you have a Rev 1 or a Rev 2 of this board.

I have a Rev 1 version, and I am currently running
74gig Raptor on Intel SATA port 1
300gig Maxtor on Intel SATA Port 2
400gig Hatachi on Primary IDE Master
400gig Seagate on Primary IDE Slave
Plextor 716A on Secondary IDE Master
DVD-ROM on Secondary IDE Slave

Windows XP Pro

"Phillip" <phil@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Wondering if anyone can help.
>
> Am I able to run 2 SATA drives off the Intel ICH5r whilst having IDE 1 and
> 2 occupied by a DVD writer, CD writer and DVD ROM?
>
> I am finding that I can have drives connected to either Intel SATA ports
> or the IDE ports 1 and 2 but not both at the same time?
>
> At the moment I have both my SATA HDD's connected to the Sil ports with a
> third HDD connected to the ITE IDE port 3. I would prefer to have the SATA
> drives connected to the Intel ICH but I cannot seem to get the bios right
> because I always loose my optical drives.
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.
>
> Phil

Phillip

The board is Rev 1 and the bios is F5. I have had this board new since July
2003 without a single problem.

I am running XP Pro SP2 and I am not running any RAID setup, I just have two
drives for extra storage.

I followed the instruction below and system restarts while booting at the
Windows logo where the blue line is scrolling left to right.
I have it running at the moment with both my 120 gig Seagates connected to
the ICH5R SATA ports but I had to map SATA Port 0 to Secondary master,
this way I still have access to both burners which are on IDE 1 but my DVD
Rom is gone as it is connected to IDE 2.

While I type this I can see that HDD activity LED is constantly on but the
disks are not actually doing anything, any clues as to why?

Would upgrading the bios be necessary?

If the board doesn't support SATA drives connected to the Intel ICH5R ports
in a non RAID configuration while using IDE 1 and 2 would be annoying but
not the end of the world.

Thanks again,

Phil.

P.S My Powercolor 9800Pro purchased 2 years ago just died two weeks ago, I
don't really play games that often but is this common with these cards? $800
bucks gone.
I replaced it with a 6600GT and that card ain't good with the NFS
Underground series, too much framing.