6 in 1 USB card reader Causing Bios Boot Hang (MOBO GA-8KN..

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 22, 2005 10:31:50 AM

After MANY hours of troubleshooting, with help from others (see post
below), I was able to determine that my USB 2.0 6 in 1 Card Reader is
causing my bios to hang for a very long time (2 minutes plus). It
seems this is a common issue - as I have found reading other posts,
however I have not yet been able to find a solution.

I have a Gigabyte GA8KNXP (rev 2.) motherboard and this problem
occurred when I upgraded my Bios (to fix another issue). After
installing 'ANY' bios newer then version FE the long boot problem
occurs. If I revert back to Bios FE it works fine. Unfortunately for me
I can't use Bios version FE b/c it doesn't recognize my CPU correctly.

As I've come to understand, the problem is that during the BIOS system
test - the USB card reader is recognized as a bootable drive and the
BIOS scans each individual drive waiting for a "timeout" (this eats up
two minutes).

Has anyone using this board found a solution? Is there any way to
disable this feature so the bios will not see it as a bootable devise?

If there is no solution, is there another 3 1/2 internal bay card
reader that will work and not cause this problem?

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.ma...
August 25, 2005 2:47:04 PM

Does anyone have an internal USB Card reader that is working with this
mother board and doesn't cause the boot hang?

I'm working with Gigabyte to try to get them to put out a BIOS update
to give the user the option of booting from USB devices.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2005 2:18:25 AM

"dave" <email@davefink.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have an internal USB Card reader that is working with this
> mother board and doesn't cause the boot hang?
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem?
>
> I'm working with Gigabyte to try to get them to put out a BIOS update
> to give the user the option of booting from USB devices.

Booting from USB would be very useful
!