Boot problems (GA-8IPE1000-G)

I recently purchased a GA-8IPE1000-G motherboard and after installing
it in my computer and getting everything hooked up, I am getting some
strange results.

Neither the power or reset switches do anything, I have to use the
switch on the power supply to turn the system on. According to the
manual, I have all the plugs on the FPANEL correctly (as best as I
can tell).

The system powers on, all fans are going, hard disk starts spinning,
and then the whole thing turns off. This happens about 3-4 seconds
after turning it on. Nothing is displayed on the monitor.

I tried popping out the video card and booting the system as stated
above. With no card, it fires up and gives a single beep followed by
2 quick beeps (manual says video/display issue for that) so it looks
like POST is running correctly.

I tried with and without my IDE drives plugged in, no difference.

The video card I have been using is an ATI Raedon 9600 XT 128M. With
this card installed, the system beeps once before it turns off.

I tried a different video card (nVidia GeForce 3 Ti) and the system
does not beep at all but still turns off after a few seconds.

Not sure what this all means, just hoping to find some help.

Thanks in advance!

I'm running that mobo now with a P4 3.0E (prescott core) 1m L2, 2 gigs
PC3200 and GF4 Ti4600, XP Pro.

some things to look at....
check your front panel switch hookups with a magnifying glass, reading the
legend on the main board, compare what you've got to page 26 of your manual.
if you don't have the paper booklet, you can dl the manual at Gigabyte.

Is your HD LED lighting up until the Hd is discovered by BIOS?

Does the power light come on? Book shows 3 posts for the power LED just
below the two row front panel connector. It is possible to misconnect and
put the reset switch half on the hd light and half on the reset.

Clear the cmos. Just unplug the power cable from the power supply, then
remove the coin battery for about a minute. Replace it, turn system on.

If everything IS hooked up right (try with no LEd's, just the power and
reset switches only), could be that somehow the board is grounding, like on
the mounting pad screws. Check that carefully. The mobo could be
stressed/bent if different height posts are used. look for ANY signs of
wear/damage in the circular pad where the mounting screws go.

There might be something to do with the AGP slot itself. Little piece of
debris like fleck of plastic inside the slot preventing contact of some
pins. Power supply could be faulty.

Does the 9600XT have a molex connector that isn't plugged in with a HD power
cable?

HTH, and do let us know what you find.

McG. (who knows the IPE1000-G is a very good board!)

"Talraith" <eldendaf@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a GA-8IPE1000-G motherboard and after installing
> it in my computer and getting everything hooked up, I am getting some
> strange results.
>
> Neither the power or reset switches do anything, I have to use the
> switch on the power supply to turn the system on. According to the
> manual, I have all the plugs on the FPANEL correctly (as best as I
> can tell).
>
> The system powers on, all fans are going, hard disk starts spinning,
> and then the whole thing turns off. This happens about 3-4 seconds
> after turning it on. Nothing is displayed on the monitor.
>
> I tried popping out the video card and booting the system as stated
> above. With no card, it fires up and gives a single beep followed by
> 2 quick beeps (manual says video/display issue for that) so it looks
> like POST is running correctly.
>
> I tried with and without my IDE drives plugged in, no difference.
>
> The video card I have been using is an ATI Raedon 9600 XT 128M. With
> this card installed, the system beeps once before it turns off.
>
> I tried a different video card (nVidia GeForce 3 Ti) and the system
> does not beep at all but still turns off after a few seconds.
>
> Not sure what this all means, just hoping to find some help.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Does the board attempt to beep before rebooting?

Sounds like some crook ram. I purchased a new system in pieces a couple of
weeks ago. The 8I915P-duo. First fire up, I got nothing. Had the power
switch wire wrong. Sorted that it fired up and beeped long beeps
continiously. A stick of Kingston DDR2 ram was DOA. All replaced and up and
going.

There has to be an easier way of particianing SATA drives also. I had to
install the HDD from my old system. Partician the drive and fit it back in.
As it'd only recognise 137gb of a 200gb drive.

"Talraith" <eldendaf@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a GA-8IPE1000-G motherboard and after installing
> it in my computer and getting everything hooked up, I am getting some
> strange results.
>
> Neither the power or reset switches do anything, I have to use the
> switch on the power supply to turn the system on. According to the
> manual, I have all the plugs on the FPANEL correctly (as best as I
> can tell).
>
> The system powers on, all fans are going, hard disk starts spinning,
> and then the whole thing turns off. This happens about 3-4 seconds
> after turning it on. Nothing is displayed on the monitor.
>
> I tried popping out the video card and booting the system as stated
> above. With no card, it fires up and gives a single beep followed by
> 2 quick beeps (manual says video/display issue for that) so it looks
> like POST is running correctly.
>
> I tried with and without my IDE drives plugged in, no difference.
>
> The video card I have been using is an ATI Raedon 9600 XT 128M. With
> this card installed, the system beeps once before it turns off.
>
> I tried a different video card (nVidia GeForce 3 Ti) and the system
> does not beep at all but still turns off after a few seconds.
>
> Not sure what this all means, just hoping to find some help.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Got the same problem with two of the same motherboards, from what I have read via net its a fault on the motherboard to do with the usb slots used for the front of the puter, tried emailing gigabyte but got no reply, the icu 45 chip goes or something, pile of crap wount by another ine, anyone suggest a replacment so I can re use the parts I have