USB 2.0 PCI Host Card

Karen

Hi,
I have just installed a Compaq 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Host Card on my computer
(Dell Dimension 8100, OS Window XP Pro) I already had USB 1 but have devices
that required the faster USB. The new USB is working and there are no yellow
marks in my device manager but when I startup my computer I get an error
message the says I/O Card parity at F000:BB87 Type(S)hutoff NMI, (R)eboot,
other keys to continue.
When I type S It than has the same message except instead of the earlier
letters and numbers it is F000: 272B
So, I type S again and the computer than starts and acts normal. I tried an
earlier suggestion made on this site whereby I disconnected all USB devices
and went into Device manager and uninstalled the USB connections, then
restarted and let windows detect the new hardware and install the drivers.
This did not change it. I still received the same error at startup. Any
suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Try moving the card to another slot, or try to disable the USB 1 in the BIOS.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

"Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have just installed a Compaq 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Host Card on my computer
> (Dell Dimension 8100, OS Window XP Pro) I already had USB 1 but have devices
> that required the faster USB. The new USB is working and there are no yellow
> marks in my device manager but when I startup my computer I get an error
> message the says I/O Card parity at F000:BB87 Type(S)hutoff NMI, (R)eboot,
> other keys to continue.
> When I type S It than has the same message except instead of the earlier
> letters and numbers it is F000: 272B
> So, I type S again and the computer than starts and acts normal. I tried an
> earlier suggestion made on this site whereby I disconnected all USB devices
> and went into Device manager and uninstalled the USB connections, then
> restarted and let windows detect the new hardware and install the drivers.
> This did not change it. I still received the same error at startup. Any
> suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Karen

Thanks David for the quick response. Just to be sure that I know exactly what
you mean. Disable USB 1 in the BIOS for good? Then would I move everything
that was on USB 1 to USB2? When I installed the card I tried another slot and
I received the same message. Sorry, if I sound dumb but I really don't know
much about some of this stuff.

"David Vair" wrote:

> Try moving the card to another slot, or try to disable the USB 1 in the BIOS.
> --
> Dave Vair
> CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
> Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)
>
> "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have just installed a Compaq 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Host Card on my computer
> > (Dell Dimension 8100, OS Window XP Pro) I already had USB 1 but have devices
> > that required the faster USB. The new USB is working and there are no yellow
> > marks in my device manager but when I startup my computer I get an error
> > message the says I/O Card parity at F000:BB87 Type(S)hutoff NMI, (R)eboot,
> > other keys to continue.
> > When I type S It than has the same message except instead of the earlier
> > letters and numbers it is F000: 272B
> > So, I type S again and the computer than starts and acts normal. I tried an
> > earlier suggestion made on this site whereby I disconnected all USB devices
> > and went into Device manager and uninstalled the USB connections, then
> > restarted and let windows detect the new hardware and install the drivers.
> > This did not change it. I still received the same error at startup. Any
> > suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Karen, having installed a UDB2 card on top of USB1 very recently (and had
problems) advice I received was to go to Device Manager, UNINSTALL EVERY
INSTANCE of USB (and DO ensure you have a non-USB mouse/keyboard and that
you have disconnected all USB devices first)
Reboot, and XP will then detect and install both USB and USB2 correctly

Worked for me (the warning about disconnecting USB devices is VERY relevant)

Hope this helps - do tell. Sincerely, Len