ljk

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

Hi -
I have xp home on an [adjective] ___ pre-install hp
pavilion a300n. ASUS CD-R/W drive no longer will read most
CD-R's or burn them. For some reason, CD-RW's are still
fine. Yes, I tried a few different brands and no luck.

Have purchased an external DVD/CD-R/W drive for more data
storage and to try and use CD-R's once again! [Egads] But
it seems like once the drive letter is assigned to it for
DVD, when I turn it on again and try CD's - nope.

What could've been the original cause of this? Any suggtns.?

Thanks,
El

"LJK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi -
| I have xp home on an [adjective] ___ pre-install hp
| pavilion a300n. ASUS CD-R/W drive no longer will read most
| CD-R's or burn them. For some reason, CD-RW's are still
| fine. Yes, I tried a few different brands and no luck.
|
| Have purchased an external DVD/CD-R/W drive for more data
| storage and to try and use CD-R's once again! [Egads] But
| it seems like once the drive letter is assigned to it for
| DVD, when I turn it on again and try CD's - nope.
|
| What could've been the original cause of this? Any suggtns.?
|
| Thanks,
| El

You don't say what software you're using. XP's own burning facilities will
recognize only one burner. If you're using a third-party app such as Nero,
you will be able to see two (or more) burners but you should disable XP's
burning capability.

ricardo

You have to make sure that the drive is enabled to record CDs.You do
this by selecting the drive, properties, enable recording on this drive,
put a tick in the box. Sometimes when you play a DVD it undoes what I
have just told you above. So remeber to check.
ricardo

"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
| You have to make sure that the drive is enabled to record CDs.You do
| this by selecting the drive, properties, enable recording on this drive,
| put a tick in the box. Sometimes when you play a DVD it undoes what I
| have just told you above. So remeber to check.
| ricardo

The OP says he can burn CD-RWs, which he couldn't do if the drive weren't
enabled, unless he's using a thrid-party burning program.

Hi again -
> You don't say what software you're using. XP's own burning facilities will
> recognize only one burner. If you're using a third-party app such as Nero,
> you will be able to see two (or more) burners but you should disable XP's
> burning capability.

I usually used xp burning for data CD-R/W's and for music, dbpower amp cd
writer - which may actually have utilized same. [It's been awhile...]
Sonic's Rec. Now was included on this box, and may have used that a couple of
times, as well.

Music CD's were more problematic - even when being sure there was plenty of
room to spare. Data was better, but then often couldn't be read by the drive
a month later! [Yet any CD-RW's burned are still readable.]

The new external drive came with Sonic's "My DVD", which seems sort of
cheesy - so I've used Rec. Now successfully to burn data onto DVD-R's. It
also has DLA - which I'm not sure how to use - or why to...

Anyway, I am still confused that a Box just over a year old would have this
kind
of difficulties - reading CD-R's. AND that the new drive seems to be 'seen'
as just a DVD drive by the OS - not allowing CD's to be read, either!

Did that clarify anything?

El.

You could try a free trial of the latest version of Nero to see if that
helps you. www.nero.com.

Remove any other third party recording software first as per Nero's
recommendation.

For recording media have you followed the burners manufacturers
recommendation for compatible media?

I remember seeing a notice on a Nero OEM software setup manual (shipped with
a LG DVD RW drive) stating that the software should/would only work properly
on the drive it shipped with. For use with other burners one should
purchase the retail version. I don't know how that works in reality as I
only have one burner. If true for Nero, maybe it is applicable to other
software - I don't know though.

r.

"El Jay Kay" <ElJayKay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi again -
>> You don't say what software you're using. XP's own burning facilities
>> will
>> recognize only one burner. If you're using a third-party app such as
>> Nero,
>> you will be able to see two (or more) burners but you should disable XP's
>> burning capability.
>
> I usually used xp burning for data CD-R/W's and for music, dbpower amp cd
> writer - which may actually have utilized same. [It's been awhile...]
> Sonic's Rec. Now was included on this box, and may have used that a couple
> of
> times, as well.
>
> Music CD's were more problematic - even when being sure there was plenty
> of
> room to spare. Data was better, but then often couldn't be read by the
> drive
> a month later! [Yet any CD-RW's burned are still readable.]
>
> The new external drive came with Sonic's "My DVD", which seems sort of
> cheesy - so I've used Rec. Now successfully to burn data onto DVD-R's. It
> also has DLA - which I'm not sure how to use - or why to...
>
> Anyway, I am still confused that a Box just over a year old would have
> this
> kind
> of difficulties - reading CD-R's. AND that the new drive seems to be
> 'seen'
> as just a DVD drive by the OS - not allowing CD's to be read, either!
>
> Did that clarify anything?
>
> El.

mark

This may help