comp. won't reconize cd rom drives

a while back i was tryin to see if there were any updates for my artec
dvd/cd-rw drive. i found an update but it was a firmware flash update and
since they had made the drives with 2 different chipsets i had to disconnect
my cd-rom drive to see which one i had. well after i restarted my computer it
was not reconizing the cd-rom drive basically as if it were never there. i
have tried to find drivers but the website only has a firmware flash driver
which i have tried to figure out but still have not done it becuz i do not
have any directory for the drive.

i have tried many things to get the comp to reconize it but i cannot figure
out how to get it to work again.

i have tried
unplugging and pluggin the drive back in
downloading the xp sp2 boot disk (that supposedly enables and has the info
for cd-rom support but still has not worked)
i have tried other cd-rom drives but my problem is that they are older
models and i cannot figure out which drivers they use or on some of them what
models they are.

if anyone could help i would be very gratful

"stile" <stile@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>a while back i was tryin to see if there were any updates for my artec
>dvd/cd-rw drive. i found an update but it was a firmware flash update and
>since they had made the drives with 2 different chipsets i had to disconnect
>my cd-rom drive to see which one i had. well after i restarted my computer it
>was not reconizing the cd-rom drive basically as if it were never there.

See "How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD
Discs" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321641) and "CD-ROM Access
Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, or Code
39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314060).

--
(tm)