I have a USB SD card reader connected to my Windows XP Pro (SP2) system.
When I Explore the SD card, the names of the files and folders on the card
all contain illegal file/folder characters (e.g., / \, etc.), I believe the
data on the card is corrupted.

Anyway, I would like to format the card and start again. So I right click
on the SD drive in My Computer, select Format, use the default settings but I
continue to get an error telling me that it can't format the card because
there are programs accessing the card, which I believe to be untrue. If I
try to Explore the card and delete the files/folders individually, I also get
an error message telling me I can't delete the file or folder.

Can anyone help me format and/or erase this SD card?

bar

Some cards have a write protect 'switch': is this true for your, if so change
the setting.

If this is for a Camera, then some of them use a unique format that allows
for PCs to read the files when using the manufacturers software but the card
cannot be manipulated as a 'removable' hard disk drive in explorer.

Check with the manufacturer for further troubleshooting tips.

"CalZon65" wrote:

> I have a USB SD card reader connected to my Windows XP Pro (SP2) system.
> When I Explore the SD card, the names of the files and folders on the card
> all contain illegal file/folder characters (e.g., / \, etc.), I believe the
> data on the card is corrupted.
>
> Anyway, I would like to format the card and start again. So I right click
> on the SD drive in My Computer, select Format, use the default settings but I
> continue to get an error telling me that it can't format the card because
> there are programs accessing the card, which I believe to be untrue. If I
> try to Explore the card and delete the files/folders individually, I also get
> an error message telling me I can't delete the file or folder.
>
> Can anyone help me format and/or erase this SD card?

I am beginning to suspect that there may be a bug in XP's handling of SD cards

My experience with SD cards used in a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC70 camera is
that 16Meg cards are readable in the SD slot on my HP 1350 all-in-one, but
128Mb cards are not, even when the total amount of data on the 128Mb card is
not greater than that which could be stored on the 16Mb card - attempts to
transfer the data cause Explorer to hang up, and only Task Manager will get
me out of it

Whilst I was nattering Digital Cameras with a friend recently, he asked me
if I knew of a solution to a problem he was having - he has a Casio camera
and uses a free standing USB card reader and, guess what, he can read 16Mb SD
cards but not 128Mb ones :-(

"CalZon65" <CalZon65@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I have a USB SD card reader connected to my Windows XP Pro (SP2) system.
| When I Explore the SD card, the names of the files and folders on the card
| all contain illegal file/folder characters (e.g., / \, etc.), I believe
the
| data on the card is corrupted.
|
| Anyway, I would like to format the card and start again. So I right click
| on the SD drive in My Computer, select Format, use the default settings
but I
| continue to get an error telling me that it can't format the card because
| there are programs accessing the card, which I believe to be untrue. If I
| try to Explore the card and delete the files/folders individually, I also
get
| an error message telling me I can't delete the file or folder.
|
| Can anyone help me format and/or erase this SD card?

Try using the format utility that came with the card reader. It should be on
the driver disk that came with it. If not, check the manufacturer's website
for a formatting utility.