Can't Format Corrupted SD Card

I have a USB SD card reader connected to my Windows XP Pro (SP2) system.
When I Explore the SD card, the names of the files and folders on the card
all contain illegal file/folder characters (e.g., / \, etc.), I believe the
data on the card is corrupted.

Anyway, I would like to format the card and start again. So I right click
on the SD drive in My Computer, select Format, use the default settings but I
continue to get an error telling me that it can't format the card because
there are programs accessing the card, which I believe to be untrue. If I
try to Explore the card and delete the files/folders individually, I also get
an error message telling me I can't delete the file or folder.

Can anyone help me format and/or erase this SD card?
3 answers Last reply
More about format corrupted card

    Some cards have a write protect 'switch': is this true for your, if so change
    the setting.

    If this is for a Camera, then some of them use a unique format that allows
    for PCs to read the files when using the manufacturers software but the card
    cannot be manipulated as a 'removable' hard disk drive in explorer.

    Check with the manufacturer for further troubleshooting tips.

    "CalZon65" wrote:

    > I have a USB SD card reader connected to my Windows XP Pro (SP2) system.
    > When I Explore the SD card, the names of the files and folders on the card
    > all contain illegal file/folder characters (e.g., / \, etc.), I believe the
    > data on the card is corrupted.
    >
    > Anyway, I would like to format the card and start again. So I right click
    > on the SD drive in My Computer, select Format, use the default settings but I
    > continue to get an error telling me that it can't format the card because
    > there are programs accessing the card, which I believe to be untrue. If I
    > try to Explore the card and delete the files/folders individually, I also get
    > an error message telling me I can't delete the file or folder.
    >
    > Can anyone help me format and/or erase this SD card?

    I am beginning to suspect that there may be a bug in XP's handling of SD cards

    My experience with SD cards used in a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC70 camera is
    that 16Meg cards are readable in the SD slot on my HP 1350 all-in-one, but
    128Mb cards are not, even when the total amount of data on the 128Mb card is
    not greater than that which could be stored on the 16Mb card - attempts to
    transfer the data cause Explorer to hang up, and only Task Manager will get
    me out of it

    Whilst I was nattering Digital Cameras with a friend recently, he asked me
    if I knew of a solution to a problem he was having - he has a Casio camera
    and uses a free standing USB card reader and, guess what, he can read 16Mb SD
    cards but not 128Mb ones :-(

    "CalZon65" <CalZon65@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I have a USB SD card reader connected to my Windows XP Pro (SP2) system.
    | When I Explore the SD card, the names of the files and folders on the card
    | all contain illegal file/folder characters (e.g., / \, etc.), I believe
    the
    | data on the card is corrupted.
    |
    | Anyway, I would like to format the card and start again. So I right click
    | on the SD drive in My Computer, select Format, use the default settings
    but I
    | continue to get an error telling me that it can't format the card because
    | there are programs accessing the card, which I believe to be untrue. If I
    | try to Explore the card and delete the files/folders individually, I also
    get
    | an error message telling me I can't delete the file or folder.
    |
    | Can anyone help me format and/or erase this SD card?

    Try using the format utility that came with the card reader. It should be on
    the driver disk that came with it. If not, check the manufacturer's website
    for a formatting utility.

SD Card SD Card Reader Format Windows XP