GA-8KNS Ultra 939 PATA RAID Configuration

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2005 2:42:04 PM

I have just recently upgraded to the GA-8KNS Ultra 939. At present I
havea Maxtor 80 GB HDD ATA 133. I work wit a lot of large files so my
HDD takes a lot of thrashing. I dont really want to spend a lot of
money so I thought I would add an additional 80 GB HDD and set it up
as RAID 0.

After spending the morning searching the forums and google I have come
up with almost no information. My questions are:

1) Does this board actually support PATA RAID?
2) Is the performance using the onboard ATA RAID really as dismal as
they say?
3) Can I just add the second HDD and set up the array within windows
using the Nvidia (Nraid) controller?
4) Or will I have to completely reformat my computer and install RAID
drivers on install?

Thanks for any and all help.

Regards,

Wad
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2005 2:42:05 PM

"Wad" <Wad@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I have just recently upgraded to the GA-8KNS Ultra 939. At present I
> havea Maxtor 80 GB HDD ATA 133. I work wit a lot of large files so my
> HDD takes a lot of thrashing. I dont really want to spend a lot of
> money so I thought I would add an additional 80 GB HDD and set it up
> as RAID 0.
>
> After spending the morning searching the forums and google I have come
> up with almost no information. My questions are:
>
> 1) Does this board actually support PATA RAID?
> 2) Is the performance using the onboard ATA RAID really as dismal as
> they say?
> 3) Can I just add the second HDD and set up the array within windows
> using the Nvidia (Nraid) controller?
> 4) Or will I have to completely reformat my computer and install RAID
> drivers on install?
>
> Thanks for any and all help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Wad

Apparently this is new function from Nvidia, and both the nf3 updates and
SiL package have to be installed. I'm not using this at the moment, just
have this stuff installed for the ports to work right. Frankly, I didn't
even realize you could use P-ATA drives in RAID let alone combine SATA and
PATA devices into the same RAID configuration. Nvidia says ya can.
McG. (proud n happy owner of k8ns Ultra 939 and x2 4800+!)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2005 9:50:39 PM

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 06:11:53 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>Apparently this is new function from Nvidia, and both the nf3 updates and
>SiL package have to be installed. I'm not using this at the moment, just
>have this stuff installed for the ports to work right. Frankly, I didn't
>even realize you could use P-ATA drives in RAID let alone combine SATA and
>PATA devices into the same RAID configuration. Nvidia says ya can.
>McG. (proud n happy owner of k8ns Ultra 939 and x2 4800+!)

And apparently the performance gain from using RAID 0 array for the
desktop user is negligible at best.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101&p=...

So Ive dropped the idea completely and just added a scond larger HDD.

Wad
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2005 9:50:40 PM

> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 06:11:53 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Apparently this is new function from Nvidia, and both the nf3 updates and
>>SiL package have to be installed. I'm not using this at the moment, just
>>have this stuff installed for the ports to work right. Frankly, I didn't
>>even realize you could use P-ATA drives in RAID let alone combine SATA and
>>PATA devices into the same RAID configuration. Nvidia says ya can.
>>McG. (proud n happy owner of k8ns Ultra 939 and x2 4800+!)
>>

> And apparently the performance gain from using RAID 0 array for the
> desktop user is negligible at best.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101&p=...
>

> So Ive dropped the idea completely and just added a scond larger HDD.
>
> Wad
That's the idea i got, reading a couple of other articles elsewhere. But
that one little article would have done it for me. I'll use my hd's in
normal non raid configs.
We'll benefit more from added storage space and using a good DVDRW to back
stuff up.
McG.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2005 9:50:41 PM

> "Wad" <Wad@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 06:11:53 GMT, "McGrandpa"
>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Apparently this is new function from Nvidia, and both the nf3 updates
>>>and
>>>SiL package have to be installed. I'm not using this at the moment,
>>>just
>>>have this stuff installed for the ports to work right. Frankly, I
>>>didn't
>>>even realize you could use P-ATA drives in RAID let alone combine SATA
>>>and
>>>PATA devices into the same RAID configuration. Nvidia says ya can.
>>>McG. (proud n happy owner of k8ns Ultra 939 and x2 4800+!)
>>>

>> And apparently the performance gain from using RAID 0 array for the
>> desktop user is negligible at best.
>>
>> http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101&p=...
>>

>> So Ive dropped the idea completely and just added a scond larger HDD.
>>
>> Wad
> That's the idea i got, reading a couple of other articles elsewhere.
> But that one little article would have done it for me. I'll use my
> hd's in normal non raid configs.
> We'll benefit more from added storage space and using a good DVDRW to
> back stuff up.
> McG.
The other much bigger gain from two seperate drives, rather than running
RAID0, is having your 'swap' space, on a different drive from the one you
are 'working' from. This massively reduces the wait involved when paging
takes place.
In terms of pure 'transfer speed', RAID0, gains quite a lot, _but_ because
the drives are not synchronised, and the way the drivers work, the
'latency' to fetch small amounts of data goes up. RAID0, is good if (for
instance), you want to do massive video grabbing, and have a seperate boot
drive carrying Windows, and the swap space, but if you use the RAID array
for your primary work/swap area, as much is normally lost from the latency
increase as the drives move to the swap area, as is gained from the faster
transfers. Adding a second larger HD, and moving the data files onto this,
is a better solution for many applications.

Best Wishes
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2005 1:01:39 AM

Wad wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 06:11:53 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Apparently this is new function from Nvidia, and both the nf3 updates and
>>SiL package have to be installed. I'm not using this at the moment, just
>>have this stuff installed for the ports to work right. Frankly, I didn't
>>even realize you could use P-ATA drives in RAID let alone combine SATA and
>>PATA devices into the same RAID configuration. Nvidia says ya can.
>>McG. (proud n happy owner of k8ns Ultra 939 and x2 4800+!)
>>

> And apparently the performance gain from using RAID 0 array for the
> desktop user is negligible at best.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101&p=...
>

> So Ive dropped the idea completely and just added a scond larger HDD.
>
> Wad
I would echo the moving of the swap file onto a drive separate from your
system files !!

Tis easily done but I would reccomend putting a small partition of 2 Gig
or so on the other HD and then setting up your swap file..device
manager-advanced-performance settings- advanced- virtual memory and the
rest is fairly straightforward !! you specify the location and size of
the swap file and also make sure you also tell it not to have one on the
c drive !!
good luck
!