Samsung CD/DVD rewriter problem

shooter

My Samsung CD/DVD rewriter was working fine until, I believe, the point at
which I downloaded Nero 6 updates and installed them. Now I am unable to read
my own burnt cd's written by the same nero software. For some reason it can
read manufacturers disc's, in my computer as well, but not my own burnt cd's.
Nothing wrong with the burnt cd's as they are fine on other PC. The DVD drive
will flash away for about 5 mins reading the cd's R, RW, then will stop.
While trying to load XP from my backed up copy of XP CD on the current now
empty hard drive, the DVD drive freezes the PC while trying to read the CD.
After having read the CD without success am unable to proceed. In DOS DVD
drive is "Not ready" for reading while trying to boot from i386 folder.

Any help would be appreciated.

Machine: AMD 64 3500, Maxtor SATA 200GB HDD, Samsung 16x CD/DVD Rewriter.

Thank you in advance

Nice system :)
This could be a result of driver confilicts. Nero has a list of tools
available for cleaning up before and after install and you could try
"registry checker and driver clean tool" but I suggest running "Nero 6 clean
tool" then download and install latest version of Nero. Also, if you have
Roxio installed you might uninstall it and see if that changes anything.

registry checker and driver clean tool
http://www.nero.com/us/Driver_Clean_Tool_and_RegistryChecker.html

Nero 6 clean tool
http://www.nero.com/us/Nero_6_Clean_Tool.html

Nero Support Form
http://www.nero.com/us/support.php

"Shooter" <Shooter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Samsung CD/DVD rewriter was working fine until, I believe, the point at
> which I downloaded Nero 6 updates and installed them. Now I am unable to
> read
> my own burnt cd's written by the same nero software. For some reason it
> can
> read manufacturers disc's, in my computer as well, but not my own burnt
> cd's.
> Nothing wrong with the burnt cd's as they are fine on other PC. The DVD
> drive
> will flash away for about 5 mins reading the cd's R, RW, then will stop.
> While trying to load XP from my backed up copy of XP CD on the current now
> empty hard drive, the DVD drive freezes the PC while trying to read the
> CD.
> After having read the CD without success am unable to proceed. In DOS DVD
> drive is "Not ready" for reading while trying to boot from i386 folder.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Machine: AMD 64 3500, Maxtor SATA 200GB HDD, Samsung 16x CD/DVD Rewriter.
>
> Thank you in advance

shooter

If my hard drive has been formated and the DVD rewriter is still acting up
and not reading copied CD's and hangs has described already, what could the
solution be to correct the problem of the DVD rewriter to perform correctly.

Many thanks

"Jon Erlandson" wrote:

> Nice system :)
> This could be a result of driver confilicts. Nero has a list of tools
> available for cleaning up before and after install and you could try
> "registry checker and driver clean tool" but I suggest running "Nero 6 clean
> tool" then download and install latest version of Nero. Also, if you have
> Roxio installed you might uninstall it and see if that changes anything.
>
> registry checker and driver clean tool
> http://www.nero.com/us/Driver_Clean_Tool_and_RegistryChecker.html
>
> Nero 6 clean tool
> http://www.nero.com/us/Nero_6_Clean_Tool.html
>
> Nero Support Form
> http://www.nero.com/us/support.php
>

> "Shooter" <Shooter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My Samsung CD/DVD rewriter was working fine until, I believe, the point at
> > which I downloaded Nero 6 updates and installed them. Now I am unable to
> > read
> > my own burnt cd's written by the same nero software. For some reason it
> > can
> > read manufacturers disc's, in my computer as well, but not my own burnt
> > cd's.
> > Nothing wrong with the burnt cd's as they are fine on other PC. The DVD
> > drive
> > will flash away for about 5 mins reading the cd's R, RW, then will stop.
> > While trying to load XP from my backed up copy of XP CD on the current now
> > empty hard drive, the DVD drive freezes the PC while trying to read the
> > CD.
> > After having read the CD without success am unable to proceed. In DOS DVD
> > drive is "Not ready" for reading while trying to boot from i386 folder.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Machine: AMD 64 3500, Maxtor SATA 200GB HDD, Samsung 16x CD/DVD Rewriter.
> >
> > Thank you in advance

I see... you've reformated the hard drive and now need to reinstall XP but
don't have a working optical drive. You might first check the IDE and power
cables to ensure they have a good connection. It's not a bad idea to remove
them completely then plug them back in. Follow the IDE cable back to the
motherboard and move it over to another channel if possible - replacing the
cable isn't a bad idea if you have another and you should probably swap the
power cables too. Do all work inside the case with the power off to the
computer (turn off your power strip) but leave it plugged in for grounding.
When you finish inside, turn on your computer and check the BIOS setting to
see that the DVD is being recognized then exit BIOS and see if it can now
read. If this fails then likely it's a hardware issue and you might remove
the drive and install it in another system to test.

Troubleshooting CD-ROM, CD-RW, and DVD-ROM drive issues
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=psg1MIGR-4Y67L9&loc=en_US

> If my hard drive has been formated and the DVD rewriter is still acting up
> and not reading copied CD's and hangs has described already, what could
> the
> solution be to correct the problem of the DVD rewriter to perform
> correctly.
>
> Many thanks
>
> "Jon Erlandson" wrote:
>
>> Nice system :)
>> This could be a result of driver confilicts. Nero has a list of tools
>> available for cleaning up before and after install and you could try
>> "registry checker and driver clean tool" but I suggest running "Nero 6
>> clean
>> tool" then download and install latest version of Nero. Also, if you
>> have
>> Roxio installed you might uninstall it and see if that changes anything.
>>
>> registry checker and driver clean tool
>> http://www.nero.com/us/Driver_Clean_Tool_and_RegistryChecker.html
>>
>> Nero 6 clean tool
>> http://www.nero.com/us/Nero_6_Clean_Tool.html
>>
>> Nero Support Form
>> http://www.nero.com/us/support.php
>>

>> "Shooter" <Shooter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My Samsung CD/DVD rewriter was working fine until, I believe, the point
>> > at
>> > which I downloaded Nero 6 updates and installed them. Now I am unable
>> > read
>> > my own burnt cd's written by the same nero software. For some reason it
>> > can
>> > read manufacturers disc's, in my computer as well, but not my own burnt
>> > cd's.
>> > Nothing wrong with the burnt cd's as they are fine on other PC. The DVD
>> > drive
>> > will flash away for about 5 mins reading the cd's R, RW, then will
>> > stop.
>> > While trying to load XP from my backed up copy of XP CD on the current
>> > now
>> > empty hard drive, the DVD drive freezes the PC while trying to read the
>> > CD.
>> > After having read the CD without success am unable to proceed. In DOS
>> > DVD
>> > drive is "Not ready" for reading while trying to boot from i386 folder.
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Machine: AMD 64 3500, Maxtor SATA 200GB HDD, Samsung 16x CD/DVD
>> > Rewriter.
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance

shooter

The DVDROM does work all cables fine but the system or DVDrom does not read
the Disc properly, it moves onto the next CDROM drive which I have inserted
just to get XP installed. XP disc is read on this cdrom drive. I load SATA
driver. After a message "windows is now starting" appears an error message
"Stop: c0000221 unknown hard error
\systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll" appears and am unable to progress. Even
I am at a complete loss and frustrated as hell with it.

Please help

Thanks

"Jon Erlandson" wrote:

> I see... you've reformated the hard drive and now need to reinstall XP but
> don't have a working optical drive. You might first check the IDE and power
> cables to ens they have a good connection. It's not a bad idea to remove
> them completely then plug them back in. Follow the IDE cable back to the
> motherboard and move it over to another channel if possible - replacing the
> cable isn't a bad idea if you have another and you should probably swap the
> power cables too. Do all work inside the case with the power off to the
> computer (turn off your power strip) but leave it plugged in for grounding.
> When you finish inside, turn on your computer and check the BIOS setting to
> see that the DVD is being recognized then exit BIOS and see if it can now
> read. If this fails then likely it's a hardware issue and you might remove
> the drive and install it in another system to test.
>
> Troubleshooting CD-ROM, CD-RW, and DVD-ROM drive issues
> http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=psg1MIGR-4Y67L9&loc=en_US
>

> "Shooter" <Shooter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If my hard drive has been formated and the DVD rewriter is still acting up
> > and not reading copied CD's and hangs has described already, what could
> > the
> > solution be to correct the problem of the DVD rewriter to perform
> > correctly.
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > "Jon Erlandson" wrote:
> >
> >> Nice system :)
> >> This could be a result of driver confilicts. Nero has a list of tools
> >> available for cleaning up before and after install and you could try
> >> "registry checker and driver clean tool" but I suggest running "Nero 6
> >> clean
> >> tool" then download and install latest version of Nero. Also, if you
> >> have
> >> Roxio installed you might uninstall it and see if that changes anything.
> >>
> >> registry checker and driver clean tool
> >> http://www.nero.com/us/Driver_Clean_Tool_and_RegistryChecker.html
> >>
> >> Nero 6 clean tool
> >> http://www.nero.com/us/Nero_6_Clean_Tool.html
> >>
> >> Nero Support Form
> >> http://www.nero.com/us/support.php
> >>

> >> "Shooter" <Shooter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

You may need to manully load the SATA driver during Setup.

http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/000867.html

STOP: C0000221 unknown hard error" message occurs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314474

How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;321641