Emulation of Jamma Multicade pcbs?

have they emulated the multigame pcbs yet(Multicade or others)? if not,
can/will they be soon?

Kelly Ray wrote:

> have they emulated the multigame pcbs yet(Multicade or others)? if
> not, can/will they be soon?

I think you'll find it's extremely unlikely that these will ever see a
release in MAME.

*AFAIK* the Multicade is an FPGA implementation of the original arcade
hardware. So you're talking about software emulation of a hardware
emulation of an original game that is already emulated in MAME. So
what's the point? And the multi-game stuff is a big hack which is of no
interest to MAME devs...

Regards,
Mark

well i thought i would ask, because they "emued" the Namco Classics #1!
there had to be a reason for that, right? i like multigames because you
don't need the front end hassle!

that's another one...will they do the other Namco Classics(2 or 3 i
believe)?

Kelly

"Mark McDougall" <markm@vl.com.au> wrote in message
> Kelly Ray wrote:
>
>> have they emulated the multigame pcbs yet(Multicade or others)? if
>> not, can/will they be soon?
>
> I think you'll find it's extremely unlikely that these will ever see a
> release in MAME.
>
> *AFAIK* the Multicade is an FPGA implementation of the original arcade
> hardware. So you're talking about software emulation of a hardware
> emulation of an original game that is already emulated in MAME. So what's
> the point? And the multi-game stuff is a big hack which is of no interest
> to MAME devs...
>
> Regards,
> Mark

"Mark McDougall" <markm@vl.com.au> wrote in message
> Kelly Ray wrote:
>
> > have they emulated the multigame pcbs yet(Multicade or others)? if
> > not, can/will they be soon?
>
> I think you'll find it's extremely unlikely that these will ever see a
> release in MAME.
>
> *AFAIK* the Multicade is an FPGA implementation of the original arcade
> hardware. So you're talking about software emulation of a hardware
> emulation of an original game that is already emulated in MAME. So
> what's the point? And the multi-game stuff is a big hack which is of no
> interest to MAME devs...

It's a cheap single board computer running mame or equivalent. It would be
way to much work to implement all those games in fpga. So the answer is
definitely no. It will be a very long time before mame emulates itself.
Not to mention as you say it's a bootleg that adds nothing to the game and
so is of no interest.

---

Kelly Ray wrote:

> well i thought i would ask, because they "emued" the Namco Classics #1!
> there had to be a reason for that, right? i like multigames because you
> don't need the front end hassle!

That's because NCV1 is an 'official' release by Namco, rather than a hack by
a third party. Also, the games themselves aren't emulations, but rather
ports to the 68K. It also offers updated 'arrangement' versions of each game.

Funny you choose to bring that particular game up (check the driver author) ;)

> that's another one...will they do the other Namco Classics(2 or 3 i
> believe)?

Yes, Vol#2. Last I knew there was a cuskey (protection) issue with the Vol2
games. According to the link provided in this thread, there's a cheat 'fix'
to get around the problem.

Regards,

--
| Mark McDougall | "Electrical Engineers do it
| <http://members.iinet.net.au/~msmcdoug> | with less resistance!"

i have NCV1 but not #2 in my .90 romset! is there a reason why that happens
or do i have to use the latest version(.86)? when i pull up game it says
..62 version though??? i am confused!

maws site is for all info for each game Mame supports/doesn't support or
having issues, correct?

i am trying to understand what half of this stuff means so please bare with
me, thanks!

Kelly

D Widel wrote:

> It's a cheap single board computer running mame or equivalent. It would
> be way to much work to implement all those games in fpga. So the answer
> is definitely no. It will be a very long time before mame emulates
> itself. Not to mention as you say it's a bootleg that adds nothing to the
> game and so is of no interest.

Are you *sure* about that? I can't tell from the lores photos on the net but
would be interested in hearing from someone who has one - better yet a
close-up hires photo would be nice!

The games in question have a lot of hardware in common. It wouldn't be *way
too much* work to implement a good dozen or so similar games, especially of
that vintage. A case in point...
<http://members.iinet.net.au/~msmcdoug/pace/Nanoboard/nanoboard.html>

If it were a high-performance software emulator on low-end PC SBC hardware
then I would expect to see more games coming out faster - particularly since
it's almost trivial to add extra games or clones to existing drivers. Can
sometimes be a little more work in an PFGA though...

Anyway, all pure speculation at this point!
Regards,

--

Kelly Ray wrote:

> i have NCV1 but not #2 in my .90 romset! is there a reason why that
> happens or do i have to use the latest version(.86)? when i pull up game
> it says .62 version though??? i am confused!

I just ran v0.88 (it's the latest I have) and I can play NCV2. Not sure why
your romset doesn't have it?!?

Regards,