Diablo 3 Auction House Delayed, Says Blizzard

Status
Not open for further replies.

yialanliu

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
I always thought Blizzard was a company that doesn't rush things... Feels like skyrim, good game, but needs a month to be fully playable with all the features.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
i swear you repeated this news already in one of your diablo 3 news. i'm still waiting to see steam fanboy to act up for not having it on STEAM and have it their way DRM.

as for DRM issue at hand. All major games getting it. The way i see to solve this issue. Is when a legit user installs a copy, send a download file to activate it or have a one time internet connect that periodicity checks your running a legit copy instead of having internet all the time connected to their server.

sergiu_spk

Honorable
May 18, 2012
@kcorp2003: Well, you're probably not a programer. If you where you would know that there's no way to fully protect a piece of software other than not publishing it :)
With Diablo 3 they are the closest you can get to "not publishing" it.
The only way people could pirate this now is by creating their own server, just like they did with WOW.
Doing that requires a lot of reverse engineering. I'm convinced someone is already doing that...

whitey_rolls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
To me this isn't really a big deal. At this point everyone is essentially 'levelling' and there wouldn't be much worth buying on the AH now anyway.

hellowthar

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
What people don't realise is that Diablo 2 was quickly ruined by botters. Since Diablo 3 requires an internet connection to play, Blizzard can more easily monitor if anyone uses a bot. Simple logic really.

blakphoenix

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I don't hold anything against Blizzard for how they've dealt with this, they've done much better than I ever could and the game itself is very fun once you get past the bugs. :)

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
It's amazing to me that people do realize the primary reason that the game is online only is so that client computers did not have server code to reverse engineer. If everyone has access to the binaries that the are required to run the server, then it's simply a matter of time before someone finds a way to exploit a server weakness; this is why Diablo2 eventually fell victim to so many duping problems, despite Blizzards best efforts.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]whitey_rolls[/nom]To me this isn't really a big deal. At this point everyone is essentially 'levelling' and there wouldn't be much worth buying on the AH now anyway.[/citation]

The leveling grind is when things should be a lot easier to sell. If my level 30 is able to easily farm items your level 10 can use to get to level 30 faster then I have a customer.

roalith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Losing faith in Toms...You can equip a shield both on yourself and your companion with no problem without getting error'd out or crashing. You just cannot directly take the equipment from your own equipment slot to your companions, it has to come from your stash or inventory, not your own equipped item. Also, Blizzard has been getting hammered and hassled about the SMS Protect system that is required to sell money for Paypal.

This is a great game with people only focusing on negative aspects, not praising the fact that it is amazing, especially at Hell difficulty, and already insanely difficult and fun at 60 in Inferno.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]sergiu_spk[/nom]@kcorp2003: Well, you're probably not a programer. If you where you would know that there's no way to fully protect a piece of software other than not publishing it With Diablo 3 they are the closest you can get to "not publishing" it.The only way people could pirate this now is by creating their own server, just like they did with WOW.Doing that requires a lot of reverse engineering. I'm convinced someone is already doing that...[/citation]
The thing here is, WoW style dependence on the server requires a lot of server resources.
And I doubt, that "anti piracy" benefit in the end would outweight money wasted on support infrastructure.

I also wonder, for how long would it last. You'd be able to play D1/D2 no matter what, with D3 it won't be possible.

The same style DRM was actually tried with Assasin's Creed, by the way, without much success. Legit users were annoyed and trashed game rating, hackers managed to download missing pieces and create a patch.

kungtwo

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I and many others are still having a problem with getting disconnected. In single player I get disconnected as soon as 1 min into play. Occasionally I get a lucky 12 min or so. The "fix" is to log onto General chat, which has helped. I've gone as long as 40 min without a DC. The chat is annoying and sometimes distasteful. Yea, I know its a game about fighting the devil.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i have a question... did people play diablo 2 just for pvp... because its brought up every time, and i can say i have never played pvp ever in a pve rpg

pvp balanceing would have required the game shelved for another 6+months

lets also say those 6 months, the buggs currently in game would STILL BE IN GAME
most of what they are finding is specific things that can only really be caught with large scale testing

and as for the servers, they are basiccly experianceing a manual ddos... nothing could have prepared them for that... NOTHING... the moment that the game loses the new game must play naow and hits the regular groove, you will get server crap.

they could have prevented this by makeing single player single palyer, but that would mean you may be able to hack the online mode easier.

now as to the real auction house... this crap happens reguardless, they want a cut of it and make it safe for the players, i heard some items in D2 went for over 600$, instead of out right ban, they take a cut.

and as for the auction house not being on, im betting it has to do with the release week insanity.

can we not judge the game till a month after release whe it hits a lull

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]*SNIP* I doubt, that "anti piracy" benefit in the end would outweight money wasted on support infrastructure.[/citation]

I think most of us can agree that the piracy stopping is not the main benefit to Blizzard. Real money auctions is where they will have a significant gain from the extra hardware and infrastructure invested. Those auctions require a highly controlled (cheat-free) environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.