Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cheap backup server?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 6:30:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use as server to run the
External 250 GB HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs running XP.
I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC I
use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.

What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device that
will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN to my
External USB HD backup?

I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD and
it doesnt have that.

Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

More about : cheap backup server

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 5:45:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

$80 - $100
Linksys manufactures a "Network Storage Link for USB 2.0 Disk Drives"
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=35&sci...

Hacking the Linksys NSLU2
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php



"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o UXGd.11661$Tf5.618@lakeread03...
>I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use as server to run the
>External 250 GB HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs running XP.
> I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC I
> use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
>
> What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device that
> will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN to
> my External USB HD backup?
>
> I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD
> and it doesnt have that.
>
> Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
>
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 9:24:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

thanks. when reading the reviews on the Linksys it doesnt do well.
Problems stated were:
locks up frequently
wont power itself up power loss.
Uses proprietary disk format.
Have to lose any data on disk to format.
also then cant just hook disk up to PC anymore to get data off it cus of
different format.
wont format over a 80g HD.
Major problem then also is cant save images of disk for backup for complete
disk restore.
Seems about 50% were thumbs down....CNET etc.

Doesnt sound like its ready for prime time . What do you think?
"Jon Erlandson" <jerlands@NOSPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:%239KIhoT$EHA.2192@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> $80 - $100
> Linksys manufactures a "Network Storage Link for USB 2.0 Disk Drives"
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=35&sci...
>
> Hacking the Linksys NSLU2
> http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php
>
>
>
> "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o UXGd.11661$Tf5.618@lakeread03...
>>I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use as server to run the
>>External 250 GB HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs running XP.
>> I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC
>> I use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
>>
>> What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device
>> that will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT)
>> LAN to my External USB HD backup?
>>
>> I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD
>> and it doesnt have that.
>>
>> Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>
>
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 1:54:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I don't know :)  tomshardware formated a 160g drive and the review there and
on newegg were positive. I don't think you can mirror the drive but the
article claims it does full backups... anyway, at $80 it's inexpensive :) 



"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:wxjHd.11888$Tf5.10323@lakeread03...
> thanks. when reading the reviews on the Linksys it doesnt do well.
> Problems stated were:
> locks up frequently
> wont power itself up power loss.
> Uses proprietary disk format.
> Have to lose any data on disk to format.
> also then cant just hook disk up to PC anymore to get data off it cus of
> different format.
> wont format over a 80g HD.
> Major problem then also is cant save images of disk for backup for
> complete disk restore.
> Seems about 50% were thumbs down....CNET etc.
>
> Doesnt sound like its ready for prime time . What do you think?
> "Jon Erlandson" <jerlands@NOSPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:%239KIhoT$EHA.2192@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> $80 - $100
>> Linksys manufactures a "Network Storage Link for USB 2.0 Disk Drives"
>> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=35&sci...
>>
>> Hacking the Linksys NSLU2
>> http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php
>>
>>
>>
>> "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:o UXGd.11661$Tf5.618@lakeread03...
>>>I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use as server to run the
>>>External 250 GB HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs running XP.
>>> I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC
>>> I use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
>>>
>>> What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device
>>> that will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT)
>>> LAN to my External USB HD backup?
>>>
>>> I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD
>>> and it doesnt have that.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
!