PC won't boot after USB card installed in GA-8IHXP

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2005 4:21:38 AM

I was running out of USB ports, so I bought an HP USB 5-port PCI card
recently, but after installing it the machine wouldn't boot from any
device - all drives recognized after the POST sequence, but it wouldn't go
into the Windows boot. The board looked poorly made - too much gold on the
connectors, and it looked like two of them were shorted, so I took it back
and got a refund.
I then bought a Belkin 5-port ditto, and installed it, but got the same
results.
Anyone have any ideas why this would happen? There's a single beep at the
point where the OS boot should be starting, but that happens whether or not
the machine actually boots. No other beeps or diagnostics that I don't get
when the board isn't installed.
I've tried moving cards around to different slots, but it makes no
difference.
Specs:
Gigabyte GA-8IHXP 2.1 motherboard
Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz
1GB Rambus RDRAM (2x512)
60, 60 and 200GB Seagate 7200 ATA 133 drives
Toshiba DVD-ROM, Lite-On CD-RW and DVD-RW drives
ATI Radeon 7500 64MB video card
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI sound card
US Robotics voice/fax/modem
Antec Plus 1080 AMG case and power supply
Win XP Pro, SP2

(cross-posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2005 5:18:45 PM

David de Jongh wrote:
> I was running out of USB ports, so I bought an HP USB 5-port PCI card
> recently, but after installing it the machine wouldn't boot from any
> device - all drives recognized after the POST sequence, but it
> wouldn't go into the Windows boot. The board looked poorly made -
> too much gold on the connectors, and it looked like two of them were
> shorted, so I took it back and got a refund.
> I then bought a Belkin 5-port ditto, and installed it, but got the
> same results.
> Anyone have any ideas why this would happen? There's a single beep
> at the point where the OS boot should be starting, but that happens
> whether or not the machine actually boots. No other beeps or
> diagnostics that I don't get when the board isn't installed.
> I've tried moving cards around to different slots, but it makes no
> difference.
> Specs:
> Gigabyte GA-8IHXP 2.1 motherboard
> Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz
> 1GB Rambus RDRAM (2x512)
> 60, 60 and 200GB Seagate 7200 ATA 133 drives
> Toshiba DVD-ROM, Lite-On CD-RW and DVD-RW drives
> ATI Radeon 7500 64MB video card
> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI sound card
> US Robotics voice/fax/modem
> Antec Plus 1080 AMG case and power supply
> Win XP Pro, SP2
>

> (cross-posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt)

Hi David
With the card note the chipset return the card and exchange it for
another with a different brand chipset.
Have seen this happen with a few boards and usally a different brand
chipset should fix the issue.

Denis
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2005 5:18:46 PM

Thanks Denis. It looks like the HP board is identical to the one branded by
Belkin. Both use the NEC chipset. I'll see if Newegg has something
different.

Funny thing, I gave away one of the original USB connectors with another
GA-8IHXP board I sold on eBay (it's a long story) so I only had one, and on
that one only two of the ports worked. I noticed today that they were
plugged into connectors 3 and 4, so I switched them to 1 and 2, and I now
have all four ports working, plus the two on the motherboard edge, so I'm
saved until I get another USB device.

D de J

"Denis Fitzgibbon" <denis@iinet.com.au> wrote in message
> David de Jongh wrote:
>> I was running out of USB ports, so I bought an HP USB 5-port PCI card
>> recently, but after installing it the machine wouldn't boot from any
>> device - all drives recognized after the POST sequence, but it
>> wouldn't go into the Windows boot. The board looked poorly made -
>> too much gold on the connectors, and it looked like two of them were
>> shorted, so I took it back and got a refund.
>> I then bought a Belkin 5-port ditto, and installed it, but got the
>> same results.
>> Anyone have any ideas why this would happen? There's a single beep
>> at the point where the OS boot should be starting, but that happens
>> whether or not the machine actually boots. No other beeps or
>> diagnostics that I don't get when the board isn't installed.
>> I've tried moving cards around to different slots, but it makes no
>> difference.
>> Specs:
>> Gigabyte GA-8IHXP 2.1 motherboard
>> Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz
>> 1GB Rambus RDRAM (2x512)
>> 60, 60 and 200GB Seagate 7200 ATA 133 drives
>> Toshiba DVD-ROM, Lite-On CD-RW and DVD-RW drives
>> ATI Radeon 7500 64MB video card
>> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI sound card
>> US Robotics voice/fax/modem
>> Antec Plus 1080 AMG case and power supply
>> Win XP Pro, SP2
>>

>> (cross-posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt)
>
> Hi David
> With the card note the chipset return the card and exchange it for
> another with a different brand chipset.
> Have seen this happen with a few boards and usally a different brand
> chipset should fix the issue.
>
> Denis

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2005 11:07:53 PM

David de Jongh wrote:
> Funny thing, I gave away one of the original USB connectors with
> another GA-8IHXP board I sold on eBay (it's a long story) so I only
> had one, and on that one only two of the ports worked. I noticed
> today that they were plugged into connectors 3 and 4, so I switched
> them to 1 and 2, and I now have all four ports working, plus the two
> on the motherboard edge, so I'm saved until I get another USB device.

Why not use a USB hub?
!