Closed

Winrar Benchmark Slow in Windows 7 x64 compared to XP x86, Why? Help..

Hi guys, this is my first post here.
I purchased a new system just 2 months before, and installed Windows XP x86 and Windows 7 x64 as Dual boot. I was told elsewhere to see how my system is running by doing the Benchmark score in WinRar. So I ran it, ver 3.93, and in XP x86 the score came between 4100-4200, but while doing the same in Win 7 x64 I am getting 2800-2900! Now, may I know what is the problem?
Thanks in advance.

Here is my system,
Core i7 950 (No OC)- ASUS Sabertooth- 2*2 GB Corsair 1600- XFX 9800GT 512MB- 500 GB Seagate- Corsair TX650

Regards,
Saurav
10 answers Last reply
More about winrar benchmark slow windows compared help
  1. did you use the 64-bit version or 32-bit version under Windows 7
  2. The 64 bit version. Although there is no difference between the results of 32 bit or 64 bit.
  3. No idea anyone?
  4. why do you only have dual channel ram? for one...

disk caching?
  5. Thanks for replying sir, but I am afraid that I am not an expert in this stuff.
    Dual Channel RAM? Do you mean 2*2 = 4Gb of RAM? If yes then I can tell you I went for 4GB RAM coz I thought it would be enough. Do you saying that Winrar bench is slow for Dual Channel RAM? (Please have a look at my XP score also)
    and Can you please explain Disk caching? I don't know how to see that.
  6. Check Windows 7 power saving mode, try putting it in high performance. Also open the task manager and make sure your CPU usage is > 5% before you start the Winrar benchmark, if other processes are using the CPU it will lower the benchmark results.

My E6750 (dual core) @ 3.52 get about 1,500. An E7400 @ 4.07 scores about 1,300.
    The 6750 has more cache and a higher FSB and RAM to help it.
    I have never seen people compare Windows 7 Benchmarks of Winrar.
  7. Well I was suggested by a friend of mine and after my score he said something is wrong, that's why I am kinda worried.
    Anyway, I selected 'High Performance' and did the test but the score remain unchanged.
  8. I think I now know what's the issue. I was looking at the CPU usage while running the benchmark (on my KB Lcd) and it was using max 42-45% of CPU and RAM- 30% in Win 7 x64, but in XP x86 it was 65-72% CPU and RAM- 21%. So the Winrar benchmark in Win 7 isn't effecting the CPU usage like in XP! I think it's a bug of Winrar maybe.
  9. BUMP!
  10. Quote:
    Don't...
    * Bump posts, claim "first!"

Source.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 x86 X64 Windows XP