USB - digital camera problem

Dear all,

I have the following problem. When I attach my new digital camera (olympus
D-580 Zoom) to my pc (USB), I briefly see the 'found new hardware' box in
the bottom right corner of my task bar, but then my pc immediately crashes
and reboots. Other devices (printer, webcam) cause no problem on the same
USB ports.

In the device manager, I see no device conflicts. I do however see 'usb root
hub' and 'USB VIA host controller' twice, but windows says all is
functioning correctly. Maybe this duplicate has something to do with my
prob?

conf: winXP, 500Mb Ram, 20Gb harddisk free, P4, ...

best,
duke
3 answers Last reply
More about digital camera problem

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:12:55 +0100, Elvis Castello wrote:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have the following problem. When I attach my new digital camera (olympus
    > D-580 Zoom) to my pc (USB), I briefly see the 'found new hardware' box in
    > the bottom right corner of my task bar, but then my pc immediately crashes
    > and reboots. Other devices (printer, webcam) cause no problem on the same
    > USB ports.
    >
    > In the device manager, I see no device conflicts. I do however see 'usb root
    > hub' and 'USB VIA host controller' twice, but windows says all is
    > functioning correctly. Maybe this duplicate has something to do with my
    > prob?
    >
    > conf: winXP, 500Mb Ram, 20Gb harddisk free, P4, ...
    >
    > best,
    > duke

    Not an answer to your question but a thought. I have the older D520 Zoom.
    Instead of attaching the camera, I use a card reader (remove card from
    camera, insert in reader). I find it easier to work with the images this
    way than using Scanner/Camera interface or the interface provided by
    Olympus.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    "Elvis Castello" <wouter.duyck@UGent.be> wrote in message
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have the following problem. When I attach my new digital camera (olympus
    > D-580 Zoom) to my pc (USB), I briefly see the 'found new hardware' box in
    > the bottom right corner of my task bar, but then my pc immediately crashes
    > and reboots. Other devices (printer, webcam) cause no problem on the same
    > USB ports.
    >
    > In the device manager, I see no device conflicts. I do however see 'usb
    root
    > hub' and 'USB VIA host controller' twice, but windows says all is
    > functioning correctly. Maybe this duplicate has something to do with my
    > prob?
    >
    > conf: winXP, 500Mb Ram, 20Gb harddisk free, P4, ...
    >
    > best,
    > duke

    First, turn off the "automatically restart on system failure" setting so you
    can see whatever error messages come up.

    Right-click on My Computer, choose Properties, then Advanced. Choose
    Settings under Startup and recovery. In the System failure section,
    de-select "automatically restart".

    Choose OK back to the desktop. Now, plug in your camera again and see what
    clues you can get from the error messages.

    HTH
    -pk

    "Elvis Castello" <wouter.duyck@UGent.be> wrote in message
    | Dear all,
    |
    | I have the following problem. When I attach my new digital camera (olympus
    | D-580 Zoom) to my pc (USB), I briefly see the 'found new hardware' box in
    | the bottom right corner of my task bar, but then my pc immediately crashes
    | and reboots. Other devices (printer, webcam) cause no problem on the same
    | USB ports.
    |
    | In the device manager, I see no device conflicts. I do however see 'usb
    root
    | hub' and 'USB VIA host controller' twice, but windows says all is
    | functioning correctly. Maybe this duplicate has something to do with my
    | prob?
    |
    | conf: winXP, 500Mb Ram, 20Gb harddisk free, P4, ...
    |
    | best,
    | duke

    In addition to the good information from Sharon and Test User (I especially
    agree with the card reader advice), make sure the camera is not turned on
    when you connect it to the USB port. Connect it, then turn it on.

Hardware Cameras USB Windows XP