net use command, a DOS application, and a USB printer

null

Someone has asked me how to print from a DOS application to a printer.
Normally, I'd use the Net Use command to create an LPT1 connection to
the printer, but the PC has no parallel ports. He has tried a USB to
Parallel port converter, but we don't know how to send the print jobs to
a USB port from a DOS application.

This fellow has contacted Dell (the manufacturer) for some low-profile
LPT cards, and he was going to use the USB to Parallel port converter to
connect and both times they sent him cards that were not suitable for
the PC. I suggested that he try checking out some 3rd-party vendors instead.

However, my curiosity is aroused, and I was wondering if anyone here
knew of any way to send DOS print jobs to a USB port.

TIA

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.

I know of a software type package that you can use. Print to File can be
set up so that the DOS application prints to a spooler file and XP will be
monitoring the directory for any print file. Once the spooler file is
found, the application will then send it to the USB (or Networked printer)