Mouse connections

I have a logitech optical mouse with a USB connection, (this came supplied
with a new system). I want to free up the USB port and connect the mouse to
the PS/2 one.
I have a convertor USB-PS/2, but on replugging, the mouse does not work or
light up. Before I spend too much time on this, can this work?, do I need to
change any settings etc?, or buy a new mouse!.
Logitech site says my mouse can be used on either connection, but as I'm new
to XP, may be something I need to do?.
Grateful for any help, many thanks.

First, in order to get a PS/2 mouse to work, you need to reboot the PC and
access the BIOS so as to see if the PS/2 mouse port is enabled. Then,
shutdown the PC and power it off. Move the mouse to the PS/2 port (green
one) and power on the PC. XP should re-detect a mouse and install it
correctly.

If it is still not working, then the USB to PS/2 adapter is defective or not
compatible with that mouse. You have two options:

1) Buy a new mouse (one with PS/2 connection)

or

2) Buy a USB hub (gives you more than one USB port).

"GBW" <GBW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a logitech optical mouse with a USB connection, (this came supplied
> with a new system). I want to free up the USB port and connect the mouse
> the PS/2 one.
> I have a convertor USB-PS/2, but on replugging, the mouse does not work or
> light up. Before I spend too much time on this, can this work?, do I need
> change any settings etc?, or buy a new mouse!.
> Logitech site says my mouse can be used on either connection, but as I'm
> new
> to XP, may be something I need to do?.
> Grateful for any help, many thanks.

Thanks for that, I will give it a try.
Regards
Graham

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> First, in order to get a PS/2 mouse to work, you need to reboot the PC and
> access the BIOS so as to see if the PS/2 mouse port is enabled. Then,
> shutdown the PC and power it off. Move the mouse to the PS/2 port (green
> one) and power on the PC. XP should re-detect a mouse and install it
> correctly.
>
> If it is still not working, then the USB to PS/2 adapter is defective or not
> compatible with that mouse. You have two options:
>
> 1) Buy a new mouse (one with PS/2 connection)
>
> or
>
> 2) Buy a USB hub (gives you more than one USB port).
>

> "GBW" <GBW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a logitech optical mouse with a USB connection, (this came supplied
> > with a new system). I want to free up the USB port and connect the mouse
> > the PS/2 one.
> > I have a convertor USB-PS/2, but on replugging, the mouse does not work or
> > light up. Before I spend too much time on this, can this work?, do I need
> > change any settings etc?, or buy a new mouse!.
> > Logitech site says my mouse can be used on either connection, but as I'm
> > new
> > to XP, may be something I need to do?.
> > Grateful for any help, many thanks.

I have the Logitech Optical/Wheel mouse. When used as a USB mouse it is
'hot' pluggable. If I unplug it from the USB port and plug it into the
PS/2 mouse port using the USB/PS2 converter, then I have to reboot. It
is not 'hot' pluggable in the PS/2 port. I believe this is normal. Did
you try rebooting?

Good luck!
"GBW" <GBW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a logitech optical mouse with a USB connection, (this came
>supplied
> with a new system). I want to free up the USB port and connect the
> mouse to
> the PS/2 one.
> I have a convertor USB-PS/2, but on replugging, the mouse does not
> work or
> light up. Before I spend too much time on this, can this work?, do I
> need to
> change any settings etc?, or buy a new mouse!.
> Logitech site says my mouse can be used on either connection, but as
> I'm new
> to XP, may be something I need to do?.
> Grateful for any help, many thanks.

Yes, I did reboot on initial replugging, but the mouse was still dead.
Did not realise it was 'hot' pluggable on USB, but will try the process again.
I also will try the other suggestion of checking whether the PS/2 port is
enabled in the bios, this may be the case as the system was supplied to me as
'setup' and ready to run but with the mouse connected to the USB port.

Thanks, will report back.

"Jack Gillis" wrote:

> I have the Logitech Optical/Wheel mouse. When used as a USB mouse it is
> 'hot' pluggable. If I unplug it from the USB port and plug it into the
> PS/2 mouse port using the USB/PS2 converter, then I have to reboot. It
> is not 'hot' pluggable in the PS/2 port. I believe this is normal. Did
> you try rebooting?
>
> Good luck!
> "GBW" <GBW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a logitech optical mouse with a USB connection, (this came
> >supplied
> > with a new system). I want to free up the USB port and connect the
> > mouse to
> > the PS/2 one.
> > I have a convertor USB-PS/2, but on replugging, the mouse does not
> > work or
> > light up. Before I spend too much time on this, can this work?, do I
> > need to
> > change any settings etc?, or buy a new mouse!.
> > Logitech site says my mouse can be used on either connection, but as
> > I'm new
> > to XP, may be something I need to do?.
> > Grateful for any help, many thanks.

I have the same problem with the Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse 1.0A.
It works fine on the USB port, but once I switch to PS/2 port using the
adaptor, the mouse does not work (even the optic light is not on, and the
adaptor is also from Microsoft). Moreover, when I switch back to my old mouse
after trying to use the USB mouse on the PS/2 port, the mouse does not
respond and I had to reboot the computer in order to get my old mouse working
again.

P.S. If I had a mouse plugged into the PS/2 port and one plugged into the
USB port, both works fine at the same time and after either one is removed
from the port.