fastest cpu on ga7- DXR

RAJU

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

What is the fastest processor anyone has running on this board?- ive
currently got 1.2gig athlon, but thinking of upgrading, also anyone
recommend any good but quiet heatsinks?- im running a fop-32 at the mo, ant
idle temps are about 50 C

TIA
Raj

Raju <rajuvora@hotmailREMOVEPLZ!.com> wrote:
| What is the fastest processor anyone has running on this board?- ive
| currently got 1.2gig athlon, but thinking of upgrading, also anyone
| recommend any good but quiet heatsinks?- im running a fop-32 at the
| mo, ant idle temps are about 50 C

As someone else has got the processor recommendation covered, I thought I'd
attack the HSF issue.
From personal experience.
The best HSF I've found so far to give adequate cooling on an AMD CPU and
not be very noisy is the CoolerMaster Aero. The heatsink has a copper core,
but the fins are aluminium so it is not too heavy. The fan it uses is fairly
radical - it works tangentially instead of axially - and seems to push more
air through the heatsink than most 80mm jobs manage. One nice thing is that
it comes with a speed control, so you can set the fan speed for minimum
noise / optimum CPU temperature. This enables you to have a fairly quiet
installation, as you can often have the fan turn a lot slower without having
the CPU get much hotter. If you really need an extreme blast of air it will
do it, but you'll hear it.
Tangential fans are generally considered more efficient than axial fans -
they will either flow more air for the same power, or push the same air
through with less noise using less power.
Kevin.

RAJU

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

"Skipai Da Otter" <skipaiotter@fishbones.hotmail.com> wrote in message

cheers done the bios upgrade ( helped when i disabled bios write
protection!!!)
checked ram, and will put an order for xp2400 as soon as i found a nice
heatsink!!!

"Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Raju <rajuvora@hotmailREMOVEPLZ!.com> wrote:
> | What is the fastest processor anyone has running on this board?- ive
> | currently got 1.2gig athlon, but thinking of upgrading, also anyone
> | recommend any good but quiet heatsinks?- im running a fop-32 at the
> | mo, ant idle temps are about 50 C
>
> As someone else has got the processor recommendation covered, I thought
I'd
> attack the HSF issue.
> From personal experience.
> The best HSF I've found so far to give adequate cooling on an AMD CPU and
> not be very noisy is the CoolerMaster Aero. The heatsink has a copper
core,
> but the fins are aluminium so it is not too heavy. The fan it uses is
fairly
> radical - it works tangentially instead of axially - and seems to push
more
> air through the heatsink than most 80mm jobs manage. One nice thing is
that
> it comes with a speed control, so you can set the fan speed for minimum
> noise / optimum CPU temperature. This enables you to have a fairly quiet
> installation, as you can often have the fan turn a lot slower without
having
> the CPU get much hotter. If you really need an extreme blast of air it
will
> do it, but you'll hear it.
> Tangential fans are generally considered more efficient than axial fans -
> they will either flow more air for the same power, or push the same air
> through with less noise using less power.
> Kevin.

Thanks for the info, but at £20ish its a bit steep for this pocket :-( pity,
looks like its the bees knees.
considereing something like the Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2 Tc
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X2
92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=58511

any thoughts?
TIA

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

Raju <rajuvora@hotmailREMOVEPLZ!.com> wrote:
| "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
|| Raju <rajuvora@hotmailREMOVEPLZ!.com> wrote:
||| What is the fastest processor anyone has running on this board?- ive
||| currently got 1.2gig athlon, but thinking of upgrading, also anyone
||| recommend any good but quiet heatsinks?- im running a fop-32 at the
||| mo, ant idle temps are about 50 C
|| As someone else has got the processor recommendation covered, I
|| thought I'd attack the HSF issue.
|| From personal experience.
|| The best HSF I've found so far to give adequate cooling on an AMD
|| CPU and not be very noisy is the CoolerMaster Aero. The heatsink has
|| a copper core, but the fins are aluminium so it is not too heavy.
|| The fan it uses is fairly radical - it works tangentially instead of
|| axially - and seems to push more air through the heatsink than most
|| 80mm jobs manage. One nice thing is that it comes with a speed
|| control, so you can set the fan speed for minimum noise / optimum
|| CPU temperature. This enables you to have a fairly quiet
|| installation, as you can often have the fan turn a lot slower
|| without having the CPU get much hotter. If you really need an
|| extreme blast of air it will do it, but you'll hear it.
|| Tangential fans are generally considered more efficient than axial
|| fans - they will either flow more air for the same power, or push
|| the same air through with less noise using less power.
|| Kevin.
|
| Thanks for the info, but at £20ish its a bit steep for this pocket
| :-( pity, looks like its the bees knees.
| considereing something like the Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2 Tc

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X2
| 92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=58511
|
| any thoughts?

Well, it doesn't look too bad - just a little on the short side. I'm
surprised that you can get a HSF with a copper bottom plate and
thrmo-controlled fan at that price.
The question is whether it is a genuine bargain, or if they've skimped a
little on the fan quality. It uses a lot less metal than the ThermalTake
Volcano 7, which I've used quite a bit on hot Thunderbirds and Palaminos,
but as you are planning on using it to cool a not-very-hot Thoroughbred it
may well be fine. I wouldn't do much overclocking with it, though.
I also notice that it seems to have quite steeply angled sides which might
make it difficult to mount and unmount while the m/board is in the case -
but this depends on your m/board layout and how close it is to the PSU.
Worth considering, I think.
As with any new CPU installation, is will be well worth keeping a watchfull
eye on the temp at first.
Do let us know how good it is.

"Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Raju <rajuvora@hotmailREMOVEPLZ!.com> wrote:
> | "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> || As someone else has got the processor recommendation covered, I
> || thought I'd attack the HSF issue.
> || From personal experience.
> || The best HSF I've found so far to give adequate cooling on an AMD
> || CPU and not be very noisy is the CoolerMaster Aero. The heatsink has
> || a copper core, but the fins are aluminium so it is not too heavy.
> || The fan it uses is fairly radical - it works tangentially instead of
> || axially - and seems to push more air through the heatsink than most
> || 80mm jobs manage. One nice thing is that it comes with a speed
> || control, so you can set the fan speed for minimum noise / optimum
> || CPU temperature. This enables you to have a fairly quiet
> || installation, as you can often have the fan turn a lot slower
> || without having the CPU get much hotter. If you really need an
> || extreme blast of air it will do it, but you'll hear it.
> || Tangential fans are generally considered more efficient than axial
> || fans - they will either flow more air for the same power, or push
> || the same air through with less noise using less power.
> || Kevin.
> |
> | Thanks for the info, but at £20ish its a bit steep for this pocket
> | :-( pity, looks like its the bees knees.
> | considereing something like the Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2 Tc

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X2
> | 92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=58511
> |
> | any thoughts?
>
> Well, it doesn't look too bad - just a little on the short side. I'm
> surprised that you can get a HSF with a copper bottom plate and
> thrmo-controlled fan at that price.
> The question is whether it is a genuine bargain, or if they've skimped a
> little on the fan quality. It uses a lot less metal than the ThermalTake
> Volcano 7, which I've used quite a bit on hot Thunderbirds and Palaminos,
> but as you are planning on using it to cool a not-very-hot Thoroughbred it
> may well be fine. I wouldn't do much overclocking with it, though.
> I also notice that it seems to have quite steeply angled sides which might
> make it difficult to mount and unmount while the m/board is in the case -
> but this depends on your m/board layout and how close it is to the PSU.
> Worth considering, I think.
> As with any new CPU installation, is will be well worth keeping a
watchfull
> eye on the temp at first.
> Do let us know how good it is.
> Kevin.

Decided to get the Coolermaster Aero7, from ebuyer ( cheepest i found on
kellco...) but they arnt stocking it anymore!!! its a right royal pain in
the a**.... anyone know anywhere else i can order it from for £17.94 inc vat
or cheeper?

TIA
Raj

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

Raju <rajuvora@hotmailREMOVEPLZ!.com> wrote:
| "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btinternet.com> wrote in message
|| Raju <rajuvora@hotmailREMOVEPLZ!.com> wrote:
||| "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
||| Thanks for the info, but at £20ish its a bit steep for this pocket
||| :-( pity, looks like its the bees knees.
||| considereing something like the Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2 Tc

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X2
||| 92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=58511
||| any thoughts?
|| Well, it doesn't look too bad - just a little on the short side. I'm
|| surprised that you can get a HSF with a copper bottom plate and
|| thrmo-controlled fan at that price.
|| The question is whether it is a genuine bargain, or if they've
|| skimped a little on the fan quality. It uses a lot less metal than
|| the ThermalTake Volcano 7, which I've used quite a bit on hot
|| Thunderbirds and Palaminos, but as you are planning on using it to
|| cool a not-very-hot Thoroughbred it may well be fine. I wouldn't do
|| much overclocking with it, though.
|| I also notice that it seems to have quite steeply angled sides which
|| might make it difficult to mount and unmount while the m/board is in
|| the case - but this depends on your m/board layout and how close it
|| is to the PSU. Worth considering, I think.
|| As with any new CPU installation, is will be well worth keeping a
|| watchfull eye on the temp at first.
|| Do let us know how good it is.
|| Kevin.
|
| Decided to get the Coolermaster Aero7, from ebuyer ( cheepest i found
| on kellco...) but they arnt stocking it anymore!!! its a right royal
| pain in the a**.... anyone know anywhere else i can order it from for
| £17.94 inc vat or cheeper?

I got all of mine - the Aero 7 lite version off e-bay at about fifteen quid,
for example:
I got all of mine - the Aero 7 lite version - off e-bay for about fifteen
quid. For example:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3475971036&category=367
3
Does the job fine running at about 50% of full speed on an XP2400 - 43
degrees.

> Raju <rajuvora@hotmailREMOVEPLZ!.com> wrote:
> | "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btinternet.com> wrote in message

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X2
> || Well, it doesn't look too bad - just a little on the short side. I'm
> || surprised that you can get a HSF with a copper bottom plate and
> || thrmo-controlled fan at that price.
> || The question is whether it is a genuine bargain, or if they've
> || skimped a little on the fan quality. It uses a lot less metal than
> || the ThermalTake Volcano 7, which I've used quite a bit on hot
> || Thunderbirds and Palaminos, but as you are planning on using it to
> || cool a not-very-hot Thoroughbred it may well be fine. I wouldn't do
> || much overclocking with it, though.
> || I also notice that it seems to have quite steeply angled sides which
> || might make it difficult to mount and unmount while the m/board is in
> || the case - but this depends on your m/board layout and how close it
> || is to the PSU. Worth considering, I think.
> || As with any new CPU installation, is will be well worth keeping a
> || watchfull eye on the temp at first.
> || Do let us know how good it is.
> || Kevin.
> |
> | Decided to get the Coolermaster Aero7, from ebuyer ( cheepest i found
> | on kellco...) but they arnt stocking it anymore!!! its a right royal
> | pain in the a**.... anyone know anywhere else i can order it from for
> | £17.94 inc vat or cheeper?
>
> I got all of mine - the Aero 7 lite version off e-bay at about fifteen
quid,
> for example:
> I got all of mine - the Aero 7 lite version - off e-bay for about fifteen
> quid. For example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3475971036&category=367
> 3
> Does the job fine running at about 50% of full speed on an XP2400 - 43
> degrees.
> Kevin.

The dirty deed has been done, placed an order for the xp2400+ and
Coolermaster Aero 7+ with overclockers.co.uk.. will hopefully be here within
the next few days!!!
cheers for your help!

Raj

RAJU

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

<Snip>
> || Well, it doesn't look too bad - just a little on the short side. I'm
> || surprised that you can get a HSF with a copper bottom plate and
> || thrmo-controlled fan at that price.
> || The question is whether it is a genuine bargain, or if they've
> || skimped a little on the fan quality. It uses a lot less metal than
> || the ThermalTake Volcano 7, which I've used quite a bit on hot
> || Thunderbirds and Palaminos, but as you are planning on using it to
> || cool a not-very-hot Thoroughbred it may well be fine. I wouldn't do
> || much overclocking with it, though.
> || I also notice that it seems to have quite steeply angled sides which
> || might make it difficult to mount and unmount while the m/board is in
> || the case - but this depends on your m/board layout and how close it
> || is to the PSU. Worth considering, I think.
> || As with any new CPU installation, is will be well worth keeping a
> || watchfull eye on the temp at first.
> || Do let us know how good it is.
> || Kevin.
> |
> | Decided to get the Coolermaster Aero7, from ebuyer ( cheepest i found
> | on kellco...) but they arnt stocking it anymore!!! its a right royal
> | pain in the a**.... anyone know anywhere else i can order it from for
> | £17.94 inc vat or cheeper?
>
> I got all of mine - the Aero 7 lite version off e-bay at about fifteen
quid,
> for example:
> I got all of mine - the Aero 7 lite version - off e-bay for about fifteen
> quid. For example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3475971036&category=367
> 3
> Does the job fine running at about 50% of full speed on an XP2400 - 43
> degrees.
> Kevin.

Installed the Aero7+ .. got one problem tho... i cant start my pc with the
monitor cable connected to the mb.
The fan has a 4pin connector for the power ( same as hard disk) and a 3 pin
connector for monitor to connect to the mb.
I can start it if i connect in another fan from my old heatsink but the main
reason for replacing it was noise... if i have the fan connected then it is
pointless...
There must be a way around this? Ideally with my new heatsink connected so i
can monitor the speed of the fan!
( BTW i can only monitor the cpu connector and not the speeds of the other
two fan connectors.)
TIA
Raj

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

RAJU

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

"Skipai Da Otter" <skipaiotter@fishbones.hotmail.com> wrote in message

cheers sorted that problem out!

now got another one.. ive jsut replaced the stock heatsink for the chipset,
with a coolermaster SLC-S41 Cooler.
after a while about half an hour it fell off.. ie the stickey pad that was
on it didnt stick!. By hopin that with the heat it will settle in and stick
properly.. am i right to hope this?
TIA
Raj

"Raju" <rajuvora@hotmailREMOVEPLZ!.com> wrote in message

> cheers sorted that problem out!
>
> now got another one.. ive jsut replaced the stock heatsink for the
chipset,
> with a coolermaster SLC-S41 Cooler.
> after a while about half an hour it fell off.. ie the stickey pad that was
> on it didnt stick!. By hopin that with the heat it will settle in and
stick
> properly.. am i right to hope this?
> TIA
> Raj

*blinks*

You just put the heatsink on and that was it? Did you fit it properly as in
make sure that the heatsink arms connected to teh cpu socket plugs. You
should've got a instruction on how to fit the heatsink to the motherboard.
Unless you broke the socket A lugs that hold the cpu in place. In that
case, you need a new motherboard.

Does the CPU still run? It only takes a second to burn itself out without a
heatsink in place. You should've clipped it into place etc. If not, you
may have to buy another CPU again.

--
Skipai Da Otter
When is a fish not a fish? When it's in my belly :eek:)

> "Raju" <rajuvora@hotmailREMOVEPLZ!.com> wrote in message
> >
> > cheers sorted that problem out!
> >
> > now got another one.. ive jsut replaced the stock heatsink for the
> chipset,
> > with a coolermaster SLC-S41 Cooler.
> > after a while about half an hour it fell off.. ie the stickey pad that
was
> > on it didnt stick!. By hopin that with the heat it will settle in and
> stick
> > properly.. am i right to hope this?
> > TIA
> > Raj
> >

> *blinks*
>
> You just put the heatsink on and that was it? Did you fit it properly as
in
> make sure that the heatsink arms connected to teh cpu socket plugs. You
> should've got a instruction on how to fit the heatsink to the motherboard.
> Unless you broke the socket A lugs that hold the cpu in place. In that
> case, you need a new motherboard.
>
> Does the CPU still run? It only takes a second to burn itself out without
> heatsink in place. You should've clipped it into place etc. If not, you
> may have to buy another CPU again.
>

> --
> Skipai Da Otter
> When is a fish not a fish? When it's in my belly :eek:)
> Remove 'fishbones' to email me.
> ICQ #25078250

chipset heatsink!!! - my cpu heatsink is fine had a few probs installing it
due to shear size but after removing the power suppy was ok...

and i ended up gluing the heatsink onto the chipset with superglue. i
removed the stickey pad that was on it and replaced with thermal paste, then
a dab of glue on each corner and it seems to be working great... not falled
off. and so far the comp hasnt complained ( been under full load for abuot 2
hours now )...

seems like problems solved :)
cheers for all your help!
Raj

RAJU

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

"Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Raju <rajuvora@hotmailREMOVEPLZ!.com> wrote:
> | What is the fastest processor anyone has running on this board?- ive
> | currently got 1.2gig athlon, but thinking of upgrading, also anyone
> | recommend any good but quiet heatsinks?- im running a fop-32 at the
> | mo, ant idle temps are about 50 C
>
> As someone else has got the processor recommendation covered, I thought
I'd
> attack the HSF issue.
> From personal experience.
> The best HSF I've found so far to give adequate cooling on an AMD CPU and
> not be very noisy is the CoolerMaster Aero. The heatsink has a copper
core,
> but the fins are aluminium so it is not too heavy. The fan it uses is
fairly
> radical - it works tangentially instead of axially - and seems to push
more
> air through the heatsink than most 80mm jobs manage. One nice thing is
that
> it comes with a speed control, so you can set the fan speed for minimum
> noise / optimum CPU temperature. This enables you to have a fairly quiet
> installation, as you can often have the fan turn a lot slower without
having
> the CPU get much hotter. If you really need an extreme blast of air it
will
> do it, but you'll hear it.
> Tangential fans are generally considered more efficient than axial fans -
> they will either flow more air for the same power, or push the same air
> through with less noise using less power.
> Kevin.

new heatsinks are in.. and running... getin temp of 55C when under full
load, case is closed completly and fan is only at 3000rpm :)
Thanks to all of u for your help!!!
well worth the £85 for upgrades!
cheers
Raj