REGISTRY BACKUP

January 18, 2005 11:43:02 PM

The problem I have encounter is when I was following the instructions from
Norton Internet Security scan to delete a Spyware.Seekseek� virus, in which I
deleted the file first using the Windows Explorer successfully. Then it
instructs that I delete the value from the registry, but it recommended that
I do a backup of the registry first.
Well I did a backup of the System State, which seemed to
complete successfully (following the microsoft link provided). I then
decided to do a backup of my entire computer to be on the safe side (please
note this is all foreign to me and the first time I think I have done this),
but I received a message that it did not complete successfully. I have
pasted the report below:

Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "registry backup.bkf created 1/8/2005 at 9:25 PM"

Backup (via shadow copy) of "System State"
Backup set #1 on media #1
Backup description: "Set created 1/8/2005 at 9:25 PM"
Media name: "registry backup.bkf created 1/8/2005 at 9:25 PM"

Backup Type: Copy

Backup started on 1/8/2005 at 9:26 PM.
Backup completed on 1/8/2005 at 9:33 PM.
Directories: 139
Files: 2465
Time: 7 minutes and 24 seconds

----------------------

Verify Status
Operation: Verify After Backup
Active backup destination: File
Active backup destination: C:\Documents and Settings\PEGGY\Desktop\registry
backup.bkf

Verify of "System State"
Backup set #1 on media #1
Backup description: "Set created 1/8/2005 at 9:25 PM"
Verify started on 1/8/2005 at 9:34 PM.
Verify completed on 1/8/2005 at 9:36 PM.
Directories: 139
Files: 2465
Different: 0
Time: 2 minutes and 34 seconds

----------------------

Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "registry backup.bkf created 1/8/2005 at 9:49 PM"

Backup (via shadow copy) of "C: "
Backup set #2 on media #1
Backup description: "Set created 1/8/2005 at 9:49 PM"
Media name: "registry backup.bkf created 1/8/2005 at 9:25 PM"

Backup Type: Normal

Backup started on 1/8/2005 at 9:54 PM.
WARNING: Portions of "\WINDOWS\Installer\1884489.msi" cannot be read. The
backed up data is corrupt or incomplete.
This file will not restore correctly.
Warning: Unable to open "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\188448e.msi" - skipped.
Reason: The system cannot find the file specified.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\1884490.mst" - skipped.
Reason: The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\1884491.mst" - skipped.
Reason: The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\1884492.mst" - skipped.
Reason: The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\1884496.msi" - skipped.
Reason: The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\1884499.mst" - skipped.
Reason: The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\188449a.mst" - skipped.
Reason: The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\188449b.mst" - skipped.
Reason: The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

Could not access portions of directory C:\WINDOWS\Installer.
You may not have permission to open the file, or the directory may be
missing or damaged.
Please contact the owner or administrator.

Backup completed on 1/9/2005 at 2:13 AM.
Directories: 4456
Files: 121987
Corrupt: 1
Time: 4 hours, 18 minutes, and 10 seconds
Backup (via shadow copy) of "System State"
Backup set #3 on media #1
Backup description: "Set created 1/8/2005 at 9:49 PM"
Media name: "registry backup.bkf created 1/8/2005 at 9:25 PM"

Backup Type: Copy

Backup started on 1/9/2005 at 2:13 AM.

Error: Could not access portions of directory System State\COM+ Class
Registration Database.
You may not have permission to open the file, or the directory may be
missing or damaged.
Please contact the owner or administrator.

Error: Could not access portions of directory System State\Registry.
You may not have permission to open the file, or the directory may be
missing or damaged.
Please contact the owner or administrator.

Backup completed on 1/9/2005 at 2:22 AM.
Directories: 139
Files: 2459
Time: 8 minutes and 59 seconds
Critical files that make up System State were not successfuly backed up.
Restoring this backup set will cause system failure.

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

----------------------

The next issue that I noticed was that the backup used up 15 GB of my hard
disk and it was not even successful. I also have a icon or "registry backup"
on my desktop now and the size is 24.3GB (which I am not sure if it is good
or not) I am hoping that you can help me understand what is happening when I
am doing these backups, which is using up so much of my space and also give
me any suggestions or instructions on doing these.

At this point I don't know what to do, but I was wondering if a system
restore would revert me back to start all over. I also read somewhere in a
discussion where the system restore is doing the registry backup along, is
this correct?

Thank you for any assistance that can be provided.

More about : registry backup

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 1:16:50 PM

I use Norton Ghost, I back everything up to a Moble Dock Extra Hard Drive
then turn it off. Thank Goodness I did it, as WinXP wouldn't boot yesterday,
I formated with Partion Magic, then used the Norton Backup to Restore it all
and I was all set.

"ANGEL" <ANGEL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> The next issue that I noticed was that the backup used up 15 GB of my hard
> disk and it was not even successful. I also have a icon or "registry
> backup"
> on my desktop now and the size is 24.3GB (which I am not sure if it is
> good
> or not) I am hoping that you can help me understand what is happening
> when I
> am doing these backups, which is using up so much of my space and also
> give
> me any suggestions or instructions on doing these.
>
> At this point I don't know what to do, but I was wondering if a system
> restore would revert me back to start all over. I also read somewhere in
> discussion where the system restore is doing the registry backup along, is
> this correct?
>
> Thank you for any assistance that can be provided.

January 19, 2005 3:33:33 PM

Often when you backup an entire drive, especially the system drive, you will
run into various files that for one reason or another cannot be opened.
Sometimes they are in use, sometimes the system simply won't allow access.
In your case, all the references are to the same file which appears to be
the only file in the Windows installer directory which, according to what
you have posted cannot be accessed either.

Backing up the entire system drive is a convenience, you never should
restore an entire backup of this type. It's a convenience that allows you
to backup all files to ensure you don't miss anything you might need and the
things you might need are your data files, files you have created or created
by various applications for the purpose of storing your data created in that
application. If you need to restore the entire system drive, then it should
be done by either a clean install as in a format of the drive, reinstalling
the operating system and applications, then restoring your data or creating
a clean image of your setup with the OS installed, your applications
installed, perhaps your various settings and drivers installed and
supplement that with your backup.

Then, when, for some reason you need to start over, you can simply restore
the image and then restore only your data files from that full backup.

I can't speak to the reason for the size of your backup, I have no idea what
is on your hard drive but if you were doing this with the idea you could
simply restore the full backup of that drive if you got into trouble, while
it is certainly doable, it is not advisable. Also, if the system becomes
unbootable, it's useless since you must first reinstall the operating system
and your applications anyway. The above scenario, speeds the process since
there would be no installation at all, simply a restoration of the image
file and then restore your data from backup.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

!