I am buying a new motherboard which has SATA capabilities. I know I can
have 2 SATA drives and 2 IDE drivers. My question is can I set BIOS where
SATA is the first boot device, then the IDE drives and so on. TIA

"_Mark_" <mstonecipher1@houston.rr.com> wrote...
>I am buying a new motherboard which has SATA capabilities. I know I can have
>2 SATA drives and 2 IDE drivers. My question is can I set BIOS where SATA is
>the first boot device, then the IDE drives and so on. TIA

In general, yes.

You may need to set up the computer BIOS as well as the SATA controller BIOS
appropriately.

Another question. Am I correct in assuming that you have to hit F6 and
install the SATA drivers, then continue on with the XP installation. Sorry
using an ASUS board. Then SATA drive would be boot drive and the IDE
drives would be sec. and third device...

"_Mark_" <mstonecipher1@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>I am buying a new motherboard which has SATA capabilities. I know I can
>have 2 SATA drives and 2 IDE drivers. My question is can I set BIOS where
>SATA is the first boot device, then the IDE drives and so on. TIA

Depends on the motherboard and/or chipset used but in general, YES.

"_Mark_" <mstonecipher1@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>I am buying a new motherboard which has SATA capabilities. I know I can
>have 2 SATA drives and 2 IDE drivers. My question is can I set BIOS where
>SATA is the first boot device, then the IDE drives and so on. TIA

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have an ABIT IC7-MAX3; two IDE channels for four devices, six SATA
connectors, and floppy channel.

I have a hard drive connected to SATA 1 and SATA 2; an LS-120 to IDE 1
Master, a DVD drive to IDE 2 Master and a CD drive to IDE 2 Slave.

The floppy channel is turned off in the BIOS.

The LS-120 appears as drive A:

SATA 1 comes up as C: and SATA 2 as D:

The DVD is E: and the CD is F:

The SATA drives are selectable in the BIOS as to boot order

All of this info is spelled out in the motherboard manual with further help
at the manufacturer's web site and forum.