GA-7DXR unstable after CPU upgrade to XP 2600 - do I need ..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

Do I need to reinstall Win XP?

I have been running an Athlon 1400 in a Giga-byte 7DXR mb for several years.

The whole system has been very stable. The motherboard has the latest BIOS
(F10). The operating system is XP Pro SP1, all the latest patches and
drivers

This motherboard/bios supports the Athlon XP 2600 with a 266 FSB.

I replaced the original processor with the latter.

The processor is recognized correctly, but the system is very unstable.

I get a random variety of stop errors.

There are some programs which will not work consistently.

The latest version of Netscape's Firefox browser was installed and ran
perfectly on the A 1400 processor.

This will not run at all on the new processor (actually it appears in the
task list, but produces no windows on the screen).

Very frequently (almost always) after booting into Windows, I get an error
message about inability to load the Sun JVM. The file appcompat.txt
generated by the error always shows "EXE NAME="java.exe"
FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY""

When I remove Firefox and the Sun JVM, the system is still unstable.

I have run a check on the RAM ( it's OK ), and run the system with minimal
drivers, but the problem remains.

If I run the system in safe mode, I don't get the stop errors.... but then I
don't run it as long in safe mode as I do regularly.

Any suggestions?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

Hello,

I am having a similar problem to the original poster.

In my instance I have used the 7dxr with a 1GHz athlon which I have
now upgraded to an Athlon 2600 (266 fsb), which is the faster cpu this
mobo will take.

To use the 2600, you need to have the F10 bios. I have flashed this,
but when I boot, I sometimes see that it is showing F6. I think the
dual bios is for some reason reloading F6 rather than F10, but I don't
know why.

Please can you help?

My 160gb drive is showing as only 137gb and this is in part because of
the F6 bios. With the f10 bios, the bios reports it as 160gb but
Windows 2000 with sp4 still says it is 137 and I have used Partition
Magic 8 and that can only find 137 too. Why?

Finally, I am using the 1GHz cpu at the moment, it is at about 55
degrees C. The cooler master heat sink is rated up to xp3200, but when
I fit the xp2600, the temperature goes to 70 at boot-up and Windows
will not load.

Thanks.

<nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am having a similar problem to the original poster.

> In my instance I have used the 7dxr with a 1GHz athlon which I have
> now upgraded to an Athlon 2600 (266 fsb), which is the faster cpu
> this mobo will take.
>
> To use the 2600, you need to have the F10 bios. I have flashed
> this, but when I boot, I sometimes see that it is showing F6. I
> think the dual bios is for some reason reloading F6 rather than
> F10, but I don't know why.
>
> Please can you help?
>
> My 160gb drive is showing as only 137gb and this is in part because
> of the F6 bios. With the f10 bios, the bios reports it as 160gb but
> Windows 2000 with sp4 still says it is 137 and I have used
> Partition Magic 8 and that can only find 137 too. Why?
>
> Finally, I am using the 1GHz cpu at the moment, it is at about 55
> degrees C. The cooler master heat sink is rated up to xp3200, but
> when I fit the xp2600, the temperature goes to 70 at boot-up and
> Windows will not load.

Okay, this is really going to take a while to do but here's what to
do.

1. Either make the XP2600 into a slower speed so that it will boot
up or replace it again with your old CPU to bet it to post.

2. If you have the main BIOS flashed to F10, then you need to do the
same for the secondary bios. When booting up, you will see a screen
that will say, press F1 (I think it's that) to enter dual bios setup.

3. Select to boot up on the older bios. F6 and let the machine to
boot up via your floppy disk which has the flash program and F10 bios
to flash.

4. Run the program and flash that part of the bios to update the
secondary or primary (You may have updated the secondary last time
around) and then reboot.

That's to deal with the bios issues. Now about the cooling.

What cooler is it? What compound are you using? And is the heatsink
fitted properly?

- --
Skipai