Intel To Support Cheap Ultrabooks With Low-Cost Celerons

Status
Not open for further replies.
lmao.
a cheap ultrabook with celeron cpu is a netbook, period. i hope people don't buy into 'cheap ultrabook' BS. a decent low end netbook would be ivb pentium with hd4000 igpu.
intel is so scared of trinity..... ;D

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Intel is doing this to counter the cheap AMD sleekbooks that are going to launch soon with the new trinity APUs. We all al know that will win the gpu race, but ti will interesting to see if a crippled ivy bridge will still against piledriver.

G

the celeron wouldnt hold a candle to trinity isnt it? imo intel would do better to equip all its ivy based i3 with hd4000 graphics instead if they want to compete with amd on the budget areas

amdphenomx4

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Why are they calling a Sandy Bridge CPU a Celeron. It's basically an i3 dual core, but for an ultrabook. Call it i1 or Pentium instead of Celeron. Anything to avoid the bad reputation that the Celeron has.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Celeron.... ? I didn't even realize it was still made. Who would buy this?[/citation]
people that don't really care about quality

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]De5_roy[/nom]lmao.a cheap ultrabook with celeron cpu is a netbook, period. i hope people don't buy into 'cheap ultrabook' BS. a decent low end netbook would be ivb pentium with hd4000 igpu.intel is so scared of trinity..... ;D[/citation]
... if intel is scared from AMD's Tinity APU's, than it is a stupid move from intel's part to put celerons to get ultrabooks cheaper... intel needed to lower prices because they haz still the best CPU, but GPU is shit... if intel puts celeron's in to ultrabooks, they will have shitty CPU's and GPU's...

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... if intel is scared from AMD's Tinity APU's, than it is a stupid move from intel's part to put celerons to get ultrabooks cheaper... intel needed to lower prices because they haz still the best CPU, but GPU is shit... if intel puts celeron's in to ultrabooks, they will have shitty CPU's and GPU's...[/citation]
this is not true...take a look at most the netbooks, laptops, tablets and smartphones today...people will buy what the can afford no matter how the hardware performs....do you really think that someone will little money cares how fast or how slow something is?...they are just happy to have something

G

The GPU isn't shit DjEaZy. Most benchmarks still have the HD4000 within a hair whisper of Trinity's GPU on most 3D tests and performing better in the video encoding department. That is hardly shitty. As for the celeron, we have no specs yet but can't imagine it being that good at $70. Still, it would have to be a whole lot slower to be in Trinity range on the CPU side anyway.

Intel may be reacting to criticism that its processors are simply too expensive to support the lower price tags of Ultrabooks.
So instead of lowering the prices, they just use a lower priced CPU. Brilliant, Intel /s

I think the only reason Intel isn't willing to drop prices is A) they can keep them steady (like Apple and the iPhone/carrier agreements) and B) they haven't made as much profit because they've had to ramp up production an build new facilities to support the 22nm production. They do need to start dropping the price in the next few months though.

tyzer24

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
These are not the old Celerons. the 3X00 series are great (got one in my htpc, HD is flawless) The newer 32nm are even better. I think alot of enthusiasts just assume they suck. Build a cheap celeron box for yourself or a firend. You will be impressed. i promise.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]If I wanted a crippled Celeron ultrabook, I'd rather just buy Trinity.[/citation]

Most people will buy it because it is Intel.

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]DON'T BUY ANY ATOM OR CELERON INSIDE LAPTOPS!!![/citation]
Why the hell not? If it's still a Penryn core (they were massively crippled, one core only, those penryn celerons), it could be a problem, but with sandy cores you still get the latest tech.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]zingam_duo[/nom]Most people will buy it because it is Intel.[/citation]

Brand recognition is Intel's main weapon for the low to mid end market. Hardly anyone that I know are aware of AMD's existence.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
So Intel is pitting 65W and 77W parts against Trinity that is available at 17W, 25W and 35W TDP? And does it in mobile market. Smart move by Intel if they want AMD to increase their revenue.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Im wondering if intel is deliberately crapping over manufacturers. they ask for cheaper ivy bridge CPUs to bring ultrabooks to the sub $1k that intel itself has promised. Intel doesnt want to lower the price of their CPUs which manufacturers consider to be way expensive. No ivy bridge ultrabooks at sub$1k. Intel gives them cheap CPUs with a bad reputation name.

intel shopuld start respecting their clients a bit more. and I know that its tiring to see trinity constatly be compared, but damn, intel should come up with better ideas to combat the rising AMD in the laptop market. If you compare how many AMD laptops were on shelves a few years ago to how many there are now, youll notice how far AMD has come. Manufacturers are moving towards to cheap low power solutions amd comes up with. Intel might have the best CPUs, but their marketing and execs are stupid.

hector2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Celeron.... ? I didn't even realize it was still made. Who would buy this?[/citation]

There's low cost "Celerons" every new generation. This one is simply a re-branded low power Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge that's de-featured some to compete with AMDs low end entry.

hector2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Hetneo[/nom]So Intel is pitting 65W and 77W parts against Trinity that is available at 17W, 25W and 35W TDP? And does it in mobile market. Smart move by Intel if they want AMD to increase their revenue.[/citation]
You need to do your homework. These new Celerons are ULV (ultra low voltage) 32nm & 22nm 17W parts. You can bet that Intel will carve them out to be slightly better price/performance than AMDs parts. An IVB version with it's upgraded integrated graphics will be at least competitive with AMD's Trinity since AMD will have to run at lower frequencies and lower voltages than their desktop versions. See Tom Hardware's analysis at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3720qm-ivy-bridge-mobile-ultrabook,3185.html

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]hector2[/nom]There's low cost "Celerons" every new generation. This one is simply a re-branded low power Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge that's de-featured some to compete with AMDs low end entry.[/citation]
Celerons were usually one or two arhitecture generations behind. If this Celeron really is Sandy bridge, as rumors suggests, it will be something new for intel business tactics. I'm not so sure about its core being an Ivy though.

[citation][nom]hector2[/nom]You need to do your homework. These new Celerons are ULV (ultra low voltage) 32nm & 22nm 17W parts. You can bet that Intel will carve them out to be slightly better price/performance than AMDs parts. An IVB version with it's upgraded integrated graphics will be at least competitive with AMD's Trinity since AMD will have to run at lower frequencies and lower voltages than their desktop versions. See Tom Hardware's analysis at http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] ,3185.html[/citation]
At best Celeron gets HD2500, heavily crippled.

halcyon

Splendid
I would never allow myself to purchase a system with a Celeron (spelled Celery) processor...whether it would meet my needs or not...just too many negative connotations (including "cheap" crippled). It's like when the US tried to sell some poor sucker mid-eastern country F-16's with signicantly less powerful GE J79 turbojets instead of using the normal Pratt&Whitney F100 turbofans of US F-15 and F-16s. Customers don't generally like diluted wares.

Status
Not open for further replies.