DVD-RW won't read DVD-R or DVD-RW when I insert either

davidp

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004

My DVD-RW drive will not read either DVD-R or DVD-RW when I insert them. A
message comes up that says "Please insert disk into Drive D:." Of course, I
have already inserted a disk.

That same drive will read CDs and play computer games. It just won't read
the recordable ones. Please help!!

Thanks,
DavidP

DavidP <DavidP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My DVD-RW drive will not read either DVD-R or DVD-RW when I insert them. A
>message comes up that says "Please insert disk into Drive D:." Of course, I
>have already inserted a disk.

See if this helps: "How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R,
CD-RW, and DVD Discs" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321641).

--
(tm)

davidp

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004

I'm sorry, I've already tried those options in that link. For some reason, my
computer will not read in either of my drives (and they should) any
recordable disk. They read others, though. And, now, when I start my
computer, I get a message that reads: "The system has recovered from a fatal
error" or something like that. I've run SpyBot and Anti-Virus stuff.

I'm at a loss. Thanks for any input.
DavidP

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> DavidP <DavidP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >My DVD-RW drive will not read either DVD-R or DVD-RW when I insert them. A
> >message comes up that says "Please insert disk into Drive D:." Of course, I
> >have already inserted a disk.
>
> See if this helps: "How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R,
> CD-RW, and DVD Discs" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321641).
>
> --
> (tm)

Were the problem DVR and DVD/RW disks created on that drive, or on different
one?
And, will it read/play DVD commercial disks? ("play computer games" doesn't
specify source media, could be either CD or DVD).

"DavidP" <DavidP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My DVD-RW drive will not read either DVD-R or DVD-RW when I insert them. A
> message comes up that says "Please insert disk into Drive D:." Of course,
> have already inserted a disk.
>
> That same drive will read CDs and play computer games. It just won't read
> the recordable ones. Please help!!
>
> Thanks,
> DavidP

davidp

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004

Yes, recordable disks I have used before on the same drive will no longer
work, and fresh, unused recordable disks will not work.

Audio CDs will work, and computer games in the DVD format (Battle for Middle
Earth) will work just fine.

The only thing it will not "pick up" are recordable disks - either unused or
used.

Thank you much,
DavidP