Digital Camera won't Autoplay

I recently upgraded my wife's computer from NT4 to XP Pro SP2. Now she's
complaining her USB digital camera (Nikon 3500) doesn't AutoPlay when
she plugs in - it worked the very first time, but not since.

MSKB article 822660 describes this exact problem - but claims it was
fixed in SP2. I downloaded and ran AutoFix.exe referenced in the above
article. It says AutoPlay settings are at defaults (correct), and
detects hardware notifications (also correct, since a drive letter
appears and disappears when it should), therefore there is no problem -
except there's still no AutoPlay dialog!

It's rather annoying that USB AutoPlay always worked flawlessly on NT4 -
which supposedly doesn't support USB :-) - but won't work at all on XP!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sunny
11 answers Last reply
More about digital camera autoplay

    If you haven't yet you might update Nikon View (6.2.3) it provides support
    for SP2.

    http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=dtc_options&cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25508

    Jon Erlandson wrote:
    > If you haven't yet you might update Nikon View (6.2.3) it provides support
    > for SP2.
    >
    > http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=dtc_options&cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25508

    Thanks for the tip.

    I haven't installed Nikon View (any version) yet as I thought that might
    complicate the issue - besides, my wife prefers the XP Camera Wizard,
    she just wants it to AutoPlay!

    Sunny wrote:

    > Jon Erlandson wrote:
    >
    >> If you haven't yet you might update Nikon View (6.2.3) it provides
    >> support for SP2.
    >>
    >> http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=dtc_options&cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25508
    >>

    > Thanks for the tip.
    >
    > I haven't installed Nikon View (any version) yet as I thought that might
    > complicate the issue - besides, my wife prefers the XP Camera Wizard,
    > she just wants it to AutoPlay!
    >
    >> "Sunny" <sunny@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I recently upgraded my wife's computer from NT4 to XP Pro SP2. Now
    >>> she's complaining her USB digital camera (Nikon 3500) doesn't
    >>> AutoPlay when she plugs it in - it worked the very first time, but not
    >>> since.
    >>>
    >>> MSKB article 822660 describes this exact problem - but claims it was
    >>> fixed in SP2. I downloaded and ran AutoFix.exe referenced in the
    >>> above article. It says AutoPlay settings are at defaults (correct),
    >>> and detects hardware notifications (also correct, since a drive
    >>> letter appears and disappears when it should), therefore there is no
    >>> problem - except there's still no AutoPlay dialog!
    >>>
    >>> It's rather annoying that USB AutoPlay always worked flawlessly on
    >>> NT4 - which supposedly doesn't support USB :-) - but won't work at
    >>> all on XP!
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Sunny

    I still haven't figured this one out - clearly hardware notifications
    are working, but they only trigger AutoPlay the first time the camera is
    plugged into a fresh XP Pro SP2 installation, never again.

    Nobody else has encountered this?

    Sunny

    Here's a link to some info that may help (some say the problem is real
    player.)
    http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?showtopic=15090

    Let me know if it helps

    > Sunny wrote:
    >

    >> Jon Erlandson wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you haven't yet you might update Nikon View (6.2.3) it provides
    >>> support for SP2.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=dtc_options&cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25508
    >>

    >> Thanks for the tip.
    >>
    >> I haven't installed Nikon View (any version) yet as I thought that might
    >> complicate the issue - besides, my wife prefers the XP Camera Wizard, she
    >> just wants it to AutoPlay!
    >>
    >>> "Sunny" <sunny@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > I still haven't figured this one out - clearly hardware notifications are
    > working, but they only trigger AutoPlay the first time the camera is
    > plugged into a fresh XP Pro SP2 installation, never again.
    >
    > Nobody else has encountered this?
    >
    > Sunny

    Try plugging the camera in, then select the properties for
    the camera (in My Computer) and set the auto-play action to
    your choice, including display the choice of actions.

    You would do better to use a card reader, since using the
    camera requires that it has good batteries and if the
    batteries die during a transfer, you can and will damage the
    picture files.

    I have had good results using the Lexar USB 2.0 MultiCard
    reader (under $30 at Wal-Mart).

    Jon Erlandson wrote:
    > Here's a link to some info that may help (some say the problem is real
    > player.)
    > http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?showtopic=15090
    >
    > Let me know if it helps

    Thanks, I think that is the answer!

    My wife has gone out with the digicam, but a thumb drive that works fine
    on my machine doesn't autoplay on hers either. Both machines have the
    correct registry value as per the link you posted - but hers has real
    player installed and mine doesn't.

    I'll ask her to choose between real player and autoplay when she gets
    home ;-)

    Jim Macklin wrote:

    > Try plugging the camera in, then select the properties for
    > the camera (in My Computer) and set the auto-play action to
    > your choice, including display the choice of actions.

    Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it, didn't help. It appears Real Player
    breaks AutoPlay - see my reply to Jon.

    > You would do better to use a card reader, since using the
    > camera requires that it has good batteries and if the
    > batteries die during a transfer, you can and will damage the
    > picture files.

    Really? How common, and how extensive, is the file damage that can
    occur? Sounds like poor design to me.

    I've had the camera run out of battery during a transfer a couple of
    times - no damaged files, but perhaps I was just lucky.

    > I have had good results using the Lexar USB 2.0 MultiCard
    > reader (under $30 at Wal-Mart).

    You can remove RealPlayer and get JetAudio which will handle
    all Real file types without the hassles or spyware.

    | Jon Erlandson wrote:
    | > Here's a link to some info that may help (some say the
    problem is real
    | > player.)

    http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?showtopic=15090

    | > Let me know if it helps
    |
    | Thanks, I think that is the answer!
    |
    | My wife has gone out with the digicam, but a thumb drive
    that works fine
    | on my machine doesn't autoplay on hers either. Both
    machines have the
    | correct registry value as per the link you posted - but
    hers has real
    | player installed and mine doesn't.
    |
    | I'll ask her to choose between real player and autoplay
    when she gets
    | home ;-)
    |
    | > "Sunny" <sunny@nospam.net> wrote in message

    it provides

    Camera Wizard, she

    Pro SP2. Now
    doesn't AutoPlay

    referenced in the above

    | >>I still haven't figured this one out - clearly hardware
    notifications are
    | >>working, but they only trigger AutoPlay the first time
    the camera is
    | >>plugged into a fresh XP Pro SP2 installation, never
    again.

    | >>Nobody else has encountered this?
    | >>
    | >>Sunny

    If you have the batteries die, it could erase the files, at
    least that was the warning with my Fuji FP3800. It won't
    even connect unless the batteries are fairly strong, they
    recommend an external power supply to the camera. The
    multiport card readers are very handy. They functions as a
    four hard drives and you can copy files from card to card or
    the hard drive. 1 GB CF cards are now under $70. Here is a
    link to the reader I have...
    http://www.lexar.com/readers/multi.html

    I bought my wife one too, she carries it to and from home
    and work and prefers it to a thumb drive. Her co-workers
    really like it.

    Again, in case you miss the other post, replace Real Player
    with Jet Audio.

    Jon Erlandson wrote:
    > Here's a link to some info that may help (some say the problem is real
    > player.)
    > http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?showtopic=15090
    >
    > Let me know if it helps

    Yup - uninstalled Real Player and USB AutoPlay started working
    immediately, didn't even need to log out.

    Thanks!

    Sunny

    Jim Macklin wrote:

    > You can remove RealPlayer and get JetAudio which will handle
    > all Real file types without the hassles or spyware.

    Thanks, I'll try it.

    Sunny

Hardware Cameras Windows XP