Cannot format new 200gb Hard disk

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2004 7:23:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

I have just installed a new Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200gb
(ST3200822A) drive to replace an old 9gb drive.

Windows XP Disk Manager recognises the drive and reports it as
186.31GB Unallocated. I can create a

Primary Partition on this drive to use up all 186.31GB, however if I
also choose to format it then at the

very end of the format process I get the error

"Logical Disk Manager: The format did not complete successfully".

The drive appears in Windows Explorer and when I try to access it I am
told that it is not formatted and

prompts me to format it - which also fails.

I have also tried using Partition Magic 8.0 but this fails with Error
#514 Unknown error formatting volume

during the final stage of Updating System Information.

When searching the Net, the number 137GB kept appearing as a "large
disk" boundary which may cause

problems, so I tried creating a partition of 130GB and it worked,
however this leaves me with 70GB of

wasted space! I am unable to create more partitions to use up the
extra space as the formatting fails.

I am running Windows XP SP2 (I also tried it with SP1 before upgrading
to SP2). The fact that windows CAN

see the full size of the disk and create partitions, but cannot format
them seems curious.

I have run some Seagate diagnostic tools to check the disk and no
errors have been reported.

My machine spec. is:
Gigabyte GA-8IHXP Socket 478 ATX Rev 2.1
Intel Pentium 4 2.53ghz Northwood 512
768mb PC1066 Rambus Memory
Winfast A250 Utra TD Graphics
2 x DiamondMax+ D740X 40gb UDMA133 in stripped RAID array
Maxtor 90840D6 9gb
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
LG GDR-8163BB DVD Rom
LG GSA-4040B Super Multi DVD Drive
Windows XP Professional + SP 2

This appears to be a Windows XP problem, but is it possibly a
Motherboard restriction? (I would have

thought not because windows can see the whole drive, but just can't
format it).

I have spent a whole weekend trying to resolve this problem so any
pointers would be useful.

More about : format 200gb hard disk

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 5:18:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

does it see it in the BIOS? NO? Try a newer BIOS.

KK

!