Disable annoying dialup popup?

sunny

I'm running XP Pro SP2, with a LAN and broadband router for Internet
access, but I have a modem installed and a dialup connection configured
as a backup for the occasional DSL outage.

I've disabled autodial, but the "Connect <my isp> Dialup" dialog keeps
popping up at apparently random intervals while I'm using a browser, or
reading mail and news.

Is it possible to stop this annoying behavior, such that the dialup
dialog *only* appears when I specifically request it?

TIA

Sunny

peter

Hi,

Try run msconfig and uncheck the box for the dialup feature in the startup
menu, click apply and OK then reboot.

Hope it helps.

Peter

"Sunny" wrote:

> I'm running XP Pro SP2, with a LAN and broadband router for Internet
> access, but I have a modem installed and a dialup connection configured
> as a backup for the occasional DSL outage.
>
> I've disabled autodial, but the "Connect <my isp> Dialup" dialog keeps
> popping up at apparently random intervals while I'm using a browser, or
> reading mail and news.
>
> Is it possible to stop this annoying behavior, such that the dialup
> dialog *only* appears when I specifically request it?
>
> TIA
>
> Sunny

peter

Hi,

Furthermore, if you can't find any application in the startup tab to stop
the dialing popup, you can go to device manager and then disable the modem.

Peter

"Sunny" wrote:

> I'm running XP Pro SP2, with a LAN and broadband router for Internet
> access, but I have a modem installed and a dialup connection configured
> as a backup for the occasional DSL outage.
>
> I've disabled autodial, but the "Connect <my isp> Dialup" dialog keeps
> popping up at apparently random intervals while I'm using a browser, or
> reading mail and news.
>
> Is it possible to stop this annoying behavior, such that the dialup
> dialog *only* appears when I specifically request it?
>
> TIA
>
> Sunny

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > check Never dial a
connection. Make sure you select OK to save and exit. Unless you have
an application that changes the option, this should put your dial-up
access on a demand only basis.

jimbo

Sunny <sunny@nospam.net> wrote:

>I'm running XP Pro SP2, with a LAN and broadband router for Internet
>access, but I have a modem installed and a dialup connection configured
>as a backup for the occasional DSL outage.
>
>I've disabled autodial, but the "Connect <my isp> Dialup" dialog keeps
>popping up at apparently random intervals while I'm using a browser, or
>reading mail and news.

Disable the Remote Access Connection Manager in the Control Panel >
Administrative Tools > Services. This will also make the Dial-up
entries to go away from the Network Connections window. To use them
later, re-enable the service and start it manually.

--
(tm)

sunny

jimbo wrote:
> Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > check Never dial a
> connection. Make sure you select OK to save and exit. Unless you have
> an application that changes the option, this should put your dial-up
> access on a demand only basis.
>
> jimbo

Thanks, that did it!

(and leaves my dialup connection visible on the menu)

Sunny