Darrell

I have an interesting modem problem. Purchased a U.S. Robotics V.92 56k
modem. Everything works fine. I can dial into my ISP and/or RAS into our
network at work. However, at no particular time during the day, I notice
on my phone that the line is open (via a little light on the phone).
Pick up the reciever, and there is no dial tone. I cannot dial out or
recieve calls. The only way to get this back is to restart the computer
or unplug the phone line from the modem then plug it back in. Some
investigation indicates that the modem may be bad. Anybody else got any
suggestions?

Thanks!

Hello

Well could be the modem or could be the telco cable
that you are using try the telco cabe first, if you still have
the same problem I would repalce the short

Alvin

Darrell wrote:

> I have an interesting modem problem. Purchased a U.S. Robotics V.92 56k
> modem. Everything works fine. I can dial into my ISP and/or RAS into our
> network at work. However, at no particular time during the day, I notice
> on my phone that the line is open (via a little light on the phone).
> Pick up the reciever, and there is no dial tone. I cannot dial out or
> recieve calls. The only way to get this back is to restart the computer
> or unplug the phone line from the modem then plug it back in. Some
> investigation indicates that the modem may be bad. Anybody else got any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks!

Phone line (from wall jack) goes into "LINE" connection
Phone then plugs into 'PHONE" connection.

If you have the modem in between the wall jack and the phone, this should be
the cableing scheme.

"Darrell" <Darrell.Wright.nospam@okc.gov> wrote in message
>I have an interesting modem problem. Purchased a U.S. Robotics V.92 56k
>modem. Everything works fine. I can dial into my ISP and/or RAS into our
>network at work. However, at no particular time during the day, I notice on
>my phone that the line is open (via a little light on the phone). Pick up
>the reciever, and there is no dial tone. I cannot dial out or recieve
>calls. The only way to get this back is to restart the computer or unplug
>the phone line from the modem then plug it back in. Some investigation
>indicates that the modem may be bad. Anybody else got any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!

bar

You can by a relatively cheap connector that plugs in-line between wall
outlet and modem: this will disconnect the modem if another telephone
handset is picked up.

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> Phone line (from wall jack) goes into "LINE" connection
> Phone then plugs into 'PHONE" connection.
>
> If you have the modem in between the wall jack and the phone, this should be
> the cableing scheme.
>

> "Darrell" <Darrell.Wright.nospam@okc.gov> wrote in message
> >I have an interesting modem problem. Purchased a U.S. Robotics V.92 56k
> >modem. Everything works fine. I can dial into my ISP and/or RAS into our
> >network at work. However, at no particular time during the day, I notice on
> >my phone that the line is open (via a little light on the phone). Pick up
> >the reciever, and there is no dial tone. I cannot dial out or recieve
> >calls. The only way to get this back is to restart the computer or unplug
> >the phone line from the modem then plug it back in. Some investigation
> >indicates that the modem may be bad. Anybody else got any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks!

I agree with you Darrell, I've had a few internal/external modems both that
would go "off hook" on their own.
Another exception maybe you have some type of fax software picking up when
you get an incoming call, at the same time you pick up the receiver - since
the fax software got interrupted it may be hanging the modem up "off hook".
If you have any fax software, try checking the configuration on it.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

"Darrell" <Darrell.Wright.nospam@okc.gov> wrote in message
> I have an interesting modem problem. Purchased a U.S. Robotics V.92 56k
> modem. Everything works fine. I can dial into my ISP and/or RAS into our
> network at work. However, at no particular time during the day, I notice
> on my phone that the line is open (via a little light on the phone).
> Pick up the reciever, and there is no dial tone. I cannot dial out or
> recieve calls. The only way to get this back is to restart the computer
> or unplug the phone line from the modem then plug it back in. Some
> investigation indicates that the modem may be bad. Anybody else got any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS