Kyocera: "Toner cartridge empty", printing blocked

Hello. My laser printer Kyocera FS 1010 KX says "toner finished" and
refuses to print. I already shook the cartridge (toner powder fell
out) and restarted the printer, but that helped only two times. The
last pages i could print were perfect, so i want to use the old
cartridge some more time, even with slightly fading letters (my old HP
laserjet can be used until the last gram of toner, it never stops
working).
The manual says, after changig the cartridge i should reset the paper
counter by pressing the green button. The Kyocera hotline says, i have
to change the cartridge now. I mostly use the printer in pale economy
mode for simple text pages. Maybe the printer just counts printed
pages and says "toner finished" regardless of how much toner was
actually used up? The hotline says, no, the printer checks the actual
toner use before saying "toner finished". (I don't use the Remote
Operation Panel software to monitor the printer, or is it of any help
here?)
Do you know how to use the old cartridge some more time, even though i
get the "toner finished" lamp?
Thank you!

joel

henrik2000@aol.com (Henrik2000) wrote:

> Hello. My laser printer Kyocera FS 1010 KX says "toner finished" and
> refuses to print. I already shook the cartridge (toner powder fell
> out) and restarted the printer, but that helped only two times. The
> last pages i could print were perfect, so i want to use the old
> cartridge some more time, even with slightly fading letters (my old HP
> laserjet can be used until the last gram of toner, it never stops
> working).
> The manual says, after changig the cartridge i should reset the paper
> counter by pressing the green button. The Kyocera hotline says, i have
> to change the cartridge now. I mostly use the printer in pale economy
> mode for simple text pages. Maybe the printer just counts printed
> pages and says "toner finished" regardless of how much toner was
> actually used up? The hotline says, no, the printer checks the actual
> toner use before saying "toner finished". (I don't use the Remote
> Operation Panel software to monitor the printer, or is it of any help
> here?)
> Do you know how to use the old cartridge some more time, even though i
> get the "toner finished" lamp?
> Thank you!

I do you bother to ask this question? If the toner is emptied then all
you need to do is getting a replacent, and if you don't want to buy the new
one then buy the toner-kit which costs around $10-15 a pop. Then spend
10-15 minutes to refill the toner, and you will have a cartridge with full
toner to go for another few years.

I don't have Kyovera to know all small detail, but I have owned Epson and
Brother laser printers, and I just pop-in a cartridge with toner and they
start kicking without having to reset anything. DRUM is a different story,
I have to tell the printer I have newer drum, it checks to make sure the
drum is ok, then reset the counter.

If there is some toner left in the cartridge then you can shake the
boobies few times, and it may be able to print 10-20 more pages (not worth
the trouble). So, bring your donkey to eBay or google to search for cheap
toner-kit, and go from there.