How can I share a cable modem connection between both of m..

Is this difficult to setup?
14 answers Last reply
More about share cable modem connection

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:18:13 -0500, "David Mills"
    <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Is this difficult to setup?

    You need a network router with NAT and DHCP. You wire the two
    computers to the router or you can use wireless cards with a wireless
    router to accomplish the task.
    Do a google.com search for windows networking. If you don't need to
    network the two computers together so they see each other using the
    Network Router with NAT and DHCP connected to the cable modem
    is quick and easy.

    Here is a ebay auction with a wired Network Router that has NAT and
    DHCP.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23778&item=5745598070&rd=1

    Information by Netgear on the Router:

    http://www.netgear.com/products/details/RP614.php

    http://www.netgear.com/pdf_docs/RP614v2_datasheet_13Nov2003.pdf

    If your computers are fairly new they should already have LAN ports
    for the cables.

    If you want a wireless network check out D-LINK or LINKSYS. The only
    drawback is that you will need to use encryption to prevent your
    neighbors or war drivers from using your computers, if you live out in
    the sticks then you won't need to worry about that.

    --
    Best Regards, Keith
    http://kilowatt-radio.org/ NW Oregon Radio Page

    yabbadoo, you must have something set up wrong or your "Sitecom" router
    is junk. I have a cable modem always on with a router that connects
    three computers, two wired and one wireless. Any or all computers have
    internet access at any time.

    jimbo

    get a router

    The 3 word answer (get a router) is correct - however, I've just done this

    Whether or not this is how it's SUPPOSED to work (documentation doesn't
    say) - but here's my experience

    NTL cable modem, permanently on, connected to a "SITECOM" switch (router),
    capable of serving 4 pc's
    2 pc's connected via ethernet cards to the switch.

    Whichever pc last had connectivity to internet will still be connected on
    next boot.
    In order to connect the other, have to switch modem off and back on.first.

    In effect, it's an expensive solution to avoid the hassle of disconnecting
    modem lead from back of one PC and insert into the other. With the "SWITCH"
    description, I'd expected this to be automatic. Perhaps it's because I have
    the modem permanently on (it's plugged into a 6-socket unswitched electric
    connector, difficult to get at).

    Hope this helps, Len

    yabbadoo wrote:

    > Whichever pc last had connectivity to internet will still be connected on
    > next boot.
    > In order to connect the other, have to switch modem off and back on.first.

    Why not simply replace the defective router?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    David Mills wrote:
    > Is this difficult to setup?

    no

    "Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote in message >> Is this difficult to setup?

    > no

    thanks

    Bruce, Jimbo - since I've never done this before (nor do I know anyone who's
    doing it) and the documentation is (shall we say) limited - I wasn't aware
    that the switch/router was faulty!
    Assumed that the modem itself had to be disconnected to re-set itself to
    recognise which pc was attempting to connect.
    Advice appreciated, it will be back to the store for exchange. Thanks! Len

    "yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    > The 3 word answer (get a router) is correct - however, I've just done this
    >
    > Whether or not this is how it's SUPPOSED to work (documentation doesn't
    > say) - but here's my experience
    >
    > NTL cable modem, permanently on, connected to a "SITECOM" switch (router),
    > capable of serving 4 pc's
    > 2 pc's connected via ethernet cards to the switch.
    >
    > Whichever pc last had connectivity to internet will still be connected on
    > next boot.
    > In order to connect the other, have to switch modem off and back on.first.
    >
    > In effect, it's an expensive solution to avoid the hassle of disconnecting
    > modem lead from back of one PC and insert into the other. With the
    > "SWITCH" description, I'd expected this to be automatic. Perhaps it's
    > because I have the modem permanently on (it's plugged into a 6-socket
    > unswitched electric connector, difficult to get at).
    >
    > Hope this helps, Len
    >

    > "David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Is this difficult to setup?

    bro, power off the modem, plug the router into the mix, plug your computers
    into the router, power everything back on.....

    after that you just surf your heart out.

    David,

    Everyone talks about using routers....a good solution, but I'm using a
    software proxy that lets me do the same basic things (surfing, email,
    etc). You run the proxy on the machine connected to the cable modem,
    then configure the other machines on the network to use the proxy
    address. The only disadvantage I see is you have no "bells and whistle"
    protection (but I run the firewall and virus scanner on the main
    machine....) AND you have to have the main machine on if anyone else
    wants to use the connection. Also, you have to have 2 network
    connectors on your main machine; one NIC connected to the cable modem
    (in my case, the on-board NIC connector) and a second NIC for your
    internal/home network (I use a cheap add-on PCI network card).

    Please note....this is your very basic (free !) "solution", and my
    network is hard-wired, so I don't know how any of this new-fangled
    wireless stuff works <g> !

    I use AnalogX proxy, available from www.analogx.com. See the readme for
    info on how to configure the machines on the network.

    HTH !

    Dean...

    David Mills wrote:

    > Is this difficult to setup?

    yes you can do it that way, but.......

    you require extra NICs and it requires more work than i believe the post
    really wanted to deal with.

    i may be mistaken, but thats my thoughts.

    EasyFeelings wrote:

    > yes you can do it that way, but.......
    >
    > you require extra NICs and it requires more work than i believe the post
    > really wanted to deal with.
    >
    > i may be mistaken, but thats my thoughts.

    Easy,

    I hear you <g> ! I just wanted to point out that there are other
    options besides hardware solutions....depending on the OP's knowledge
    and patience <g> to get things running smoothly !

    Dean...
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I understood original post to reflect my situation, which is my own and
    daughter's pc's as standalones, the only joint requirement being the need
    for both pc's to have access to one cable modem.

    We have entirely different needs. My pc is a general workhorse. Hers is a
    laptop primarily used for Uni studies and gaming (in which I have no
    interest). We both use internet banking, e_mail (with different ISP's) and
    the internet, and that's about as close as our interests/needs converge.
    Needless to say, I'm landed with maintaining both systems!

    We considered "networking" but, in this individual situation, cannot
    perceive any benefit to justify yet more expense and hassle (we just bought
    a router to solve the modem access problem, immediately redundant if we
    networked).

    I'm open to reasoned argument if I've missed anything in my "need"
    assessment .....remember the laptop is used at Uni as well as home, so needs
    to retain "standalone" functionality.
    Sincerely, Len.

    "D Larsen" <dmlarsen@bunk.compuserve.com> wrote in message

    > EasyFeelings wrote:
    >>
    >> yes you can do it that way, but.......
    >>
    >> you require extra NICs and it requires more work than i believe the post
    >> really wanted to deal with.
    >>
    >> i may be mistaken, but thats my thoughts.
    >
    > Easy,
    >
    > I hear you <g> ! I just wanted to point out that there are other
    > options besides hardware solutions....depending on the OP's knowledge
    > and patience <g> to get things running smoothly !
    >
    > Dean...
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On advice from the forum, bought new LAN card and crossover cable from
    DABS.com (UK) total cost £9.56 incl postage, 3 days delivery. Installed,
    configured, internet up and running on both pc's in less than half an hour.

    Answer to your original post is therefore "NO".

    Thanks to all who helped, esp. John Coode who provided link
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics which gives idiot-proof guidance on
    pc network set-up after installation.

    Sincerely, Len.

    "David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is this difficult to setup?

Hardware Connection Modem Microsoft Cable Windows XP