How can I share a cable modem connection between both of m..

January 21, 2005 2:18:13 AM

Is this difficult to setup?
January 21, 2005 4:54:34 AM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:18:13 -0500, "David Mills"
<davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Is this difficult to setup?

You need a network router with NAT and DHCP. You wire the two
computers to the router or you can use wireless cards with a wireless
router to accomplish the task.
Do a google.com search for windows networking. If you don't need to
network the two computers together so they see each other using the
Network Router with NAT and DHCP connected to the cable modem
is quick and easy.

Here is a ebay auction with a wired Network Router that has NAT and
DHCP.

Information by Netgear on the Router:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/RP614.php

http://www.netgear.com/pdf_docs/RP614v2_datasheet_13Nov...

If your computers are fairly new they should already have LAN ports
for the cables.

If you want a wireless network check out D-LINK or LINKSYS. The only
drawback is that you will need to use encryption to prevent your
neighbors or war drivers from using your computers, if you live out in
the sticks then you won't need to worry about that.

--
Best Regards, Keith
http://kilowatt-radio.org/ NW Oregon Radio Page

yabbadoo, you must have something set up wrong or your "Sitecom" router
is junk. I have a cable modem always on with a router that connects
three computers, two wired and one wireless. Any or all computers have
internet access at any time.

jimbo
January 21, 2005 10:36:58 AM

get a router
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:31:22 PM

The 3 word answer (get a router) is correct - however, I've just done this

Whether or not this is how it's SUPPOSED to work (documentation doesn't
say) - but here's my experience

NTL cable modem, permanently on, connected to a "SITECOM" switch (router),
capable of serving 4 pc's
2 pc's connected via ethernet cards to the switch.

Whichever pc last had connectivity to internet will still be connected on
next boot.
In order to connect the other, have to switch modem off and back on.first.

In effect, it's an expensive solution to avoid the hassle of disconnecting
modem lead from back of one PC and insert into the other. With the "SWITCH"
description, I'd expected this to be automatic. Perhaps it's because I have
the modem permanently on (it's plugged into a 6-socket unswitched electric
connector, difficult to get at).

Hope this helps, Len

"David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is this difficult to setup?

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:31:23 PM

yabbadoo wrote:

> Whichever pc last had connectivity to internet will still be connected on
> next boot.
> In order to connect the other, have to switch modem off and back on.first.

Why not simply replace the defective router?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
January 21, 2005 4:08:36 PM

David Mills wrote:
> Is this difficult to setup?

no
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 6:41:39 PM

"Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote in message >> Is this difficult to setup?

> no

thanks
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 9:15:58 PM

Bruce, Jimbo - since I've never done this before (nor do I know anyone who's
doing it) and the documentation is (shall we say) limited - I wasn't aware
that the switch/router was faulty!
Assumed that the modem itself had to be disconnected to re-set itself to
recognise which pc was attempting to connect.
Advice appreciated, it will be back to the store for exchange. Thanks! Len

"yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
news:o EkggU7$EHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> The 3 word answer (get a router) is correct - however, I've just done this
>
> Whether or not this is how it's SUPPOSED to work (documentation doesn't
> say) - but here's my experience
>
> NTL cable modem, permanently on, connected to a "SITECOM" switch (router),
> capable of serving 4 pc's
> 2 pc's connected via ethernet cards to the switch.
>
> Whichever pc last had connectivity to internet will still be connected on
> next boot.
> In order to connect the other, have to switch modem off and back on.first.
>
> In effect, it's an expensive solution to avoid the hassle of disconnecting
> modem lead from back of one PC and insert into the other. With the
> "SWITCH" description, I'd expected this to be automatic. Perhaps it's
> because I have the modem permanently on (it's plugged into a 6-socket
> unswitched electric connector, difficult to get at).
>
> Hope this helps, Len
>

> "David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Is this difficult to setup?

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 12:32:02 AM

bro, power off the modem, plug the router into the mix, plug your computers
into the router, power everything back on.....

after that you just surf your heart out.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 12:59:11 AM

David,

Everyone talks about using routers....a good solution, but I'm using a
software proxy that lets me do the same basic things (surfing, email,
etc). You run the proxy on the machine connected to the cable modem,
then configure the other machines on the network to use the proxy
address. The only disadvantage I see is you have no "bells and whistle"
protection (but I run the firewall and virus scanner on the main
machine....) AND you have to have the main machine on if anyone else
wants to use the connection. Also, you have to have 2 network
connectors on your main machine; one NIC connected to the cable modem
(in my case, the on-board NIC connector) and a second NIC for your
internal/home network (I use a cheap add-on PCI network card).

Please note....this is your very basic (free !) "solution", and my
network is hard-wired, so I don't know how any of this new-fangled
wireless stuff works <g> !

I use AnalogX proxy, available from www.analogx.com. See the readme for
info on how to configure the machines on the network.

HTH !

Dean...

David Mills wrote:

> Is this difficult to setup?
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 10:37:54 AM

yes you can do it that way, but.......

you require extra NICs and it requires more work than i believe the post
really wanted to deal with.

i may be mistaken, but thats my thoughts.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 10:37:55 AM

EasyFeelings wrote:

> yes you can do it that way, but.......
>
> you require extra NICs and it requires more work than i believe the post
> really wanted to deal with.
>
> i may be mistaken, but thats my thoughts.

Easy,

I hear you <g> ! I just wanted to point out that there are other
options besides hardware solutions....depending on the OP's knowledge
and patience <g> to get things running smoothly !

Dean...
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 5:36:13 PM

I understood original post to reflect my situation, which is my own and
daughter's pc's as standalones, the only joint requirement being the need
for both pc's to have access to one cable modem.

We have entirely different needs. My pc is a general workhorse. Hers is a
laptop primarily used for Uni studies and gaming (in which I have no
interest). We both use internet banking, e_mail (with different ISP's) and
the internet, and that's about as close as our interests/needs converge.
Needless to say, I'm landed with maintaining both systems!

We considered "networking" but, in this individual situation, cannot
perceive any benefit to justify yet more expense and hassle (we just bought
a router to solve the modem access problem, immediately redundant if we
networked).

I'm open to reasoned argument if I've missed anything in my "need"
assessment .....remember the laptop is used at Uni as well as home, so needs
to retain "standalone" functionality.
Sincerely, Len.

"D Larsen" <dmlarsen@bunk.compuserve.com> wrote in message

> EasyFeelings wrote:
>>
>> yes you can do it that way, but.......
>>
>> you require extra NICs and it requires more work than i believe the post
>> really wanted to deal with.
>>
>> i may be mistaken, but thats my thoughts.
>
> Easy,
>
> I hear you <g> ! I just wanted to point out that there are other
> options besides hardware solutions....depending on the OP's knowledge
> and patience <g> to get things running smoothly !
>
> Dean...
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 5:50:43 PM

On advice from the forum, bought new LAN card and crossover cable from
DABS.com (UK) total cost £9.56 incl postage, 3 days delivery. Installed,
configured, internet up and running on both pc's in less than half an hour.

Answer to your original post is therefore "NO".

Thanks to all who helped, esp. John Coode who provided link
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics which gives idiot-proof guidance on
pc network set-up after installation.

Sincerely, Len.

!