JohnN

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2001

Is there any benefits to run Windows XP professional in Dual CPU PC ?
Will XP makes use of both CPU for faster processing ?

Hi

Yes

Al

johnn wrote:

> Is there any benefits to run Windows XP professional in Dual CPU PC ?
> Will XP makes use of both CPU for faster processing ?

If you paid for two CPUs and the motherboard, you must use
XP Pro for them to both be used at all, Windows XP Home will
only see one processor. Windows XP Pro will see both CPUs
and if the application or game is written to make use of two
CPUs, then you will get an improvement in performance.

The simple answer is that dual CPU REQUIRES XP Pro,
otherwise you will only have one CPU support.

"johnn" <johnjohn9191@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Is there any benefits to run Windows XP professional in
Dual CPU PC ?
| Will XP makes use of both CPU for faster processing ?

Not for most games.

And most other software may need to have been written so as to use the
second CPU.

"Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Yes
>
> Al
>
> johnn wrote:
>
>> Is there any benefits to run Windows XP professional in Dual CPU PC ?
>> Will XP makes use of both CPU for faster processing ?

bar

OK most of what's written so far is great: in summary then:-

To use Dual CPU with Windows XP one must install XP Pro.

Two CPUs will ensure that for most applications and system functions, your
throughput will be better than a single CPU: on the premise that you had one
CPU in the first instance and then added an identical CPU in the second slot.

If one were to compare 2 x 1.5Ghz CPUs verses 1 x 3.0Ghz CPU then the single
CPU system will outperform a dual configuration. This is because of the
'overhead' on the system management functions when there is a multi CPU
environment. A case of 1+1 is not equal to 2 but more like 1+1 = 2 - 12%.

In order that an application can benefit from 2 CPs it must be written in
such a manner as to allow for dual processor mode. Otherwise the Operating
System has to manage that application using one a single CPU, so some games
will behave as if you were running on a 1.5Ghz System, if we use the example
above.

Now for a really good in depth report go to:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/reviews/article/1511.2/

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> If you paid for two CPUs and the motherboard, you must use
> XP Pro for them to both be used at all, Windows XP Home will
> only see one processor. Windows XP Pro will see both CPUs
> and if the application or game is written to make use of two
> CPUs, then you will get an improvement in performance.
>
> The simple answer is that dual CPU REQUIRES XP Pro,
> otherwise you will only have one CPU support.

> "johnn" <johnjohn9191@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | Is there any benefits to run Windows XP professional in
> Dual CPU PC ?
> | Will XP makes use of both CPU for faster processing ?

Hyperthreading is a different issue from dual processors.

"Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message

in message

| > If you paid for two CPUs and the motherboard, you must
use
| > XP Pro for them to both be used at all, Windows XP Home
will
| > only see one processor. Windows XP Pro will see both
CPUs
| > and if the application or game is written to make use of
two
| > CPUs, then you will get an improvement in performance.
| >
| > The simple answer is that dual CPU REQUIRES XP Pro,
| > otherwise you will only have one CPU support.
|
| XP Home does see two CPU's in systems supporting
Hyperthreading mode.