CD Drive isn't being read

I came home the other day and put in a music CD, but my programs, like
Windows Media Player, are not even showing proof of a CD drive, they can't
find it. It won't run any CD's at all anymore. I checked to see if it was
plugged in to the computer but it's just a lot of colored wires and they seem
to be hooked up fine, is there anything else I have to do?

The following is from
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-84155.html

Are you getting this same message when you try and play MP3's? I'm guessing
not based on the error message you are getting.

For your internal cd-rom does if have a play button on it? If so pop in a cd
and hold down the shift button for awhile until windows stops thinking about
what it should do and it won't auto-start any programs to try and play the
cd. Then just hit the play button on your cdrom it should start playing the
disk and bipass any of the windows programs.

If the above doesn't work see the following to repair ASPI (WNaspi32.dll can
be replaced with different versions by programs lilke Norton Ghost.)
http://www.chickensys.com/translator/misc/aspiproblems.html

Free version of Translator
http://www.chickensys.com/downloads/translator_free.php