J: not accessible. Parameter is incorrect. How to fix?

Paul

Splendid

Hi, i recently brought a Maxtor 200 gig 7200rpm DiamondMax 9 SATA 6Y200MO,
and partioned it useing the maxtor software into 2x 100gig partions, to find
out that after copying files to one section of the partion they all got
corruppted and now the hdd displays this message,

J: not accessible. Parameter is incorrect.

I am running windows xp pro with SP2 and i have a maxtor IDE 120gig hdd that
runs fine as a solid partion, and i also have a maxtor 80gig that runs fine.
I have also deleted the partions and remade them, to end up with the same
problems. I have searched google and quite alot of ppl have had the same
problem but i have found no solution. The motherboard is brand new.

How does one fix this problem??

Thanks.

bar

Not having had the smae porblems with Maxtor software I can't give a direct
answer: however if you have a friend who has Norton System Works 2005, there
is Partition Magic 8 with it.

Go and set up your hard drive on their PC using PM 8. Or buy PM8 and use
this, indeed you could also try Device Manager in XP itself!

"Paul" wrote:

> Hi, i recently brought a Maxtor 200 gig 7200rpm DiamondMax 9 SATA 6Y200MO,
> and partioned it useing the maxtor software into 2x 100gig partions, to find
> out that after copying files to one section of the partion they all got
> corruppted and now the hdd displays this message,
>
> J: not accessible. Parameter is incorrect.
>
> I am running windows xp pro with SP2 and i have a maxtor IDE 120gig hdd that
> runs fine as a solid partion, and i also have a maxtor 80gig that runs fine.
> I have also deleted the partions and remade them, to end up with the same
> problems. I have searched google and quite alot of ppl have had the same
> problem but i have found no solution. The motherboard is brand new.
>
> How does one fix this problem??
>
> Thanks.

Paul

Splendid

Cheers Bar. Will check that out!

Ta

> Not having had the smae porblems with Maxtor software I can't give a
> direct
> answer: however if you have a friend who has Norton System Works 2005,
> there
> is Partition Magic 8 with it.
>
> Go and set up your hard drive on their PC using PM 8. Or buy PM8 and use
> this, indeed you could also try Device Manager in XP itself!
>
> "Paul" wrote:
>
>> Hi, i recently brought a Maxtor 200 gig 7200rpm DiamondMax 9 SATA
>> 6Y200MO,
>> and partioned it useing the maxtor software into 2x 100gig partions, to
>> find
>> out that after copying files to one section of the partion they all got
>> corruppted and now the hdd displays this message,
>>
>> J: not accessible. Parameter is incorrect.
>>
>> I am running windows xp pro with SP2 and i have a maxtor IDE 120gig hdd
>> that
>> runs fine as a solid partion, and i also have a maxtor 80gig that runs
>> fine.
>> I have also deleted the partions and remade them, to end up with the same
>> problems. I have searched google and quite alot of ppl have had the same
>> problem but i have found no solution. The motherboard is brand new.
>>
>> How does one fix this problem??
>>
>> Thanks.

If the system is running Windows XP with SP2 installed, then you should use
Disk Managment (native to XP) to set up the partition. Partition Magic
should really only be using in resizing/moving the partition around.

As for Maxtor MaxBlast software, you should only use it if the PC can not do
48Bit LBA support. Maxtor also stated that you should be using version 3.6
(or greater) of the software. They had problems with the "older" versions.

> Not having had the smae porblems with Maxtor software I can't give a
> direct
> answer: however if you have a friend who has Norton System Works 2005,
> there
> is Partition Magic 8 with it.
>
> Go and set up your hard drive on their PC using PM 8. Or buy PM8 and use
> this, indeed you could also try Device Manager in XP itself!
>
> "Paul" wrote:
>
>> Hi, i recently brought a Maxtor 200 gig 7200rpm DiamondMax 9 SATA
>> 6Y200MO,
>> and partioned it useing the maxtor software into 2x 100gig partions, to
>> find
>> out that after copying files to one section of the partion they all got
>> corruppted and now the hdd displays this message,
>>
>> J: not accessible. Parameter is incorrect.
>>
>> I am running windows xp pro with SP2 and i have a maxtor IDE 120gig hdd
>> that
>> runs fine as a solid partion, and i also have a maxtor 80gig that runs
>> fine.
>> I have also deleted the partions and remade them, to end up with the same
>> problems. I have searched google and quite alot of ppl have had the same
>> problem but i have found no solution. The motherboard is brand new.
>>
>> How does one fix this problem??
>>
>> Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS