Xp Hardware upgrade help

I was forced to upgrade my motherboard.
I have two hardrives both with xp sp1.

When I upgraded the motherboard windows now keeps on restarting just as it's
starting to load.
this happens with both hard drives, Also in safe mode.

I know that xp doesn't take to upgrades very well, but do not want to
reinstall XP.
Does anybody have any idea what I can do.

Thanks, James.

You do a repair install, XP will not boot until the mobo
matches the installation.
see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

"woofer" <spunk@spunky.com> wrote in message
|I was forced to upgrade my motherboard.
| I have two hardrives both with xp sp1.
|
| When I upgraded the motherboard windows now keeps on
restarting just as it's
| starting to load.
| this happens with both hard drives, Also in safe mode.
|
| I know that xp doesn't take to upgrades very well, but do
not want to
| reinstall XP.
| Does anybody have any idea what I can do.
|
| Thanks, James.

bar

To add an item of importance to Jim's good comment:

If you have an OEM edition of Windows XP [such as supplied if you have
Toshiba, IBM, Compaq etc branded PC] or if your PC came from a 'white'
manufacturer with Windows XP preinstalled; then you may be in violation of
the EULA to perform a change of Mobo.

The Branded editions of XP installation disk will only function on the
original hardware that was supplied with the PC and some White brand OEM
editions will display the same problems.

If you have an OEM edition of XP, then you will need to purchase a full
retail edition of XP [be it Upgrade version to XP Pro, or a full versionof XP
Home or XP Pro].

Repair Install to SET XP to New Motherboard:

1.Do Not BOOT into Windows XP on first boot after Motherboard or Hard Drive
change!
2.If your computer does not support booting from the CD, check your OEM or
Motherboard makers web site for updated BIOS.
3.Perform a Repair Install by following the step by step below.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below:-

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows
installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to
start the repair.

Make sure that you have the XP Product Key available to input when prompted.
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not
press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue
as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will
remain intact.

You may also be required to reactivate Windows when the installation has
been completed.

Warning: Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked, enable
the XP firewall before connecting to the internet. You can activate XP after
the firewall is enabled.

Click Control Panel - Network Connections, Right click the connection you
use, Properties, and there is a check box on the advanced page.

Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP
installation. SP2 may be available on a CD at most PC shops free of charge
and will make this process much faster. You will not need to apply SP1 as
all updates are included or further updated in SP2.